It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ''Anatomy'' of Mental Illness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Like I said, people react to everyday things differently, it's not that much of a stretch to think that people will also react to not so "ordinary" things differently. A group of people see the same ghost, some will be fascinated and curious, others will run for the nearest exit in sheer terror. Just because some people can handle seeing other dimensions fine( or whatever the spirit realm is, or ghosts), doesn't mean everyone will. Also, like I said, they might not all be seeing the same dimension. If more than one dimension exists, I would say that infinite dimensions exist, and some are probably akin to what most would consider hell.

I am not claiming that it's 100% that they are experiencing sensory stimuli from another dimension, but I am also not going to arrogantly take the stance that "hallucinations" are all 100% in a person's head either. It's impossible to know that. Psychiatry/psychology is not backed up by much real science. They make claims of chemical imbalances for all kinds of illnesses, yet, no one I know that was diagnosed with anything had any science to back up the claim. None had brain scans that could show the problem, blood tests etc etc, that could say it was true.

If a doctor says I have cancer, they can prove it with a biopsy. They couldn't do so when they claimed I had a chemical imbalance in my brain that made me more vulnerable to depression. I have had my brain scanned, and it came back 100% normal. Brains are still very much a mystery, I have a feeling they always will be.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by FlyersFan

Psychiatry/psychology is not backed up by much real science. They make claims of chemical imbalances for all kinds of illnesses, yet, no one I know that was diagnosed with anything had any science to back up the claim. None had brain scans that could show the problem, blood tests etc etc, that could say it was true.

If a doctor says I have cancer, they can prove it with a biopsy. They couldn't do so when they claimed I had a chemical imbalance in my brain that made me more vulnerable to depression. I have had my brain scanned, and it came back 100% normal. Brains are still very much a mystery, I have a feeling they always will be.

This is exactly why the medical model of psychosis is unreliable, we are still using a "disease" formulation when, as you point out, if this were the case there would be specific biological markers and as result, pharmacological treatment that actually works.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by particlezen

I worked with the mentally ill and I have seen drugs work for some people, it is a lot of trial and error but they can and do work for people, It can be a long hard process getting the dosage and the right drug but they do work.
If I became mentally unwell I would ask for drugs to help.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by particlezen

I worked with the mentally ill and I have seen drugs work for some people, it is a lot of trial and error but they can and do work for people, It can be a long hard process getting the dosage and the right drug but they do work.
If I became mentally unwell I would ask for drugs to help.

They "work" by minimizing distress, the underlying delusional systems and voice hearing experiences tend to remain, although people are less emotionally aroused or reactive due to the blunting effect of neuroleptics. Antipsychotics have not been shown to have any greater efficacy than Benzodiazepines in promoting an individuals ability to cope with their symptoms, yet they continue to be routinely prescribed due to the dopaminergic hypothesis, which also lacks clinical evidence.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

FlowThruSpace
People who fancy themselves Napoleons, Hitlers, Stalins.. there is no way you can convince them they are wrong. Unless you tread carefully and apply a fixed set of mental principles they can respond to. Then, and only then, do you have a chance.

I'd guess that it is more common for people perceived as being mentally ill to claim that they are something important than that they are Jesus or Napoleon. Now.. here's something most people never thing about: what if that feeling of being something important was caused by other people, who use certain kind of conditioning techniques systematically? It also helps, if the targeted person is kept stressed as that hurts his abilities to use his frontal cortex (area of executive functions).

Just for no good reason.. here's a summary of personality subtypes (according the Millon): www.millon.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join