It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Outdid itself with the new interface!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Okay, we've heard plenty about what isn't to everyone's liking on this detail or that. I thought I might share here how I've found to use the new interface and it's amazing for how it interacts and creates a 'full console' effect, if one desires it.

Everyone who has 2 or more monitors, try something here and see what you think...if you haven't found this already.

1. Open a new browser window and on the first tab, click the top line ATS menu to open the lower one. From that one, click "Live". This opens a new window with the 'New' topics list and the 'Flagged' list.

2. Move that new window with the lists off to another screen and leave the first one with ATS on your primary display. Now you have ATS on two screens at once, right?

3. Now whatever you do, DO NOT close or navigate away from ATS with that FIRST tab on the browser window across your main display. Open new tabs to surf wherever you want to go or whatever it is you're doing. As long as Tab #1 stays up and beneath everything else. (it can be minimized..just not closed entirely)

4. Gaze over at your secondary screen and pick a story...any story from those New or Flagged lists and click on it. If you weren't on Tab 1 of the main screen? Nothing will appear to have happened. Click on tab 1 again though....and look what changed. (BIG grin) Your clicked story from the secondary lists?....loaded automatically and without disrupting anything else ...on Tab 1. No new window popping up over everything. Just a change on the tab title header, if you weren't open to it.

Using these two things in combination is like a real time overview of pretty much everything important, new or popular, happening on ATS at any given moment. The lists on the secondary display can be re-sized to take just part of the screen and be unobtrusive...while still having view of the New list for breaking stories or developments.........which ATS members often beat much of the MSM for breaking, I've noticed.

Way to go on development, guys!

It's taking a bit of time to find everything and find how it all works...or works together, but the more I find? The more I'm in love with the new set up. This display set up I described above is something I've seen before in similar arrangement, but NEVER for public use or view and not on a site like ATS. That's the sort of display and activity overview usually reserved for Admin and Staff of a major site....if all of them even get such nifty and powerful tools! Not bad at all for a free site!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Awesome!

I'm glad you found something specific about 5/3 you really appreciate and enjoy. Just for full disclosure, this was all The Overlord. The staff, in our standard and customary support role, stood around lip diddling and performing a random series of asynchronous eye blinks.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Yay!!!!
It works now.
I tried this a couple of days ago, and checked everything that was open and it didn't do anything.
I figured it was one of those things that still needed tweaking for phones. Even on my iPhone, I've usually got 2 or 3 screens open.

Not all the features work yet for me though, I can't upload pics yet - I might need to update my iOS, but I can't do it with 3G, so it'll be a trip into the city for wifi, upload the whole phone to the cloud (when my husband updated his phone it killed it and he needed a new phone). Then update while I'm close to an Apple store....just in case things need fixing, or I end up needing a new phone....damn Cdn prices for these phones is ridiculous

I am liking how fast the screens load, much faster than the old ats. In town around wifi areas, it's instant

I've been getting used to both mobile and desktop versions at once. I'm set to desktop (more info, features), but some pages pop up as mobile, some as desktop.

I think SO has fiddled with the new version so much now, that it's taken on its own intelligence.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

I can't give you a star for this post so I will give you a flag!

I LOVE the new format and I've been waiting for someone to start a thread so I could say so, hehe. When I first tried it, I wasn't so sure about it, but now I don't miss the old format at all. OverLord did a superb job! I haven't checked out the mobile version yet, so I'll do that now.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I like the new smiley faces now better than the last replacements. Green is also my favorite color.
I like the scroll arrow to go back to the top when you go down the page also, that is a definite improvement.

Change is always a challenge and I can't seem to find how to get to my posts like they used to have so I can see the reaction to them. It's all right now.......since they got better emoticons or whatever they call them.

They'll get all the bugs out someday.
edit on 13-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join