It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone 5S: Thieves may mutilate owners in bid to gain access to fingerprint-reading handsets, expert

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
yeah a thumbprint scan or a retna scan are fallable security methods

a couple days a go i read about a device that uses an individuals unique heart rhythm to be the 'password' that will unlock any paired device oncluding phones, houselocks, PCs, Tablets, home security --- the potential list is endless

And your personal heart rhythm is NOT stealable (? is that a word?) heres the link

[65,000-character-long buggy "link" removed by staff. Please see OP's next post for the correct, bug-free link.
]
edit on 12/9/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

WELL... That is a glitch or BUG in the ATS system

the link i wanted to pass along :

Risk Assessment / Security & Hacktivism
Futuristic bracelet uses heartbeats as a password—but is it secure?
Company pairing a wearer's electrocardiogram with a mobile phone makes a lot of promises.

by Dan Goodin - Sept 3 2013, 5:50pm EDT

arstechnica.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

A sample of your EKG has to be registered somewhere to be used as a key. If it is stored for matching purposes it can be stolen.

Not to mention that EKG results can change over time. Today your password works and tomorrow it might not.

For every lock there is a key and every key can be stolen.

These arent attempts at protecting information so much as they are attempts to irefutably tie information and actions to individuals who can be prosecuted.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

all your points are spot on...

my post was to show that there is a technology out there that would work-around the thug that will poke your eye out or snip off a thumb or forefinger to access the users devices

most post in the thread were dealing with that aspect of biometrics as a security feature shortcoming or failure

have a nice time until 0bama attacks syria
edit on 12-9-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
No need to chop fingers off...

How to make Fake Fingerprints

edit on 12-9-2013 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Oh my goodness...I think that was a glitch.

This whole fingerprint scanning system gives me a funny feeling. Like, something really isn't right.

I never really understood iPhones. A phone is supposed to be just that: a phone to call someone.

Not all this other crap mixed into it.

Whatever happened to real life conversation?

It's going the way of the Dodo

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The 2008 lenovo thinkpad someone just bought in for me to repair also has a fingerprint scanner on it.
omg Apple are so working for the new world order that they have been able to go back in time and retro fit the fingerprint scanner tech to non apple devices from the past and no one ever even bothered to notice they were there

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I am a LOT less worried about someone stealing my fingerprint than the fact that Apple will now have a HUGE database of fingerprints on file with all customer data and most likely available to any government entity in the world. Good job Apple....way to take our privacy concerns seriously....wonder if all the prints will be stored in the iCloud just waiting to be hacked and used against us.

Fingerprint scan on phones...facial recognition via camera...all leading to more and more of a 1984 society!

Kind of brings me back to the old Apple commercial and how much of a 180 degree turn they have done to come back to 1984....

Maybe someone should pass that old commercial back to them and see what their response is to it now.....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I remember when they did a parody of this commercial on Futurama. Funny how "MomCorp" was supposed to be Apple, and Mom wants to take over the world.

Kind of like Apple...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

beezzer

Back in the neolithic era, people actually "spoke" to one another, face to face. (I know, gross, right?)

Perhaps we should relearn that long-lost ability.

Says the bunny with nearly 20,000 posts.

(Just kidding. I'm sure in real life you're loquacious and erudite and quite charming with an impressive social circle. I was going to put a smiley to explain the fact it was a joke but I really can't bear to use those awful, remedial emoticons. So from now I will have to explain every joke, which as we all know makes a joke that much funnier, when you have to explain it to be a joke. Fortunately, since I have no sense of humour, jokes are few and far between so I won't have to explain much).

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Not only the Victorian age. Even the Egyptians had a rectangular thingy with information on it they called it iPapyrus.

To stay OT how did apple solve the fingerprints left behind on the scanner because of greasy fingers? Or are Apple users always nice and clean?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join