It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor Terry Jones arrested with thousands of kerosene-soaked Qurans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

The controversial Gainesville Pastor Terry Jones, known for his plans to publicly burn copies of the Muslim holy book, the Quran, was arrested Wednesday in Polk County, deputies have confirmed. Jones, 61, was arrested on felony charges after a traffic stop near a pharmacy in Mulberry in Polk County just before 5 p.m. Deputies did not specify what charges Jones will face. Polk County Sheriff's deputies have not confirmed the details of the arrest, but media reports say Jones was riding in a pickup truck with nearly 3,000 kerosene-soaked Qurans inside the truck bed. He was also towing a large barbecue grill behind his truck, the Tampa Tribune reported.

www.orlandosentinel.com...

Wow I knew he was a bit of a nut bar but this one is out of the ball park lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

What did he do that warranted a pullover and a felony charge at that? Carrying flammable materials without a permit is about the only thing I can think of but is that a felony? Burning Qurans isn't a felony in itself. Maybe he was taking them to a location which had a burn permit. Don't like the guy or the hatred he spews but he's entitled isn't he? Are the police making this up as they go along? I hope not because it could be one of us next for standing up for our beliefs and acting on them.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hmm, so it's illegal to bbq and burn books?

He wanted to have a BBBQ.. Book Barbeque!

sorry, not much else to say on this, freedom of expression and all, ya know.

He is welcome to his views, etc. As long as it is done in a safe manner.

Bibles, Korans, etc. What ever makes him happy..

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cygnis

Doesn't help the "We should all just get along" cause ..

Other than that (which imo is kind of a big deal) I have no problem with it, freedom of speech and all.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

We need a convoy, get on the CBs boys!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

A bbq and a truck bed full of flammable items.

Sounds like he was on his way to a party.

sigh.

This is a flimsy excuse for an arrest and any good lawyer will get the case thrown out.

He was the right to be as nutty coo coo as any other hate group in this country.

Why is he being singled out?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
tbo.com...

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office held a press conference at 8 p.m. to say Jones was arrested on a charge of unlawful conveyance of fuel and for openly carrying a firearm. Sapp was cited because the barbeque grill being towed behind the truck did not have working lights or a license plate.

Wish they could keep him in there.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
some combustible liquids have laws against using them for
other than their intended uses. Like Gas soaking logs for a bonfire, or a gas soaked fuse connected to a bag of cans of hair spray

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So....besides his infatuation with burning books; what crime has he committed? Having books? Having books soaked in kerosene? Towing a BBQ grill? I am confused.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
As others have already said, what crime did he actually commit?

I don't agree with his hatred and intolerance, but he can legally burn whatever books he chooses to. If we allow the police to arrest people and hold them without charges, we are just one step closer to more rights being stripped away from us.

Now, if he actually threatened to harm other people or their property, I'd be supportive of these actions perpetrated by the police... without it, the police are the criminals in this case.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

JBA2848
tbo.com...

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office held a press conference at 8 p.m. to say Jones was arrested on a charge of unlawful conveyance of fuel and for openly carrying a firearm. Sapp was cited because the barbeque grill being towed behind the truck did not have working lights or a license plate.

Wish they could keep him in there.

On such nonsense charges.....felony charges? So you don't like him; neither do I, but I don't want to see a fellow citizen held on such trumped up nonsense. They wanted to get him, they found a way. He wasn't breaking any laws (save legislated code that makes transporting books soaked in kerosene and a BBQ trailer...like we haven't done the later).

His open carry charge is suspicious. I only say that because I do not know if he has a permit otherwise. According to Florida law, open carry is permitted if you have a permit to concealed carry.

Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

That is a misdemeanor.

As for the "unlawful conveyance of fuel" charge....

316.80 Unlawful conveyance of fuel; obtaining fuel fraudulently.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person to maintain, or possess any conveyance or vehicle that is equipped with, fuel tanks, bladders, drums, or other containers that do not conform to 49 C.F.R. or have not been approved by the United States Department of Transportation for the purpose of hauling, transporting, or conveying motor or diesel fuel over any public highway. Any person who violates any provision of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, and, in addition, is subject to the revocation of driver license privileges as provided in s. 322.26.

Yes it is a felony charge, but I am looking at that and trying to see how they are applying it to books allegedly soaked in kerosene. Nothing was in containers; drums, bladders, fuel tanks or even 'other containers'.....

This is a stretch and smacks of the State exercising their authority beyond what they should. They wanted to get this guy because they don't like him; nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

ownbestenemy
As for the "unlawful conveyance of fuel" charge....

316.80 Unlawful conveyance of fuel; obtaining fuel fraudulently.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person to maintain, or possess any conveyance or vehicle that is equipped with, fuel tanks, bladders, drums, or other containers that do not conform to 49 C.F.R. or have not been approved by the United States Department of Transportation for the purpose of hauling, transporting, or conveying motor or diesel fuel over any public highway. Any person who violates any provision of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, and, in addition, is subject to the revocation of driver license privileges as provided in s. 322.26.

Yes it is a felony charge, but I am looking at that and trying to see how they are applying it to books allegedly soaked in kerosene. Nothing was in containers; drums, bladders, fuel tanks or even 'other containers'.....

Kerosene being transported in unlicensed / unapproved containers- the books, that is the violation. ...or at least could be alleged.
edit on 9/11/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Well....
If i had a dump truck full of kerosene soaked whatever I'd be arrested pronto.
-Anyone know what dangerous cargo is? What about a fire hazard?
lol

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
When he illegally hauled around kerosene soaked books in the back of a trunk he gave up his right to legally carry a gun. It is illegal to carry a fire arm while committing a felony weather you have a carry permit or not. Even if the gun is legally registered it is considered a illegal firearm at the time the felony is committed.

I know a guy the gas station would not let him pump gas in a blue kerosene can. They said it was illegal and they would not let him fill it with gasoline. He wanted the blue cans so he knew which were his on the job site he was working at. There are weird laws about hauling and storing fuel.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

canucks555

Well....
lol

BINGO!

HUGE safety hazard! and as I stated earlier, he is lucky it was a chemical that they could nail him for using in an illegal manner, or mixture

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Terry jones, an anti-Islam pastor was released from jail in Florida, Thursday. He was arrested Wednesday for felony charges arising from his plan to burn more than 2,000 Korans to mark the 12th anniversary of September 11, 2001 attacks on the US. Jones was arrested along with an associate pastor Marvin Wayne Sapp Jr, at their small evangelical church in Gainesville, Florida. The charges included carrying dangerous materials in an improper container, according to authorities. A spokesman for Polk County Sheriff’s Office said they were only released after posting a $2,500 bail bond. An initial court appearance for the two defendants has been set for October 15.

rt.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

canucks555

Well....
lol

Oh, but I don't see what laws were being broken. Doesn't sound illegal to me. Why should riding around with a vehicle full of kerosene soaked kindling be illegal? That's not dangerous, is it? It doesn't sound very dangerous to me. It's not like we have laws to protect public safety or anything. We don't need laws like that, do we? This guy was just trying to be a good american, and a good christian, and spew constitutionally-protected hate to drum up conflict among his fellow man. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

/s (

new topics

top topics

join