It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aquaculture as a hedge for hyper-inflation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
One of the best fish for aquaponics is Tilapia because it needs 1 gallon per fish to grow. I have not heard of any other fish that can grow so densely packed, but then again I am new to this. Aquaponics is interesting to me but to start I believe the hardy Tilapia would be the best bet in my area of the Central Valley... But you can't register Tilapia Aquaculture here so this is why I ask for advice to my survival bretheren. How difficult is it to introduce this in your area and how cost effective would it be for you in relation to any other aquaponics fish.
For those who consider Bug-In concepts or want to have seeds, know-how and fish stock to move where it is safe and start anew, this is a possibility. Loading up a truck with your seeds, fish frys, PVC piping, pumps and pond liners is possible and if the gas doesn't deplete before you reach your destination then the know-how you carry is crucial. This compared to finding arable land, farm equipment and all the etc for traditional farming is harder to move and sustain. Aquaculture uses 90% less water than traditiona farming.
Anyone buddy buddy with anyone in aquaculture registration in California Department of Fish and Wildlife?? I ask because if you are watching this radioactive disaster to our pacific ocean, you might consider aquaculture as a means for continued fish consumption or as a hedge for hyper-inflation. One of the best fish for this is the Tilapia but it can only be done in 6 counties; San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Imperial & Orange. I am from the Central Valley and would like some input on how to register in aquaculture from scratch!
edit on 12-9-2013 by Emeraldous because: grammar

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Emeraldous

I am going to try a setup using Yellow Perch. They can last the Canadian winter and don't need much Oxygen in the water to survive, as long as I can have a minimum of 10 feet deep. That is only if I need to put them outside, I am going to try a setup in my basement first. Already starting cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, and corn to see if I can get them to grow.

join