It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a Playground Now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have been coming to ATS to read and learn things and different perspectives that much of the world is unaware of. While there are those that wish to deny ignorance, I believe that ATS is turning into a community where ignorance is accepted. It irks me to see a list of rules that users actively abuse, yet admins "insist" that we follow them.

I see posts that talk about totally off-topic subjects, one word responses, derailing of important topics to fight over someone's ego, and there's more. We have those who would enter this website so that they can clutter it with how Miley Cyrus is dancing, or what is the better video game, but what is so "above secret" about those things?

Now, we have a new layout, probably to make it friendlier for the newbies to come in and # all over our information with their junk. This isn't a site where it should be actively advertised for new people. This is a site where others have sought out to find knowledge, not trivia.

If you don't want monkeys ruining your home, don't set out bananas.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think your perception of 'the line' you drew when you joined has changed.

Do you accept this could be a reason, or are you ignorant?
edit on 11-9-2013 by Biigs because: spelling mistake

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Gizawski
This isn't a site where it should be actively advertised for new people.

Why? Truth is truth and who knows who has a piece of the puzzle? Secondly I find it interesting that someone that's been here over 2 years with less than 30 posts complaining about this. Put in some content. Be the change that you want to see.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gizawski

I am just going to repost what I posted in another thread as it seems to fit this thread as well.
I'll change a few words to make it relevant to this thread.

I do think that the amount of garbage on the boards is a little much.
Not the Bernards who get banned,but the Bernards who get thru the in door.
I have seen alot of insane crap on here but it just seems to me that it is getting beyond insane.
Thankfully ats has created the LOL forum.

I understand the need to deny ignorance...I don't see the need as a website to embrace idiocy as I have seen.
I can't blame the site as it is too large and you can't see everything and you can't see every post.

As an older member who is stuck on ats,after alot of the absolute rubbish and garbage on here,if I was just checking the site out while passing by...I would never come back.
Trolls,attention seekers,people being cliquey (if thats a word) etc

My opinion is my opinion.

There is a reason alot of older members don't come back anymore.

The reality about this website from the time i have been coming here is this.
Older members have always complained about newer members ruining the site.

Nice rant,take care.

edit on 11-9-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I think such things are going to become more prevalent as conspiracy theories become increasingly more mainstream. The question you have to ask yourself is this though...do you see these ignorant people as being ignorant simply because their opinion differs from yours or is it measured through a clear lack of fact checking/sourcing of information/education? Not getting a dig on you in there but that's the question I generally ask myself when my immediate response to something another said is "idiot".

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It seems to me, we were all brand new at one time. Sure... ATS may get 10 bad users which Mods have to eventually work harder for, to every 3-5 good users. It's still worth it, in my humble opinion. (I don't work here to deal with that side tho...so forgive me Mods, if I presume)

I've spent real time and hours of it in the old message forums, going back to ATS's start, as it's recorded there. It's a fascinating thing to see, and I do agree, things were different in past years. Perhaps better...perhaps not. Certainly different though. The thing I noticed in the early years? It was also an almost closed and tight (read...largely like minded) group of folks. That seemed great, but definitely not what things have evolved into. Far less difference of opinion to hash out and learn from.

So why not let the mods go bonkers while we endure that % which come and go with the wind....so we all benefit from what the 3-5 among them contribute as long term folks?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't share much on ATS because I don't feel my opinion is necessarily important. Although much of the time I do what a variety of others don't, and I read the comments/posts that different users have added, and I reflect on their perspectives. Why should I post something that somebody has already said? I don't get any kind of kick out of that.

Yes, I expected ATS to be a place where adults and adult like minds came to find answers, or add knowledge, so yes, my "line" has changed. I do my best not to belittle others, nobody likes to associate with a rude person, so I keep my bad words to myself.

I'm just aggravated, and yeah... y'all have some good responses. To the Moderator, I figure someone who wants to learn, or is willing to learn, will look. You don't give them the fish, let them get it themselves.

I do have a problem with the newer generation, just like others had a problem with me. I'll take the advise given and keep that problem to myself.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

We have those who would enter this website so that they can clutter it with how Miley Cyrus is dancing

Stop taking yourself so seriously. Have a little fun along with your conspiracies. Talking about this thread maybe? You be the judge...

I posted that for a little fun in the Music forum. It was my understanding that's what it was for. Maybe I was mistaken. But conspiracies often come out of the least likely places. Read True Brit's posts in that thread.

edit on 9/11/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I noticed that ATS started to decline for me right around my join date. How's that for a coincidence?

While I came here for conspiracy topics (which I still enjoy immensely,) my tastes have changed over time. I started here with an interest in UFOs and aliens, but now I find that my interests are more to do with economic and political conspiracies. Did the site's quality change or did I change?

I also came here with a strong distaste for BTS topics such as Miley and the like. My attitudes change on that every week! I have come to see the value in BTS topics though. I think it's important to remind ourselves that we're all still normal people who enjoy a joke and a gossip now and then.

I think that's an important side to see in a conspiracy theorist. We're not all basement-dwelling, tin-foil collecting, delusional, dysfunctional nutjobs. I think the Miley threads humanize us, help dispel the stigmas, and make conspiracy topics more accessible to a wider audience.

I shall reiterate the age-old advice. If you don't like it, don't click it.

edit on 11-9-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

See! The rant forum helped a lot! I got my anger off my chest and I was able to think clearer. I don't agree with all of the responses, but it helped me take a step back and realign myself with my own character.

It's true. I'm not any better than anyone else, so why take their fun away? I'm still young and learning.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Gizawski
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I'm still young and learning.

May none of us ever get so "old" that we stop learning

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I see posts that talk about totally off-topic subjects, one word responses, derailing of important topics to fight over someone's ego, and there's more.

This much is very true.

On the sub-forum that I frequent a lot, there are many who just walk in to a topic, spew out their opinion in a few words and walk away... especially some of the newer members.
If the people running this site are reading this, PLEASE stop ATS from becoming peoples twitter account.

I suggest ATS puts stricter rules and regulations in place so as to ensure decorum and decency.

edit on 11-9-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join