It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone still read comics?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Hmmmm my recommendations:

Preacher

DMZ

The Secret History

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Bassago

I found some CD's in a local bookstore with PDF versions of Marvel X-Men and Avengers (99-06 titles) They were in the dollar bin so I snatched them up. Couple of GB's worth actually.

Gave all my silver age comics (about 1000) to my grandson a few years ago as he was the only one who didn't want to sell my plastic wrapped Iron Man #1. Smart kid, glad someone appreciated them for what they were.

That is Awesome! Yeah I have bunches on digital just need to get off ATS long enough to read them.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by iPutAtlantaOnMyBack

Your right, all comics are for kids. I definitely recommend Heavy Metal for everyone under 10.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

starwarsisreal

Hmmmm my recommendations:

Preacher

DMZ

The Secret History

DMZ is really good.

Another favorite is Tank girl... as my avatar shows. lol that should have been my first thought duh.

I'll probley continue to think of more ... lol I love cartoons, anime, comics, and pretty much anything of the sort.
edit on 24-9-2013 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I would suggest checking out Monocyte by IDW and one of my favorite artists of all time Menton Matthew III, Its about a war between 2 immortal races that use humans as warring interlopers, when the god death (azreal) grows tired of so many immortals he summons a demon like entity called monocyte to level things out every panel is gallery worthy art and is a masterpiece by its own rights. Also the older comics like Satanica by Glen Danzig are worth checking out if you havent ever seen or heard of them it is a limited series but I have an appreciation for the art and style of those books as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I grew up Marvel and had some experimental titles based off art and writers when I was buying comics like a madman. Once the titles were converging stories I stopped because it was too much. so a few years passed and I decided to ease back in, just graphic novels not actual comics but did anyway. But a fella who owned a comic shop in Lawrenceville Georgia and created his own comic "Galaxy Quest" had turned me onto the "Invincible" I would have never picked it up but once you do it's off the chain, I recommend getting the hard back book one and read all the way to book 8. The story writing is absolutely amazing, think Superman goes ape # and has a son and then his planet returns to kill him. You won't regret it trust me!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Infiniteone2556

I actually picked up Y The Last Man recently and I am glad I did it is a good (albeit mature) read. Thanks for the tips!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i've been digging through an old comic stash i found in an even older van and i just got to read Batman shadow of the bat #61 **featuring FATE** from jan 98.
Theres a passenger plane in this tale literally called **N.W.O flight 17** which is met by nefarious # during the episode. This chapter also is juicy with mythology. The jet reminded me of *MH-17* straight away when i was reading it so i made an acc here to post. What are the odds??

P.S i have not read a batman comic ever before these past few days and after reading 3 random comics i picked out the pile 2 nights ago, which of this one was the last i read. i got straight up realising i forgot again to turn off the pool filter and the time was like 9 45 pm. soon as i walked out the back door there was a regular looking bat sitting toward me on the thin tube/string i use for my clothesline and it flew away, took about twice as long to leave the yard as a bird would.. (pretty quick). you might describe a bats flight as sporadic. i have never seen a bat living around here in my life. i can't draw anything from it other than "what the #"
edit on 20-3-2015 by apexmussel because: ** ** ** ** * *

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Some of my happiest times during my childhood were spent lying on the kitchen floor reading children's comics. I think they helped me learn to read and definitely molded my sense of humour.

There was much excitement in the weeks where they featured a free gift - amazing how easy it is to amuse little kids

Later, I graduated to the likes of Superman and Spiderman but haven't read a comic book for some years. I don't know if I outgrew them or if they just had their day. I think maybe the quality diminished or perhaps they were aimed at a different sort of audience with different tastes.

Certainly one of my favourite childhood comics started to feature a more crude type of humour BUT I am currently wearing my Beano Tshirt - a happy co-incidence that I found this thread on a day that I have it on

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
I have a collection of around 3,000 comics, but stopped collecting a few years ago, because comics were becoming to dark, exploitative of females, and to violent (suppose one could argue they already were...).

Anyway with most media moving toward streaming or online and readers such as the Kindle Fire and iPad. Do people still read comics? I have read a few online comics like MSPaint Adventures (little immature for me), or Freak Angels (I really enjoyed this one!), but haven't really embraced the format as I have come across little I like other then FA.

I miss my X-men (but when I left there were to many titles and soap operatic mess! lol), But I wouldn't mind finding something online or on a reader as I still believe it is a great format to write/read stories!

I was a pretty varied reader mostly Marvel, some independents but I did love Neil Gaiman's Sandman, or Grant Morrison's Animal Man for the stories!

Any suggestions or just reminiscing would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comics got way better in the 2000's.

After Avengers ended with Avengers Dissasembled things picked up with Mighty Avengers and New Avengers.
During those runs there was Civil War, WW Hulk, Siege, Fear Itself.
Bendis did some great writing. The Sentry was a good new character.

Also Ultimate Marvel was even better! Ultimate Spider Man and U. Fantastic Four were excellent.

The Mutant area had some good runs, Avengers vs X-men and it's back story was good.

Lately it's been a long lead in to Secret Wars, kind of slow. New Avengers and Avengers are back again and are not remotely close to what they were prior. Those were the go-to high quality stories, for some reason they have been reduced to B-list level titles.

I don't know what's going on?

Also Gardians of the Galaxy was excellent, the short 22 issue run in like ~2007-ish and the reboot in 2012ish.

Of course that has also been dumbed down lately.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Don't buy individual comics, haven't for years to be honest.
May pick up the odd one-shot here and there.
I just buy TPBs to be honest, graphic novels too.

Haven't kept up with stuff recently either.

Loved stuff like

Preacher
The Invisibles
Transmetropolitian
Hellblazer
Sandman
Marvel Max run of Punisher was good.

Obviously classics by Miller and Alan Moore.... tons of Batman stuff too

edit on 10/11/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: joelr

I wanted to read ALIAS and a few other but more recently they are too short and $4 for a comic too expensive

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

I was talking to a friend about this very issue. The comics are starting to contain less content, more ads, and cost more. The Disneyfication of Marvel is really doing a number on their comic series and I find the majority of those following now are bandwagon types only familiar with the films. That's fine but I think in the long run the comics will suffer. Just look at how the X books have been marginalized to avoid giving fox too much ammo. Everything is rebranded or tied to the Avengers now. I quit paying for comics when all of this started.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I guess now it's old-fashioned

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join