It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

If there were a hell it will be full of christians too, so you are pretty much screwed.

Good. I can waste my time teaching them how to relax and have fun.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Lol what makes you think Christians don't know how to party, i could drink my athesit hubby under the table back in the day and he is the one who doesn't like to have fun, old fuddy duddy

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

Lol what makes you think Christians don't know how to party, i could drink my athesit hubby under the table back in the day and he is the one who doesn't like to have fun, old fuddy duddy

Because most of the stuff I do at parties is considered sinful.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Post Reply to wrabbit2000 and for "Whom it may Concern!"

By the EstimatedProphet

The Pope is NOT a representative of God, but he is a secret agent of Satan!

There is no religion in this bloody world that God has ordained...All religion is false and is used as a tool to manipulate and to deceive the people. Yes, religion uses God as a "front" to back-up their lie of deceit!

What pisses me off, is that people are so stupid that they believe in such lies...My family "forced" me, as a kid to go to these stupid classes. It was a tradition of human believes to do what they call "the first communion!"

These F*king bastards wanted me to call them "fathers," totally contrary to what is written in scripture.

A Warning Against Hypocrisy

Matthew 23_Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2_“The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3_So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4_They tie up heavy, cumbersome (unmanageable) loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5_“Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6_they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7_they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8_“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9_And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have (but) one Father, and he is in heaven. 10_Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the (Christ) Messiah. 11_The greatest among you will be your servant. 12_For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

They forcibly wanted me to pray to my real father, "who is God," their way, and they are extremely contradicting themselves to what is written in scripture.

The pope is a counterfeit representative of God and he is also an Antichrist...He is part of the so-called "Illuminati," and the "secret societies" which are altogether organizations of human control and bondage through such systems of; religion and education and labor, etcetera...Yes, you are being brain-washed by their false "bull$h!t" systems and organizations!!!

The bible speaks NOTHING about religion. And what makes me angry, is that people confuse and/or believe that religion and faith are one in the same, which they are not...Faith is the belief in God through truth and religion is more based upon human "tradition and believes," more than a spiritual faith!

Yes, Santa Clause does not exist, but these stupid religions make-up things like this crap, to manipulate people and it works...At the ending of every year or every month a human tradition comes into effect through religion...Even Atheists and the stupid people who believe in Darwinism and evolutionary theories, come together and to believe in such crap and to celebrate in these human ideas.

Therefore, because of these truth's, your worldly religions are false and in contrary to what is written in scripture and thus, they are against God and His Son!

Quote by Skyfloating

The various Religions...including the Bible...actually teach that not ignorance is punished, evil is. So his statements are perfectly in line with biblical thought.

No, you are wrong and your lying, because the "Bible" says different...Ignorance is punishable because the people refuse to believe in the "truth!" "Amen!"

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

adjensen

Fromabove
So don't anyone be getting your hopes up that it's a win win situation. It's not and the Pope knows this. He just wants more Catholics in the herd and this is a tricky way to do it. He knows salvation only comes through Jesus Christ.

Kindly indicate where he says anything contrary to that.

He's not trying to "trick" anyone, and saying that atheists can still be saved by God is hardly likely to bring them into the Roman Catholic church.

Watering down the deity of Christ and His work of salvation would allow for many to want to befriend or even join the Catholic Church. Bible believing churches don't have that appeal as they believe what Jesus said, "except you repent, you will all likewise die."

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

AfterI, i think you are confusing Christian with Christ, surely you have partied with Christians

edit on 083030p://bThursday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Bible believing churches don't have that appeal as they believe what Jesus said, "except you repent, you will all likewise die."

How do know that non-believers aren't repentant in their hearts when they realize that they've done something wrong, or hurt someone?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think if there is a god, then god is beyond our comprehension. I highly doubt god is the egotistical, childish god portrayed in the holy books. Sending people who were raised under a different religion, or without religion at all to be tortured for eternity is a totally psychopathic thing to do. I highly doubt that god is a psychopath. Then again he created humans in his image, and most of you people are totally nuts

edit on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:42:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
What the Pope is saying is essentially true. If someone is a Non Catholic, and ignorant of the Catholic Church claim to be the true Church. They can be saved by following their conscience. For example, a Buddhist following his conscience can be saved. Of course the laws of God would still apply for such a person, they would be judged by what Catholics call "Natural Law", which Adam to Noah to Abraham were under; till Moses gave the Ten Commandments. Whether people in this situation go to "Limbo", or heaven proper would be a subject of debate. The traditional Catholic view would put them in "Limbo" since they're unbaptised; the same place Adam went to, till Jesus came.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This pope might really be the antichrist, first don't bomb Syria, now this

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

How is it a good thing?

Christ is said to have said (I'm paraphrasing here, so bear with me...)... "There are many rooms in my Fathers house, if it were not so, would I not tell you?".

There are many paths to Truth/Heaven/Nirvana... It's hubris to claim that you've the one true Path. 'Cause that's just not the case, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

TKDRL
I think if there is a god, then god is beyond our comprehension. I highly doubt god is the egotistical, childish god portrayed in the holy books. Sending people who were raised under a different religion, or without religion at all to be tortured for eternity is a totally psychopathic thing to do. I highly doubt that god is a psychopath. Then again he created humans in his image, and most of you people are totally nuts

edit on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:42:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

I feel the same way, basically word for word heh heh.

There is something that I don't understand about "the church" and/or Catholics denouncing what the Pope says. In the belief of Catholics, the Pope is an official representative of god here on Earth. The policies of the church are not the policies of god, if the Pope says they aren't. He is the highest authority on god's will, and if he says something is so, it's the duty of Catholics to submit to his decree. The policies of the Church cannot trump the Pope, as the pope is there to act on behalf of god.

It's akin to if god descended from heaven tomorrow, told the world that many of the Catholic practices and ideas are wrong. Would the church denounce the word of god, because it doesn't jive with the Church's rules? Probably not. But then I don't understand how they can denounce the words of the Pope, since the pope is the highest authority on the word of god, and was basically hired by god himself to be his messenger.

If they admit that the Pope can make mistakes and act on his own behalf and beliefs, then doesn't that totally degrade the whole position of a Pope in the first place? If the Pope doesn't have absolute authority here on Earth, then why should anyone listen to him more than they listen to anybody else?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I am not a religious person, I simply do not believe in man made scripture. With that said, this is probably the first pope in my life time that I can actually agree with. I don't see why that if you're a good person, you should be condemned to hell based solely on your religious beliefs. The Bible, Qur'an, Torah, etc. I think are basic guidelines on how to live one's life without being a dbag. And that those words aren't needed to get you into paradise or heaven if it exists.

And let's be honest here, do we really think that just because you go to church one a week that you should be saved? While you step over every homeless man on the way in? Good people deserve their reward in the afterlife, no matter if they're Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or nothing at all. Claiming anything otherwise is a direct contradiction of the scripture you believe in.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Wow, does the Pope honestly think Atheists give a flying f-bomb about what he (or any religious zealot, for that matter) thinks?!
The Vatican is an awesomely beautiful place- as is Rome-
(Been there twice- in 1998, an again in 2000- even went to the Pope's Easter mass- which, ironically, was boring as hell lol)-
but it represents the antithesis of human dignity, freedom, and rationality. It is the unholy demon child born from religion and government.
The Vatican knows it is fast approaching the event horizon, and they are desperately trying to stay relative.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

ltinycdancerg
Wow, does the Pope honestly think Atheists give a flying f-bomb about what he (or any religious zealot, for that matter) thinks?!
(Been there twice- in 1998, an again in 2000- even went to the Pope's Easter mass- which, ironically, was boring as hell lol)-
but it represents the antithesis of human dignity, freedom, and rationality. It is the unholy demon child born from religion and government.
The Vatican knows it is fast approaching the event horizon, and they are desperately trying to stay relative.

As someone that does not have a religion I appreciate these words. It shows that the Catholic church actually gives a damn about those not under it's cult.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

ltinycdancerg

I don't know, I'm not really an atheist, I'm just a "nothing" but I still care about the words spoken by the pope. Even if I don't follow his religion, millions do, and what he says can have a great effect on people and events around the world. Hopefully his words and actions will have a positive effect, in which case I'd be even more interested in what he says in the future.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

NewAgeMan
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Isn't all that based on a great deal of assumption?

edit on 12-9-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

Well, YES, Just like the concept of hell, heaven God etc.
It is all assumption... just like afterlife.

Most of you, believe in afterlife, cause you are afraid of death
You feel depressed and unsecured to know that same day life will end,
There comes religion, to ''save'' you
Believe in me, and you will live forever in my kingdome, to come blah, blah, blah...
if you don't then you will be torture for eternity blah, blah, blah

Fear is the reason for faith. Just admit it, and you will begin seeing beneath the veil
Just choose, being ''secured'' or knowing the truth

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

wrabbit2000
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

May I ask about your history BEFORE you were wiccan? I have a reason to ask this..because many "disgruntled" and former Christians "became wiccans" and I wouldn't be surprised if you have a similar history. You still seem to defend and believe in many dogmas of the RCC and I simply can't see this being the case if you hadn't some Christian "experiences" in your past. As mentioned earlier, you "defending" some dusty things there puzzles me more than anything.

Since it bears directly on this discussion, yeah, I will. I was raised Protestant at the wishes of my Father while having all the exposure I wanted to the RCC through my Mother. In my teens, I got into the Occult and deep into some very bad and outright dangerous areas of black magick. To make what really is quite a long story short enough to be decent? I'll summarize by saying a group of very kind and very well accomplished Wiccan Faithful assisted my friends and myself to get out of the bad mess we got ourselves into.

After doing what I was obligated to in extricating myself from that whole mess and becoming an adult, I took Wicca as my own Faith. There was and is no hard feelings toward the Faith I was raised in. I didn't leave it, as much as I found something I felt a much better fit to my personal belief system and sense of what was right. That's the super simple version and leaves about a book worth out...but it covers what you asked.

So, I'm not like most you may have run into, by the sound of it. I'm not of another Faith and looking back at Christianity with spite or contempt. I have no issues with that belief system at all, in it's own right. Whatever floats someone's boat...and if it makes them a better life for it? All the better. If not? Get out and find something (or nothing, if that be the case) which does make things better.

You never really lost faith, You just made your revolution, like most teens do

To believe to the power of black magic you first have to believe in god, good and evil etc.

You may chose an alternative path (wicca) of faith later on. But your concept of faith and god stayed the same. That might be the reason why you are negative towards the Pope's statements, and why you wonder if thats the case whats the reason of church anymore...

Truth is wicca is not a dogma, so there can be christian wiccans, buddist wiccans etc.
But wicca is part of the neopagan ''movement''.
the true and ancient form of ''paganism'' was totaly different. their view of Gods had absolutely nothing to do with ours and the monotheistic dogmas.
Ancient Gods were mainly sympolic figures of different aspects of nature and life behaviour... thats why it was unthinkable for them, the concept of one God

Sorry for my off- topic post. I just wanted to add that, todays neopaganism and christian church, are not very far away.
And the idea of one world religion, sounds more and more possible

edit on 13-9-2013 by Dr1Akula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

SadistNocturne
All of these interpretations of the Bible...even from the Pope himself...

But, if you go back to the Council of Nicea, you realize that the "bible" was entirely edited by man.

Come on. I've got some Aesop's Fables for you to read when you're done with the bible...

I say this with respect and not in the spirit of denouncement, but you are making declarative statements about something that you don't seem to know much about. The Council of Nicea had nothing to do with the 'editing of the Bible'. It mostly concerned itself with Arianism, the Nicene Creed and the date of Easter.

Establishing Cannon wasn't part of the Nicene Council. At all. For you to make such a fundamental mistake might suggest that your other assumptions might be in error.

Eric

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

"Now, it's odd because he's echoing my own sentiments and I've voiced similar things..."

Are you really implying the pope is copying from you? LOL!!!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join