It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get a hobby!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
No seriously, get a hobby! I've noticed that practically almost no-one that I know has one. It's morning, you wake up, do your morning duties, go to work, work, lunch, work, go home, you're tired and try to make food... You eat dinner and probably watch some TV, do ATS, and maybe even your husband or wife if you know what I mean.

But that's the typical life that I've come to accept around my friends, family, and even myself for the most part. What is your hobby? Think about that. Is it related by any chance to work or something you have to do? When you're on the computer, do you do the same thing at work almost? You at least do e-mail at work I'm sure. But what do you do that isn't TV or computer. Do you ever do anything?

Some people build ships in a bottle, tinker with mechanical trinkets, build survival shelters, or knit. A hobby is something that isn't remotely associated to your work, and it's something you can do to relax and stimulate your mind body and spirit. It could be anything you really want.

We live in a stressful time when we focus a lot on work (even at home), and sit into strange komputer-sutra positions that stresses our bodies to no end. Our bodies need something to soothe it. I'm no eastern-medicine kind of guy but if living like a hermit a while back for a few years (building startups) has taught me anything is that you can't just live your life sitting and focusing on work.

So get a hobby and enjoy yourselves!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
My hobby is playing golf or shooting my bow or reading
I also an avid game player, been playing Planetside 2 as of late...
edit on 9/12/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I love to do craftwork like making jewelry, embroidering, using pressed flowers to make cards and things, making all kinds of things, reading...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Crap! I can't handle another one! I have too many now!
Crochet, sewing, canning, gardening, making candles, soaps, reading, photography, and recently redecorating.
And work 40 hours a week?

Well, I would like to learn how to knit.....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
[snipped]

Anybody else relate?

Jokes aside, I go the gym 5 - 6 times a week and have done for 3 year now. I'v never been as motivated & positive in my whole life, I strongly recommended doing some exercise

edit on Thu Sep 12 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

I have enough hobbies that the 24 hours don't work for me anymore.

I'm one of those lucky people that i made a job out of my hobby. I have a bookstore. Yes, one of my hobbies is reading....

I also love movies, hiking, music (i write lyrics for a friend's band) and i play music one night a week in a local bar, i play video games(last year and a half-Star Trek online) and of course when i have more time i like to visit and explore strange places.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I enjoy reading.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I go to the gym 5 times a week to. And yes Noob i can relate to the other stuff!!!. I also love Photography, But have not been active in this for a while. But i will get going again this winter. It is so easy to get bogged down in life and forget about having fun!. I would love to do something like the London marathon or something eventually. I have been held back to long. I wan't to cage fight!.I want to climb Snowdonia and Ben Nevis!!. Now i am raring to go forth and conquer!!!!...Anything anyone wants to do...GO AND DO IT!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

It's funny i was saying the same thing the other day to my wife. My boys and I have decided to take up smithing. We are going today to pick up a brakedrum for a little forge. We been working on micarta handles for knives too. I want to make blacksmithing tongs first. Eventually i would like to make swords. That would be pretty cool. I just hope i can stay interested.

V

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I enjoy;

-Breaking into homes, re-arranging furniture, and signing a note, "The Feng Shui Bandit".

-Riding in elevators in tall office buildings after eating at Taco Bell.

-Going to tanning parlours with a bag of raisins asking people if they want a grape.

-Singing loudly at Banks.

-Filling out job applications and putting past work experience as "20 years as a Carnival Sideshow act".

-Getting stuck on escalators.

-Impersonating waiters at fine restaurants.

-Playing the harmonica to stray dogs.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I've turned to music producing with Ableton, only been doing it 4 or 5 months but I'm getting better!

soundcloud.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I also like to;

-Dress as a banana and go to ice rinks and shout, "Don't slip!".

-Create lobbyist firms to try to get cabbage considered a fruit.

-Collect used band-aids and sell them as nicotine patches.

-Try out for "American Idol."

-Go to tattoo parlours to get "bacon Piercings".

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I like to write poetry or read a book.
A general workout helps too.
Once in a while, when I feel very artistic, I even draw or spray.
Movies and games are always fun, though games are starting to bore me as of late.
Maybe will need to get that Dark Souls game sometime soon.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

I have several hobbies. I read a huge amount. I have been known to consume a seven hundred page volume in a little over four hours, so you can imagine how many books I could read in a month, or a year. I read an awful lot of fiction, with a particular focus on thrillers, crime, science fiction, fantasy, and combinations of the aforesaid. I also read the odd factual book, things like "A Brief History Of Time" by Hawking, or Cosmos, which is actually a coffee table book containing images and information on, you guessed it, the contents of the cosmos.

I also like to play my bass guitar. That is to say, I like to make a terrifying, bowel voiding din with my bass guitar. There is, in my opinion, nothing quite as satisfying as channeling all the rage of the day through four, rapidly vibrating strings, and making family and neighbors believe the sky is falling down, such is the fury expressed.

As a separate entity to my enjoyment of creating music (or whatever it is I create) I also enjoy listening to it, and seeing it live. One week out of a year, I go to a rock festival, and see the bands I love the music of. The rest of the time, I fiddle with my 5.1 speakers to increase the clarity of the various elements of my chosen love, that being all metal which is heavier than Metallica's Black Album (which in my opinion is them trying to be Garth Brooks, by sawing off their balls, and playing crappy ballads).

My other hobbies include going for extremely long walks with a certain lady friend, who shares my love of the great outdoors to such an extent that she and I will happily do twenty miles in a day... for fun, and I also enjoy playing pool. I used to be on a pub team back in the day, but the place turned into an EDL haunt, and I cannot be doing with that bunch of bastards, so I no longer go there.

I also like to play computer games. I like FPS the most, because they offer the catharsis I require, the opportunity to totally decimate something, without the attendant murder conviction is very helpful. I also enjoy puzzle games, like the many Breakout clones that continue to come out every year or so.

I have these hobbies, despite really enjoying the type of work I do. I love working around hot metal frag, flying off the wheel of our key cutting machines, I love the smell of burnt brass, as I shove a TCT drill bit through a lock face, and I love the process of stripping down, fixing and maintaining all kinds of locking gear. No matter how much one enjoys the labours of their work however, one should always have something else to occupy ones time, lest things become overly tedious, and the urge to bash in the head of the nearest conservative with a brick becomes far too great to deny!
edit on 12-9-2013 by TrueBrit because: Spelling mistaches...you see what I did there?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Most people just go on the internet when they have spare time, everything is virtual now we dont really need to get up off our arses and go get a hobby, you can just do it virtually online. eg. virtual golf,darts,snooker ect. Oh and SecondLife
!. Facebook is also actually considered a hobby by a lot of people
. My hobby is drawing/painting/tattoo design btw. And the internet lol.
edit on 12-9-2013 by Wandit777 because: missed a word out

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I never watch TV, unless there is something worth watching, which is not very often, due to the amount of drivel that is broadcast these days...

My main hobbies/pastimes are, Large canvas painting, writing books, stand up comedy (writing jokes), writing short stories, music and sorting out vintage/retro clothing to wear rather than just grabbing rubbish clothing from the rubbish clothes shops we have today...

And anything else that grabs me, the list is endless.....

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Variable
reply to post by Em2013

It's funny i was saying the same thing the other day to my wife. My boys and I have decided to take up smithing. We are going today to pick up a brakedrum for a little forge. We been working on micarta handles for knives too. I want to make blacksmithing tongs first. Eventually i would like to make swords. That would be pretty cool. I just hope i can stay interested.

V

Smithing is an amazing hobby to pick up! What you can even do is learn how to create your own brick by natural resources and then improve from there so that you can eventually get to creating your own forge. The only problem is gathering the necessary resources naturally which is practically impossible without going mining for the more complex stuff. But, creating bows, swords, and all that stuff is fuuuuuun

top topics

join