It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins defends pedophila

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by DeadSeraph

What lofty standards?
How lofty is it to denounce genocide?

Lofty enough that one should be equally willing to denounce child sexual abuse instead of defending what are obviously very poorly thought out quotes on the subject.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Dawkins isn't defending sexual abuse. He merely stating that some kinds of abuses leave more damage than sexual abuse. There are Christians who are abusive through their religious practices. That's a fact! He's saying that those kind of scars may run deeper than sexual abuse. I agree.

What he ISN'T saying is that living in a balanced, loving Christian home is worse than being violently raped.

edit on 12-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

windword

Dawkins isn't defending sexual abuse. He merely stating that some kinds of abuses leave more damage than sexual abuse. There are Christians who are abusive through their religious practices. That's a fact! He's saying that those kind of scars may run deeper than sexual abuse. I agree.

What he ISN'T saying is that living in a balanced, loving Christian home is worse than being violently raped.

edit on 12-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

Have you ever seen people claim that extremism in religion should be categorically and vociferously condemned within their contemporary religious communities? You should have, because it was one of the arguments used in the very debate you shared with me.

Why is it some people on the other side of the debate are not capable of doing the same when dealing with individuals they consider iconic? Dawkins never used any of those terms. He has (consistently) implied that religion is worse than child sexual abuse. He has not bothered to clarify those terms. Apparently you agree, and can't be bothered to see what an irrational claim this is, because you are still here defending it.
edit on 12-9-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

no where has prof dawkins " defended " peadophillia

the opinion that crime A can be more damaging to a victim than crime B is not " defending " crime B

your inability to grasp this is exasperating

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Malynn

Uh, I haven't read the article yet. But I seriously hope there is something more damning in there. Because based upon the quotes you quoted, he was definitely not "Defending Pedophelia"

I agree.

This is a totally useless thread.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Unrealised

Malynn

Uh, I haven't read the article yet. But I seriously hope there is something more damning in there. Because based upon the quotes you quoted, he was definitely not "Defending Pedophelia"

I agree.

This is a totally useless thread.

Comical.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

ignorant_ape

the opinion that crime A can be more damaging to a victim than crime B is not " defending " crime B

Star each other while you excuse a completely irrational argument. Makes no difference to me.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Lol oh my, weak and desperate even for you...

Creationist fails......comedy gold

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Leave it for religious nutcases to interpret(LOLZ) things wrong, that seems to be their best quality!

They think if their fling dirt on him, it would have some sort of backlash and it would make Atheism disappear!

"look Richard Dawkins is defending pedophilia, all Atheist must be like this!"

People are Atheist not because of Richard Dawkins! Atheist has been around ever since the word "god" was invented.. AND Atheist won't go away until the word disappears.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

luciddream
Leave it for religious nutcases to interpret(LOLZ) things wrong, that seems to be their best quality!

They think if their fling dirt on him, it would have some sort of backlash and it would make Atheism disappear!

People are Atheist not because of Richard Dawkins! Atheist has been around ever since the word "god" was invented.. AND Atheist won't go away until the word disappears.

I especially like the part where you called me a religious nut case. You and the previous poster should get together for drinks sometime. Seems like you'd have a lot in common. Maybe you could talk about how religion is worse than feeling up children.
edit on 13-9-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

ignorant_ape

Nowhere did I use the word "defended". The article uses the word "defends", and consistently points out how Dawkins has downplayed "mild" sexual abuse as being more tolerable than religions. Star for you anyways. Guess it's what the cool kids are doing.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

luciddream

I especially like the part where you called me a religious nut case. You and the previous poster should get together for drinks sometime. Seems like you'd have a lot in common. Maybe you could talk about how religion is worse than feeling up children.

I can't believe you still don't get it... What hope do we have if people can't even read an article and unsterstand the intended message. No matter how u try and portray what richard said it doesn't change the fact that the point being made is the abuse from religious teachings can be just as bad and in some cases worse than mild forms of sexual abuse. Yet the world is hysterical about how much damage sexual abuse can lead to with all the media attention it gets yet the BILLIONS of brainwashed people around the world believing they will burn in eternal hell for disobeying an extremely ignorant, egotistical deity goes widely unnoticed.. Can't u understand there are many forms of abuse. Teaching potential lies, installing fear in people, making people base their decisions on a book of analogies, myths, and euphonism is another form of abuse.

Young children don't have a choice of learning religious believes as most parents of a religious persuasion will automatically teach their children about there god as if its fact. When the child sees its peers all praying in church every week etc how would the child be able to question if INFACT their religion was truth. To them they wouldn't even question it because THEY KNOW NO DIFFERENT.

This without a doubt is a form of abuse.... Intentional or not.

And as we have stated before any abuse is bad and wrong... So why does sexual abuse get more attention than religious.. All religions have no hard evidence of gods existence and so in turn should be taken with caution. It's ok to think their COULD BE a god. That's healthy, but to Believe 100% and leave no doubt in ones mind is similar to insanity.. It's crazy to believe in anything 100% with out 100% proof.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DigitalResonance

It's become quite clear to me that I will never "get it". Apparently all of you "get it", but I don't. For once in my life I'm happy to plead ignorance.

Claiming that religion is worse than sexual abuse has got to be one of the most absurd things I have ever heard, regardless of the bleeding hearts in this thread who want to talk about how damaged they are because they heard about hell. I have a stepdaughter that is a victim of sexual abuse and it DRASTICALLY #ed up her life, and has had SERIOUS implications on her mental health. Her mother and I are Christians and I am quite sure that she doesn't feel the same as the rest of you. So if you want to patronize me for calling out Richard Dawkins for being a moron, be my guest. It just shows how hypocritical some of you can really be.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
There are plenty of atheists with religious upbringings - who upon growing up - consciously dismiss the religious ideas that they were raised with. In fact, I've come across many atheists bragging about how "smart" they were because they left religion.

On the contrary, I have never heard of an atheist say he was traumatized for life.... merely for just being raised with religious ideas. I wonder why that is.

edit on 13-9-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
On the contrary, I have never heard of an atheist say he was traumatized for life.... merely for just being raised with religious ideas. I wonder why that is.

The OP and other posters in this thread seem to be evidence that in certain cases a religious upbringing cannot be shed upon reaching adult age, and may remain so traumatized by this upbringing that they'll remain religious for the rest of their lives.

That it's the only life they're likely to get is a tragedy on an almost unfathomable scale

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

What do you think happens to child that thinks that they are the last generation of corrupt world that is about to be destroyed by Jesus? Do you think that they dream of a career, a family, do they save for college, retirement? Are they raised to grow up to responsible contributors to a civilized society?

Or, do they rejoice when they hear about wars and rumors of war, famine and earthquakes and a hopeless, troubled world?

Mathew 24:19
And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

How can this kind of mindset bring out anything but anti-social behavior?

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

edit on 13-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Because an atheist has snapped out of their brainwashed trance, thrown off indoctrination and has refused to be a victim of pathological guilt and shame.

edit on 13-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Disclaimer: (I`m not a christian or an atheist)

The main thing this dawkins fella seems to be forgetting is that pedophilia is illegal, religion is not,one is a crime the other is not.
He says:

I am very conscious that you can’t condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don’t look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism

For all of the 18th century and most of the 19th century slavery and racism was legal, pedophilia was not.

When a child who was raised as a christian turns 18 and becomes an adult they can choose to not be a christian anymore.When a child who was sexual molested turns 18 and becomes an adult they can`t choose to not be a victim of pedophilia, they will always be a victim of a crime.

edit on 13-9-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Tardacus
Disclaimer: (I`m not a christian or an atheist)

Impossible

You either believe there's a God, or you don't

Don't be scared to have an opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join