It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick! Boulder, Co needs boats! This is rain!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
From the CBSDenver twitter feed twitter.com...

RT @ValCBS4: Flood sirens going off right now in Boulder "Flash flooding is eminent." GET TO HIGHER GROUND NOW. #coflood #boulderflood

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Another article specifically about the evacuation due to dam break.

www.9news.com...

There is an embankment currently holding back a significant amount of water which is 300 yards wide, three-quarters of a mile long and about 15-20 feet deep. That is equivalent to three football fields in width and 12 football fields in length. The embankment is expected to fail within the next hour and water will begin flowing in the neighborhood.

Not good!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   

scojak
I have a house in South Boulder, above the floodplain. My house is raised from the street a good three feet and I have three inches of water in my basement. My tenants have put tarps all over and dug trenches to route water. It's helped a lot, but this is probably the worst rain storm Boulder has ever seen. All they can do at this point is wait it out.

The whole town is screwed and Obama is heading there tomorrow. If things continue, there's a good chance FEMA won't be far behind.

That's terrible, I hope things get better for you and everyone out there asap.

I am curious on how mountains can flood, shouldn't the water naturally have a way to go down the mountain? I haven't spent much time in Colorado..

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Philippines

scojak
I have a house in South Boulder, above the floodplain. My house is raised from the street a good three feet and I have three inches of water in my basement. My tenants have put tarps all over and dug trenches to route water. It's helped a lot, but this is probably the worst rain storm Boulder has ever seen. All they can do at this point is wait it out.

The whole town is screwed and Obama is heading there tomorrow. If things continue, there's a good chance FEMA won't be far behind.

That's terrible, I hope things get better for you and everyone out there asap.

I am curious on how mountains can flood, shouldn't the water naturally have a way to go down the mountain? I haven't spent much time in Colorado..

Thanks for the kind words. It seems the worst is over, but we'll have to wait and see.

Boulder is below the Flatiron mountains, so yes, the water flows easily down the mountain until it gets to the city of Boulder where it's mostly flat with minor inclines and declines. With such heavy rainfall, debris accumulates to block drainage areas causing flooding.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
When is renaming ceremony? Lake Boulder? Boulder Sea? Boulder Ocean? Gulf of Boulder?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I can tell you from personal experience, it's EAY MORE than just Boulder. Road closures are long list from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins. Sme of our parks are 3 feet under water, sewage plants over run by floods, some parking garages I saw ad unde up to 7 ft of water. I live in the foothill and they were evacuating a mile from my house (where Red Rocks Amphitheater is) unheard of for this area. We received more rain in 2 days than we have the first 8 months of the year.
I gotta admit, I love rain and thunder storms....it's been pretty cool. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the people that have lost everything. It's a bad situation on such a huge scale.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Greeley, CO
80 people unaccounted for in Boulder
4 kellied, 172 unaccounted for

oops, I meant 4 killed
edit on 13-9-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

So, We have Estes Park, Evergreen, Lyons, Boulder, Greeley, Ft. Collins, Loveland, Johnstown, Milliken, and Denver all being flooded (along with everywhere inbetween), many parts being evacuated.
edit on 13-9-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Want to know what is really sad? It is against the law in the state of Colorado to have a cistern or build a means to collect water that falls from the sky.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
wow media in the u.k is saying 174 people missing

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The local news here says 500 missing/ 5 confirmed dead....I think many more will be taken from unaccounted to dead. I have constant rain again today, ground is fully saturated so its just pooling up, gutters are like creeks....

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

sdcigarpig
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Want to know what is really sad? It is against the law in the state of Colorado to have a cistern or build a means to collect water that falls from the sky.

Quite sad- I was pretty disappointed to learn this. Apparently there are quite a few states with rainwater collection laws... ridiculous. Laws in Oregon about it since 1925.. And you won't just get fined. They like to throw people in jail for it..

There are a couple sort-of recent laws in Colorado regarding rainwater collection (recent as in 2009) - Senate Bill 09-080 and House Bill 09-1129. They do NOT make ALL rainwater collecting legal.. limited collection and usage ONLY if you adhere to certain conditions/criteria.

read about the laws here

more about Senate Bill 09-080

more about House Bill 09-1129

In other news, the rain picked up again (last night, and this morning)- sort of stopped after lunch-ish time (south west of Boulder), but...

800 missing in Colorado as rain thwarts rescuers

-AA

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The situation is getting worse. The Denver Post is reporting 6 confirmed fatalities, 1253 people unaccounted for, 17,494 homes damaged, 1502 homes destroyed, and 11,700 people ordered to evacuate.

Heavy fog & rain is hampering rescue efforts. Not to mention the damaged infrastructure from mudslides and scouring. I hope the weather soon improves, and all those missing are found safe.
edit on 9/16/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/16/2013 by Olivine because: edit

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here's a link listing road closures. They're asking people not to come to Boulder, they're afraid they might not get out and resources are limited. Some roads are barely open for locals/emergency crews only.

Latest Colorado road closures caused by historic September flood

DENVER - Dozens of roads remain closed due to flooding and wash outs. Colorado Department of Transportation spokeswoman Amy Ford said preliminary estimates indicate 30 state highway bridges are destroyed and 20 damaged.

This is insane and it's only a preliminary estimate. From what I understand bridges on I-25 up north had water flowing over them.

State highways here are littered with bridges as well as county/private roads. Our bridges were in horrible shape to begin with. For several years repairs have been ongoing along the interstate but bridges on lesser roads are another matter. We've had 3 bridges collapse down here in the southern part of the state. Two were on state highways.

In rural areas many roads don't have bridges instead massive culverts are used with road bed on top. Flooding frequently causes them to fill with debris/sediment. Texas crossings are also common and severe flooding takes them out too.

All bridges/dams in the flood zone have to be inspected before making repairs. I really don't see how they can do it before winter hits. US/state highways will be the priority, rural people will have to rely on county road crews to reopen access roads, or they'll have to do it themselves. I wonder how many counties lost/or sustained damage to road equipment?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join