It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New medium SAM displayed in Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The recent MAKS airshow at Zhukovsky near Moscow displayed among other things, the first S-350E Vityaz Surface to Air Missile system. The S-350E is intended to replace the S-300, and is designed to go against swarm attacks by missiles and aircraft. It's being developed with export, as well as a mobile layered defense in mind.

S-350E

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It looks kind of like Iron Dome (probably looks like one inside too
), I presume they are gangable as well?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Actually, it's partially based on the South Korean KM-SAM Chun Koong system. It carries 12 missiles, a variant of the 9M96, but can also fire short ranged missiles (thought to be 9M100 variants) as well as medium ranged. It's believed to have a limited anti-missile capability as well so could be in a layered defense with the S400 and the S500.

Almaz-Antey helped South Korea develop the ladar units for the KM-SAM, and possibly some other portions of the system.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I couldn't find any examples in a quick search for the KM-SAM Chun Koong (they all just pointed the S-350E Vityaz or S-300). But, clearly not a rip off of ID. Its the software that I am always suspicious of though.

It is strange that the Russians would be cooperating on defenses of any kind with SK but hey, I dunno?

I guess they just won the bid, looks like BAE was competing and lost I think. It is a brave new world!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Russia even proposed Sukhoi aircraft for the Korean F-XX fighter competition, as well as helping with the SAM system.

alert5.com...

The Chun Koong uses a multi-radar system capable of doing the job of five radars. It's capable of targeting "hundreds of aircraft" operating at altitudes up to almost 50,000 feet. It's designed to replace the Korean HAWK systems.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

greencmp
I couldn't find any examples in a quick search for the KM-SAM Chun Koong (they all just pointed the S-350E Vityaz or S-300). But, clearly not a rip off of ID. Its the software that I am always suspicious of though.

Well if you are not going to steal what you can in national self defense ( at least they are not trying to steal Canada or Mexico as the US tries to do with the Ukraine, etc) why bother with it? There was an era when they Russians would have benefited greatly from stealing from US rocketry design/ system integration but that era is several decades gone...

It is strange that the Russians would be cooperating on defenses of any kind with SK but hey, I dunno?

Well if someone wants to buy your equipment and thus keep your industrial base more active than you could do on your own that would perhaps be reason enough; the fact that they took the capitalist lesson to heart should not have to be restated either! As for cooperating with SK specifically Russian does not imo stand to gain by the type of instability that might encourage North Korea to use their nuclear weapons offensively so if they can make money and prevent/keep distraction alive in the South that is a good enough reason to sell the SK their dual use Sam's.

I guess they just won the bid, looks like BAE was competing and lost I think. It is a brave new world!

The S-350E is based partially on the design of the South Korean KM-SAM Chun Koong system which Almaz-Antey helped designed. The Russian company developed three radar units for the KM-SAM, and is also believed to have helped the Korean missile manufacturer design the MK-SAM effectors. The Russian military closely followed the Korean development and in 2007 decided to back the development of a Russian derivative that eventually evolved into the Vityraz system.

defense-update.com...

So it seems somewhat involved but it looks like BAE ( and whoever else) had to be added just to make a show if it.... Frankly i don't know why one would, if given a choice, bother trying to buy SAM/ABM systems from anyone but the Russians at this point..

Stellar

top topics

join