It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick! Boulder, Co needs boats! This is rain!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is looking like it may evolve into a real bitter winter. Folks around here say the Farmers Almanac is predicting a nasty one and this isn't encouraging to see at this point of the Season.

*Remember also, the rule of thumb as I went to look up, is 10:1 on Snow vs. Rain for precipitation depth behind the numbers. That is far from precise or a direct conversion..but it gives a sense of what this might look like if the temp was lower than it is right now. I think they'd be spotting lumps in the snow to indicate where a city might be underneath it. err.... Who did the rain dance, anyway?

Rainfall Totals Map

News Feeds Specific to Boulder, Colorado

Rainfall totals for the last 24hrs, for anyone unable to check the link map, are running 5-6 inches or more. One gauge on the map and just south of the downtown area by the look of it, shows 8.11 inches in that period!

That isn't rain..That's the weather to be asking people just how big a cubit really is...with urgency!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

If it were winter that would be snow .
I've heard from several people how we are in for a bad winter. We shall see, we shall see. I have two adult kids living in Boulder I will have to give them a call and see if they haven't floated away. Maybe they need a canoe or rowboat?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Just be sure to hurry back and tell us if they see an odd effort to collect animals, two at a time, with rumors of some crazy invention they're all headed toward.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
it is cold already in scotland 4 degrees yip i think it will be a cold winter it always is when we have a good summer

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Boats nothing, figure out a way to store that water and start getting it back into the storage, lakes, streams and rivers to make it where it can restore the dwindling water supply. If you are in a drought, means you take every opportunity to use such. Sides this time of year it is not uncommon in Colorado, especially at the higher elevations of seeing snow on the peaks of mountains.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Has been on the news this morning also: Not to nit pick because I too liked the 1 for 10 ratio however temp really makes a big difference. We've had storms with snow closer to 20 degrees -- moving the snow ratio closer to 20 to one. And, when it's warmer (35 to 40 degrees), the ratio moves to 5:1. Just info my friend and does not hopefully distract from the deluge taking place in Colo... If this winter is a super bad one, then the forecast will be a heck of a lot better than the forecast of hurricanes has been so far, no?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

You have a good point. The drought across some of the U.S. has been easing...slightly..but not so much in Colorado.

This is downright cruel to think of that way. Water water everywhere...and so little will go where it's needed.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

sdcigarpig
Boats nothing, figure out a way to store that water and start getting it back into the storage, lakes, streams and rivers to make it where it can restore the dwindling water supply. If you are in a drought, means you take every opportunity to use such. Sides this time of year it is not uncommon in Colorado, especially at the higher elevations of seeing snow on the peaks of mountains.

I've always wondered why there are no water collection/distribution points in flood prone areas just for the reason you state.

Is it too expensive? Do environmentalists object to water pipelines?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I feel sorry for those guys. We have had so much rain here that the humidity is almost 90 percent all the time. We have a creek running from the sweating of the toilet, and it is an insulated tank. you have to make sure that you don't let your pants touch the floor when sitting on the toilet or they get wet.

There is mildew growing on the bathroom door, I suppose it is all over, it is just that I can see it on the door. I'd get the disinfectant spray out, but why add extra moisture to the air. We've been having allergy symptoms, a reason shot heightened my immune system which is making things more Phlemmy.

When you mow the grass in places, there is a white mildew or mold that can be seen.

I could never live in the tropics where it is humid all the time. I might have to move farther north.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This is just crazy. I have never seen such torrential rains in my entire life, has happened almost every time it rains. I was wondering that myself, if this rain were to fall as snow we would be measuring in feet not inches. Through the winter each of these events would be piling on the other and when the spring thaw comes, look out. Roofs would have to be cleared so they don't collapse, exhaust vents too so the occupants don't suffocate. I am not looking forward to this winter and it seems no area is safe from these downpours.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Well i'm glad your getting some of it now. Here in NC we were beginning to think we lived in a rain forest. It's been very very wet. Corn around here is looking really tall and my yard is the greenest its ever been first of September. Usually the patch out front is dry as the Serengeti about this time (I give up watering around July)

Everyone who uses the Colorado is probably happy as well - large chunks of the desert in CA and AZ rely on the Colorado river system.

V

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Its been raining a lot here.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I swear when I hear things like you relate here? I have to think. There is NO Global Warming. Not in that term, there isn't. The climate system itself is just flat out broken. The Seasons run later and later each year, while often being more sharply defined than I ever recall it. Cold or Warm...doesn't matter for pattern, it seems. People are getting clobbered from both directions.

Whatever regulates all that, blew a fuse or something.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm outside of Boulder.. within an hour. Up into the sanctity and safety of the mountains.

Haven't lived in CO too long personally, but the locals say they don't usually get rain this heavy..

We've been rain nonstop for 48+ up here. At least my garden's really loving it..

Stay safe everyone.

-AA
edit on 12-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: grammar

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Most of SC is under an "Agricultural State of Emergency" due to all of the rain we had this summer.
Quad

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I think the governments and private companies are messing with weather manipulation too much. Coincidentally, they shut down HAARP and the Hurricane season is not very bad so far. Man has tried to control the weather for thousands of years and only has accomplished screwing it up.

Global warming...not a chance. Changing weather fueled by many causes is real. One of the biggest problems I feel is uncontrolled mining. They are messing with the magnetic field of the earth. The chemicals we dump into the water mess with the structure of the water and change the microbes which is even worse than CO2 emissions. Trees eat CO2. So do plants of all sorts. It helps them grow. Plant more trees, the ones out west are all burning. CO2 emissions are a part of this problem but not the whole problem. A tax will do nothing to fix the problem, it may supply wage increases for more scientists though.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Mmm.... I see I should buy my family tickets on the Amtrack and wax my snowboard for a ride to "Winter Park CO".... If this holds true.... There will be legendary slopes this season

Cowabunga?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
double posted, not sure how...
edit on 12-9-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

With snow as deep as this would have been, you could almost go skydiving without that big pesky parachute. You won't hit anything solid on landing....

Crazy times eh? Bone cracking drought one year? Floods down main street the next. I can't wait until we see both in the same region, in the same year! Oh.. wait... (thinks about drought map) Never mind. Err..

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Not looking to let up.. don't end up like a few so far.. be careful out there.

Flash Floods kill at least 3 in Colorado

Guess we're going to continue getting rain until Saturday.

-AA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join