It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Washington Redskins name offensive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hello,

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan (obviously) but I need to defend a rival.

www.cbssports.com...

There's definitely at least one group of people in Wisconsin offended: A Wisconsin tribe will be at the Packers-Redskins game on Sunday to protest the Redskins team name. However, the protest will probably have little effect on Snyder, who said in May that he "will never change the name of the team."

Of course the "Packers" fans will cause a stink.

Really – they are saying the Washington Redskins name is offensive.

Are those people just bored?

What about the Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Vikings or any other team names that seem offensive?

Give me a break. Tradition trumps BS.

edit on 12-9-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Fully agree that tradition trumps BS.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

lol

That is Pathetic. Those people are obviously bored.

I had seen a skit about something like that around 15 years ago or so.

It was about making "Little Red Riding Hood" Politically Correct.

It went something like.. . ..

Once upon a time there was a little girl and her name was Vertically Challenged Native American Riding Hood.

The point being that since Red was used to describe Indians that it was offensive so you should make it a politically correct term.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

thanks....I didn't think I was crazy on this topic.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

the tomahawk chop has got to go!!!!
drives my friend crazy!!
edit on 12-9-2013 by research100 because: dang spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Why would people find potatoes offensive?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

not sure.

I don't know what ewe are talking about.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

anon, you win for best post!!! that made me laugh

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Typical, with EVERYTHING going on in the world...THIS is news. What a joke.

edit on 12-9-2013 by UndergroundMilitia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If the Washington Redskins changed their name to the Washington Blackskins would that be offensive?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Carreau
If the Washington Redskins changed their name to the Washington Blackskins would that be offensive?

Not to me. But I am not offended about anything.

The sportscasters who refused to say the name "redskin" are idiots. I rue the day they were born, as their very existence lowers the overall intelligence and potential of the human race.

"Words" and "intent"....some give more credence to the former, while others to the latter. Consequently, it is a litmus test. The folks who put value in words instead of intent are typically the idiots that piss the rest of us off with this ancillary nonsense.

Unless by "redskin" they mean "bomb syria". Then it might be a relevant subject.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

I'm not offended by the name the Washington Redskins. But I understand how some people could be. Native Americans, for instance. Which it seems these people who are offended are.

P.S. I see your hate of Packers Fans and raise you my own hate of the Cowboys

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As a First Nations person, I am not offended by the Redskins team name.
It is clearly meant as a tribute to the strength and tenacity of our First Nations ancestors.
No team would name themselves after something to be ridiculed such as maybe The Any City Wimps.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

I am completely offended by the Minnesota Vikings, honestly portraying white people as vicious brutes with horns on their heads.

We must demand that the Vikings change their name!

Really! Huff, puff, and humpf

Didn't the commissioner say if one person is offended then something must be done. I demand justice and an end to the derision of the melatonin challenged.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My husband is a Native American, we have had a few conversations based on this subject. It's not that the Redskins name so so offensive, it is just that the Native's have no real respect in the United States. However, call a native you don't know a redskin and see their reaction. In my daughters dance recital a few years ago they danced to the Peter Pan song about "going to kill the engine", there is no Native American history month, and the gov't still shuts down no Columbus Day. The sports venue is big media. I say, if this is where something starts about them, and their true history this is a great place.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

I am curious which saints in new orleans they are talking about.

Some of the saints totally brutalized my ancestors. It is offensive to me that we pay homage to them.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Malynn
reply to post by gotya

I'm not offended by the name the Washington Redskins. But I understand how some people could be. Native Americans, for instance. Which it seems these people who are offended are.

P.S. I see your hate of Packers Fans and raise you my own hate of the Cowboys

See, that's the part that confuses me. Why is the mention of a group considered offensive? It seems the team is honoring the group by naming themselves after it. At the very least, they are being portrayed in a positive light. Is the term "red skin" simply offensive on its own? How?

If it were a pejorative term, I could certainly understand. You don't hear about the Colorado Crackers, or the Houston Honkies.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I think it's the term "redskins" I mean, Native Americans don't actually have red skins. That was a derogatory description coined by Caucasians wasn't it? I'm by no means an expert on racial slur history lol

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

only to someone who is determined and seeking something to be offended by

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Don't stereotype Packer fans.

No, it's not offensive. The Indians around here need to grow up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join