It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Rejects Syria's 30-Day Weapons Deadline

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Here's an article from August 24th...

State TV broadcast images of plastic jugs, gas masks, vials of an unspecified medication, explosives and other items that it said were seized from rebel hideouts. It did not, however, show any video of soldiers reportedly affected by toxic gas in the fighting in the Jobar neighborhood of Damascus.

news.yahoo.com...

So, did the Syrian government already seize this stuff or not?

edit on 13-9-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Deetermined
reply to post by beezzer

It already did. There's a new thread already on how a chemical attack may have taken place in Jobar yesterday. Ironically enough, it's the exact same location that the Syrian sponsored news media released information stating that a terrorist created chemical warfare lab was found in a tunnel there back on August 24th.

I feel for the Obama fans who have been claiming victory of politics over war. In my humble opinion, it's only going to get worse.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree, he and his cronies appear hell bent on war, he promised change and got a peace prize If strikes happen he should hand it back.
I just think TPTB want continual war, none stop war to keep the working class down and to line their pockets.
Scary to see that since 1776 the USA have been involved in war for 216 years
Syria is in a mess we all know that I just don't get why BoB has done a U-turn and become as bad as the rest of the bad uns.
Maybe it is the soldiers around the world who can stop it all by just putting down arms and saying "No we have had enough"...the people sure have.

Time for a hippy song methinks.

If only everyone would

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The problem is that America believes that it is the "World's Police".

When, in fact, it is nothing but an overweight neighborhood watchman with too much time on his hands, a dilapidated house, unkept garden, and spends his time poking his nose in everyone's business.

I find it ironic that we fight for "peace", that we fight for "freedom", yet constantly remove it from Americans.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Most of these factions are crazy and extremist in their own right.
Change will come from within.
As I said, they are already there, and totally nuts.
They will continue to try and kill each other off until the end of time.
The only way to curb the violence is continual use of thermo-barbaric weaponry. (sp. intended)
At least the oil will be accessible then without harm to the West.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Actually, I agree with the US rejecting the 30 days ..
It shouldn't take that long. And the language isn't strong enough.
ETA .. I still don't approve of any kind of strike against Syria.

edit on 9/13/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Cynic

The only way to curb the violence is continual use of thermo-barbaric weaponry. (sp. intended)

If the dictators were left in place and calling the shots, none of this would have ever happened.

Democracy in the middle east was always a pipedream because religion played too big of a role in their lives.
edit on 13/9/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Cynic

Wikipedia: Battle of Grozny

The 1999–2000 battle of Grozny was the siege and assault of the Chechen capital Grozny by Russian forces, lasting from late 1999 to early 2000. The siege and fighting left the capital devastated. In 2003 the United Nations called Grozny the most destroyed city on Earth. Russians had to kill around 300K before peace descended in Chechenya. Some factions do not understand anyother language.

However, West is to also blame in fueling the civil war in Syria. Why not remove the monarchy and dictatorship in pro-west ME regimes like Saudi, Kuwait, Jordan and others. Changes have to happen from all the sides.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It seems Putin's strategy worked. We must not underestimate KGB.

USA is now lost in domestic battles like debt ceiling and Obamacare.

Syria may give up chemical weapons in a month's time and this thing is off US's radar. Back to civil war as usual.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've stated how I feel in numerous different posts in different threads, so I don't think I'm going to go on that again. However, imagine if you were Kerry and had seen the evidence and were convinced Assad was using dirty tactics to kill off the rebels or anybody that might support them. Most of us haven't seen that evidence which would prove Assad's guilt. Given the backdrop of civil war and international support (through funding or information or other means) for or against the rebels and the history in the middle east and its religious factions, it's easy for us to be cautious and want this to go to the UN and not repeat Iraq or some of the other messes we think we've been involved in. We haven't seen the evidence that convicts Assad and that's the main difference between us and Kerry, but he question is has Kerry contemplated or studied the full breadth of information about the civil war in Syria and the history in the middle east? I suspect Kerry knows a lot about the middle east and could easily debate anybody on this forum, so I'd be shocked if he didn't know much.

Still, I'm not about to give our president the green light to unilaterally attack, despite that I think Kerry and our president probably have a better handle on what's going on. The thing is, the US has to work with other countries and we need to use the UN for its intended purpose and not become vigilantes. We tarnish our position by acting unilaterally.

I think it's interesting that Saudi Arabia alongside Pakistan helped fund and arm the Taliban as Afghanistan became engulfed in a civil war. Al Qaeda also joined and helped the Taliban. This all came after the Soviet attempt to install a communist government. The US, in Operation Enduring Freedom, entered Afghanistan and tried to unroot the Taliban to install some form of democratic entity and to ward away terrorist elements. Now, why would we support Saudi Arabia like we do when Saudi Arabia financed the Taliban, the very entity we went to war with in Afghanistan starting in 2001? Saudi Arabia is now supporting hte rebels fighting against Assad, and I have to wonder if there're any parallels to the civil war that preceded Operation Enduring Freedom. If the rebels manage to unseat Assad somehow and the more radical jihadist elements become too powerful, we could find ourselves in a similar situation that occurred in AFghanistan. How likely is that? Well, a recent study found that nearly half of the rebels are essentially jihadists. And when you take into account Russia and Iran and others who support Assad, they will be support those jihadists - if Assad is losing - every step of the way to make life difficult for everbody, thus countering out attempts to support the more moderate islamist rebels that likely would have setup a sunni leadership unfriendly to the iranians (and friendly with Saudi Arabia).

Not to mention there's a NATO survey that suggested widespread support inside Syria for Assad in 2012 and early 2013. How can that be? Probably because they just wanted to avoid war, not because they like Assad. In fact, there's research that shows whenever a system is attacked its members tend to support it regardless of their true feelings about hte system.
You can find that research here:
www.psychologicalscience.o rg - Why Do People Defend Unjust, Inept, and Corrupt Systems?...

Here's the reference link for the NATO survey:
www.liveleak.com - NATO data: Syrian population behind Assad...
edit on 21-9-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Americans have always ignored Shia and Christian minorities in the middle-east.

American policy has been dictated by petro-dollar rather than any humanitarian angle.

If an impartial study is done, Saudi king will be found the biggest human rights violator.

An empire always sows enemies when it leaves the path of truth and justice. This is what is the case.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Johnny,

Can you tell me what options USA provides Syrian people?

What options USA provided to Afghan people? Taliban is still there and far from rooted out. Internal security is still inadequate even after 10+ years of occupation. The situation will likely return to pre-occupation once USA leaves. Has any American really thought the reason for this failure?

The failure is because of lack of seriousness on the part of USA. The breeding ground of Taliban is Pakistan, a state that is a hotbed of radicalism. Pakistan remains untackled.

The political side of Al Qaida or Taliban has not been paid attention to by the West. This is the biggest reason of failure.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join