It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obituary of Child Abuser, Written by The Abused Children, Pulled from Newspaper

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Hushabye
I think the children are emulating their parent in a way. They're crybaby-ing about their troubled past- and externalizing it as well. Why bother? If they are, indeed finally at peace and have some closure, couldn't they just leave it alone and get on with their lives?

Seems petty to me...and childish.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Maybe read it.. sure, child abuse victims are cry babys.

got ya.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I tried to dig some more into this story and found very little. I did find this which describes the childrens childhood with the mother.

Their childhoods
From 1963 to 1964, six of Johnson-Reddick’s children were admitted to the Nevada Children’s Home in Carson City, the long-standing orphanage that closed in 1992.

The children lived there until they either turned 18, joined the military, got married or were ordered to go back and live with their mother, according to state documents at the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services.

Katherine Reddick was the last sibling to leave the orphanage in April 1974 at the age of 18.

While Johnson-Reddick’s children said they had two other siblings, records were found for just one brother who died as an infant. An article in Reno Gazette-Journal archives said William Patrick Reddick, 16 months old, died in a foster home in Las Vegas in 1964.

Katherine and Patrick Reddick both testified at the Nevada Legislature in the 1980s on bills related to child abuse and the termination of parental rights.

“We were constantly physically, mentally abused even after being taken away and put in the children’s home,” Patrick Reddick said during his testimony in 1987. He said that on weekends, they were sent home to an office on Court Street in Reno, sometimes lined up and beaten with a steel-tipped belt.

Despite being removed from their mother and placed in an orphanage, the court system never tried to terminate parental rights, he said Wednesday.

“It was something that could have given us a life,” Patrick Reddick said. “How do you let a child live in foster care for 14, 15 or more years?”

Patrick said he still hopes someday the rights of children outweigh parental rights.

“The things she did to us were horrible,“ Katherine Reddick said. “But it’s still happening to kids every day.”

Both said one of their sisters died a few years ago, and they don’t keep in touch with the other four. The RGJ was unable to reach the other siblings.

“You can imagine that the lives we lived, it has been hard to have a normal one,” Katherine Reddick said.
www.rgj.com... ( on page 3)

So we have a lot of Bull Caca here. Worst thing the kids said so far is they slept on the floor. BIG DEAL. They claim physical and mental abuse yet we have No WORD on what those abuses were or if the state really did find the mother guilty.

BUT look at the ages of the kids and the dates they were admitted to the foster home.

SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP HERE.

Those kids would have to have been Very young before they got put into foster care. I Know small children are impressionable. I saw a state social worker convince my wife's 9 year old son ( her previous marriage) he was being abused by coaching him and getting him to say things that were not true. This happens all the time.

So here we have children under the age of 10 who made allegations. They state they were further abused IN THE FOSTER CARE and Not by the mother. This woman could NOT have abused these kids for very long - they were no longer with the mother.

But as you see the media is SPINNING this like these kids are finally free from a lifetime of abuse from this woman - nothing is further from the truth. ( read the above linked article in the Op's post and the related links under the video and you'll see what i'm saying.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
double post - because ATS is being silly.

edit on 12-9-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix
I'm glad they pulled it because

Children should respect their parents. Even if they are bad parents. The bible puts it like this Honor your mother and father. Yeah.. these kids are going to hell for this LOL.

One more illogical reason why I detest the bible.

Thanks, as if I needed more.

"Honor thy abuser and thy torturer."

Sounds legit.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix
double post - because ATS is being silly.

Not just ATS it seems.

Pity any kids you have...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix

Children should respect their parents. Even if they are bad parents. The bible puts it like this Honor your mother and father. Yeah.. these kids are going to hell for this LOL.

We don't know any of the truth of this matter. She was investigated - what was the findings? Apparently she didn't serve jail time so they found nothing.

Obits are supposed to help folks remember the good things in a persons life and keeping this obit in the paper would encourage other adult CHILDREN to again act like spoiled brats and cause strife and resentment between other family members. You can't have family feuds because some smart alec adult children are mouthing off in public. That's just not right.

I'm really shocked! It worries me deeply that people with this type of attitude are around, I could see it potentially contributing to the acceptance of child abuse. Respect is earned, not deserved. A parent that abuses their child deserves no respect, least of all from the victims of their abuse. This post goes a long way to show the disturbed mentality of some Christians. These poor kids get sexually abused by their mother, and THEY are the ones going to hell because they lack respect for their parents? That's an incredibly disturbing idea, and some wonder why people have a problem with Christians?

They don't have a family feud because the kids were mouthing off in public. They have a family feud because their MOTHER SEXUALLY ABUSED THEM. I cannot fathom you really believe the way you do, I strongly suspect this was a troll post, and if it was I fell for it.

If it wasn't a troll post, I'll pray for your soul, you need it. And I'm not even religious.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Excuse me buddy?

Dude.. If I were you.. I would Not go there.

We don't know really how bad things were for these kids - not saying it didn't happen but we can't get much info online about it. The media IS spinning this thats a fact. I'm not downplaying real abuse issues just saying there is more to this story than we know. For that you attack me? Dude.. Get A Life.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Now you've gone and got me riled.
Is your life history plastered on the web? Just because it's not doesn't mean things never happened to you.

How dare you insinuate that these kids are lying and are just spoiled brats. You don't know what they went through so don't try to pretend that you do.

Did you read the article that you posted?

Where's the thumbs down button when you need one?

edit on 12-9-2013 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

James1982

They don't have a family feud because the kids were mouthing off in public. They have a family feud because their MOTHER SEXUALLY ABUSED THEM. I cannot fathom you really believe the way you do, I strongly suspect this was a troll post, and if it was I fell for it.

If it wasn't a troll post, I'll pray for your soul, you need it. And I'm not even religious.

Negative. I didn't read anyplace that it says these kids were sexually abused by the mother. If i'm mistaken, please quote the passage.

(post by James1982 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

virraszto
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Now you've gone and got me riled.
Is your life history plastered on the web? Just because it's not doesn't mean things never happened to you.

How dare you insinuate that these kids are lying and are just spoiled brats. You don't know what they went through so don't try to pretend that you do.

Did you read the article that you posted?

Where's the thumbs down button when you need one?

edit on 12-9-2013 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

Why don't any of you seem to have any reading comprehension skills?

I never said they were lying - I said I know it happens and we dont have all the facts yet - which is TRUE. And yes.. this happened when these kids were below the age of 10. They are old adults now.. in the late 50's - it's been over 40 years since the had contact with the mother so by now they should have larned to forgive and forget - but the attitude shows as adults they are acting like spoiled brats. They had to know what such a scathing obituary would cause other people to do. it wasn't right.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Sad, sad situation...There is so much pain in that family...and I feel ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------

(The adult children are working out their issues and it'll take a long time?)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

LionOfGOD
The mother sounds like a monster.
If so, she deserves to have her name dragged through the mud.

So because they dragged her name through the mud, she deserves to have her name dragged through the mud?
You see what's wrong with this logic, yes?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix

We don't know any of the truth of this matter. She was investigated - what was the findings? Apparently she didn't serve jail time so they found nothing.

Obits are supposed to help folks remember the good things in a persons life and keeping this obit in the paper would encourage other adult CHILDREN to again act like spoiled brats and cause strife and resentment between other family members. You can't have family feuds because some smart alec adult children are mouthing off in public. That's just not right.

WOW. Just, wow. 'smart alec adult children' are you FREAKING kidding? So complaining that your parent, the person who is supposed to nurture you and support you through childhood into adulthood, ABUSES you, and makes your life miserable, speaking out about it is being a spoilt brat?

Your response is so worrying that I hope to whatever god, hell, I pray to ALL of them that you do not have children. If you do, then it hurts my heart to know they have such a narrow minded - and potentially abusive, parent.
edit on 12/9/2013 by bkaust because: typo

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I can completely understand their sentiments. If that obit had portrayed her as a wonderful, kind, loving, compassionate person what a slap in the face that would have been to her kids. I get it. My stepdad was a jerk and I'm being nice when I say that. When I read his obit that my mom put in the paper I was filled with an almost rage, a hurt and felt like it was a lie that did not represent who he was. Maybe it didn't represent my reality of who he was or my perspective. Over time, I got over it. I mean what was my mom supposed to say? He treated my kids terribly? I guess she loved him, despite his faults. I say if the kids were left with burying her and dealing with all the details then they had the right to say what they wanted. They probably had to pay for it and I truly believe that in dysfunctional families when deaths occur it's that much harder. It really is. There is that thought in the back of your mind where you wonder "what did I ever do to deserve that" and now I will never get a chance to know. Death is final. No more chances.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I guess I'm in the minority thinking the paper was correct in pulling the obit.

The mother is not there to defend herself. She might have had a biological mental illness or have been abused herself. There is also the small but very real minority of people who do make false allegations of abuse. This case my have been true but what about another case of a spoiled disinherited children who want revenge because they were cut out of the will?

Plus obits aren't the place to let the world know all the bad things a person did in their life. ( I have some relatives that would put a very bad spin on my life.) They didn't have to write an obit or they could have simply listed the date of her death and list of relatives.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Daughter2

The mother is not there to defend herself. She might have had a biological mental illness or have been abused herself. There is also the small but very real minority of people who do make false allegations of abuse. This case my have been true but what about another case of a spoiled disinherited children who want revenge because they were cut out of the will?

Plus obits aren't the place to let the world know all the bad things a person did in their life. ( I have some relatives that would put a very bad spin on my life.) They didn't have to write an obit or they could have simply listed the date of her death and list of relatives.

While I do see your point in regards to how some would act re: wills etc, I don't think suffering a mental illness is an excuse if she did in fact, abuse her children. If that was the case she should have given them up, rather than poison their existence.. Suffering from anger, anxiety, depression myself - there is no way on earth I would harm my daughter, if it was even a possibility, I would, or make my husband, remove me from the situation until help was sought. I have only met a couple of them, but there are just some people who should not be allowed to be given the gift of children, you can just tell they aren't right.

* this is all based on if it is true of course, I'm just assuming it is because I can't imagine all 6 remaining siblings making it up just because.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Daughter2

Certain illnesses can cause behaviors like that. Certain tumors can reduce your impulse control and that sort of thing. And it's well known that being a victim of child abuse makes you more likely to become an abuser later in life.

But there's a catch. Not all people with mental illness or a history of being abused go on to become abusers. There is still a very large aspect of personal choice involved, and the mother made her choice. It wasn't a one time instance of her getting carried away, this was long term, and the children were removed from the home, only to be sent back to her later.

There is a law that was put into place specifically because of this woman and get children. There is no reason to believe these people are making up their story, while there is ample evidence to suggest they are telling the truth.

Although you have caused me to change my mind a bit. I hadn't considered how this could become a popular way to attack people you don't like after they die, and that's not right. Using an obit as a way to settle scores isn't acceptable, like you mention people who's dead relatives cut them out of the will could use an obit to attack them over such a petty thing.

I think being a child abuser is definitely something that warrants a negative obit, but if we allow that it opens to the door to an ever lowering standard of how bad a person has to be before we accept someone writing a negative obit about them. Like you mention, your relatives that have issues with you could use an obit to attack you, for things that might very well be bad and true, but nowhere near bad enough to write a scathing obit about. Which brings up the point of how do we decide what is bad enough to warrant a negative obit, and who is deciding that.

Even if we say negative obits are only acceptable when the person was a child abuser, there is still the issue of confirming claims by the person writing the obit. Should newspapers be required to hire on a staff of investigators who's sole purpose is to confirm or deny claims made by people in obits?

Thanks for your post, it made me consider new aspects to this. I still think those people were fully justified in their obit of their mother, but now I see that allowing such things sets a precedent where horrible things could be written about innocent people in their obit.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join