It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Are the Real Anarchists?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I must confess, I don't think of myself as being an anarchist. I get offended at the suggestion and go and on about how our constitution is a system of government with carefully specified limits on power, any of which not expressly delegated are forbidden to government.

Does my goal of individual freedom and the advancement of the human race as humans rather than as a hive collective perhaps ultimately demand it?

"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
-Thomas Alva Edison

The question is:

Who Are the Real Anarchists?

Few political ideologies are as misunderstood as anarchism. Confusion is so widespread, in fact, that those ignorant of this intellectual tradition often use the word “anarchism” as a synonym for “chaos.” Some of the confusion may arise from the fact that anarchism is today often solely associated with the anti-private-property anarchists of the nineteenth century, such as the followers of Mikhail Bakunin.

In the libertarian tradition, however, the anarchist society is merely the society in which individuals are not governed by a state built on monopolized violence and coercion, but instead govern themselves through organizations into which they have entered voluntarily. Among such institutions can certainly be found churches, schools, families, professional associations, markets, and tribes.

If all anarchists truly are united by opposition to a coercive state, then perhaps the question is irrelevant. For as libertarian anarchists know, a stateless society is likely to naturally produce widespread, complex, and successful markets. The anti-capitalist anarchists will simply be proven wrong, although they might perhaps be thanked for their service in opposing the state.

edit on 12-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There's a lot of daylight between anarchy and chaos. So much so that one has nothing to do with the other.

Those who don't, can't or won't get that are retarding humanity and themselves.

Like a parent who wont let their child play in the yard because of all the dangers outside.

Government is a misguided, inconsistent, often selfish parent and we are all unfortunate enough to be the children who arent allowed outside so we grow fat, soft, dumb and develop unhealthy co-dependent relationships with our parent filled with hate, fear and ignorance. Then we die.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have been called an Anarchist by people who actually know what it means.

I believe in my right to do as I please with out any interference from Government or Man, as long As I am not harming anyone.

Period.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

greencmp

"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
-Thomas Alva Edison

This got me thinking about all the advancements and discoveries that never would have come about or would have landed their respective discoverers/inventors in hot water under the regulation of today.

Try fashioning a giant wooden flying machine and taking it to the beach today and see if you get a visit from the cops or parks service

But I guess this has been the case for some time now. Socrates, Galileo, etc...

So dont despair if you're travels outside the box land you in pointless troubles. Maybe when you're long dead and buried society will see the err of its ways and you will be remembered for your works. Of course you'll have died a heathen at the hands of a bunch of frightened apes but que sera, right?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

benrl

I believe in my right to do as I please with out any interference from Government or Man, as long As I am not harming anyone.

Period.

I agree with you 100% problem is most people in the WORLD are not adult enough or aware enough to handle themselves appropriately and so those who were had to impose rules on those who were not. Not much has changed in the couple 1,000 years since Hammurabi had enough of those not keeping their hands to themselves...
edit on 12-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
When ever I've been called an Anarchist I tell them that I am a "Voluntaryist" And that Anarchists are Europeans in black ski masks.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So dont despair if you're travels outside the box land you in pointless troubles. Maybe when you're long dead and buried society will see the err of its ways and you will be remembered for your works. Of course you'll have died a heathen at the hands of a bunch of frightened apes but que sera, right?

All very good points, I generally do art and science so I always expected (perhaps even devised) to be long gone before recognition.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

abeverage

benrl

Period.

I agree with you 100% problem is most people in the WORLD are not adult enough or aware enough to handle themselves appropriately and so those who were had to impose rules on those who were not. Not much has change in the couple 1,000 years since Hammurabi had enough of those not keeping their hands to themselves...

Armed free people will do fine dealing with those who seek to do harm, even the old west was not the killing spree everyone seems to claim.

Armed society is a polite one, same would be true for a true Anarchist society, where each was his own law and moral code.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Armed free people will do fine dealing with those who seek to do harm, even the old west was not the killing spree everyone seems to claim.

Armed society is a polite one, same would be true for a true Anarchist society, where each was his own law and moral code.

It is amazing how well behaved people are when appearing to not be a threat is standard operating procedure.

The origin of the open hand, salute, discharging your cannons before entering a foreign port, etc. are all from the tradition of showing that 'I come in peace' sentiment.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

benrl

abeverage

benrl

Period.

I agree with you 100% problem is most people in the WORLD are not adult enough or aware enough to handle themselves appropriately and so those who were had to impose rules on those who were not. Not much has change in the couple 1,000 years since Hammurabi had enough of those not keeping their hands to themselves...

The reason it was not a killing spree was because the "Old West" is a myth as most people where not armed and laws were more restrictive in most cities And contrary to your statement there was law and lawmen enforced it, not civilians unless they were vigilantes, which often violated the law.

What do we do with the Fat Nudest Anarchist? Shoot em? But believe me although that fat %#$terd is not physically hurting anyone my eyes are bleeding...
edit on 12-9-2013 by abeverage because: grammar police state

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It must be torture to try and build a working consensus around the idea that collectivism is evil. Quite literally, you are on your own.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

benrl

Period.

That is exactly what a terrorist would say.

Thought criminal!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
It must be torture to try and build a working consensus around the idea that collectivism is evil. Quite literally, you are on your own.

You can call them collectivists, statists or globalists but yes, they are evil.

I didn't think I needed to point that out here on ATS but hey, go figure?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Thought criminal!

I Love You!

I love you too!, good boy!.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

John_Rodger_Cornman

benrl

Period.

Thought criminal!

Lol.

Im on ATS so I am on a list, they can just add that comment to my tab.

SHTF I better fade into the woods quick.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's important to remember that anarchism as a social philosophy has implications outside political governance. If one takes the position that anarchism is the opposition to all oppressive social institutions, then things like patriarchy and even agriculture should be included in the discussion, not just the government.

But I think that any anarchist who calls himself a "real" anarchist doesn't really get it. Anarchism refuses definition. That's kinda the point.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

It's important to remember that anarchism as a social philosophy has implications outside political governance. If one takes the position that anarchism is the opposition to all oppressive social institutions, then things like patriarchy and even agriculture should be included in the discussion, not just the government.

But I think that any anarchist who calls himself a "real" anarchist doesn't really get it. Anarchism refuses definition. That's kinda the point.

Check out the link to the article, it will make more sense to you.

I was on board with your assessment just earlier today. Happy reading!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBeardRay

When ever I've been called an Anarchist I tell them that I am a "Voluntaryist" And that Anarchists are Europeans in black ski masks.

Awesome avatar by the way Redbeard!

That was always my understanding as well until I read that article and was called one today in spirit and actually from many sources including Harry Reid. I got all upset and had to reevaluate.

The upshot? Fine, so be it.

There is a point to all this, check out my follow up thread about Harry Reid's rant (well, soft spoken disparagement anyway).

Anarchists Take Over Congress! - Harry Reid

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

In the English language, one word can have several meanings. The word crap for instance, is used in lots of ways:

"Thats crap"
-Pointing out a turd.
-Pointing out that a situation is less than ideal.
-Suggests that a statement made by a previous speaker may be in error or a deliberate lie.

"The toilets are a bit crappy"
-The WC does not meet the minimum standards of comfort expected from them.
-The toilet itself is covered in the former contents of someones bowel.

Heres another example of a word which is often used in multiple situations:

Destroyed
-Physically obliterated
-Physically fatigued
-Emotionally devastated
-Well beaten in a game

And one more:

Inhaled
-Breathed in
-Ate quickly

I think the problem that people have with Anarchism, and figuring out what it means, who anarchists really are, is that the word, along with many others, has been used over the years to describe all manner of behaviors, situations, scenarios. And you are absolutely right, it is often used where it has no business being used. A riot for instance, is not technically an example of anarchy, and yet, that is often the word used to describe such things. News anchors will often say things like "Scenes of anarchy outside of the G20 meetings today, as protest turned to riot....".

How much of that is propegandism, and how much is an accident of the need for newspapers and media faces to use sensational phraseology in order to attract readers and veiwers, and hold thier attention, is an arguement we could have until doomsday, assuming we had nothing better to do.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
There's a lot of daylight between anarchy and chaos. So much so that one has nothing to do with the other.

Those who don't, can't or won't get that are retarding humanity and themselves.

Like a parent who wont let their child play in the yard because of all the dangers outside.

Government is a misguided, inconsistent, often selfish parent and we are all unfortunate enough to be the children who arent allowed outside so we grow fat, soft, dumb and develop unhealthy co-dependent relationships with our parent filled with hate, fear and ignorance. Then we die.

Who moderates in an anarchy? The most level headed, least coercive of the society? Tribal law? I'm not sure if I am retarding humanity or if I am just the product thereof.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join