It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Having a Grammar Nazi Moment!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

AshleyD
reply to post by abeverage

I'm torn between wanting to give you a beating and an applause.

I will gladly take either! I am not sure if it looks better aligned or not? hehe

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

littled16

Makes mental note____*Send abeverage's contact info to the Scientologists and tell them he wants to make a huge donation*

I feel much better now!

They kicked me out! LOL oh and I hit reply as I was leaving from work so I botched the align! HA! Suppose to look like a big grin! I might need a grammar NAZI on my stories (I actually do have dyslexia) if you are volunteering!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I might be willing to act as your grammar Nazi if I can be first in line to give you a beating. Okay, maybe just a spanking but I still get to go first!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

littled16

I might be willing to act as your grammar Nazi if I can be first in line to give you a beating. Okay, maybe just a spanking but I still get to go first!

So basically we are going to settle...out of court?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I would post a string of silly emoticons in response now but none of them look like what they are supposed to symbolize, so I leave you with this simple abbreviation instead....
LOL!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Not sure that anyone has said this...but...ahem...

ROGUE is not ROUGE, you freaking color biased moron!!!

A rogue is someone who is typically off on their own...ie, a Thief type character in Dungeons and Dragons or on WoW, or someone who has decided to break off from the group when it comes to an ideal or decision...or, a ROGUE comet/planet/asteroid...one that is off on it's own and taking it's own path through the universe. Noticing a trend?

Rouge is a COLOR. It is a FRENCH WORD for the color RED.

Often regarded as make up, as it is a red blush powder added to the cheeks to give a rosey glow.

For christ's damned sake, if in ANY doubt....www.dictionary.com...hell, even google will prompt you with a correct spelling if it a unique word (not a homonym like Rogue and Rouge)....

- SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I actually blame much of this for a blatant lack of typing skills, and seeing texting "words" as shortcuts.

Now, personally, I don't have much problem with LOL or LMAO or RFLMAO.

But seriously, SRSLY? Just how frakking lazy are you?

And 2 instead of to? U instead of you? 4 instead of For/Four? HONESTLY?

I think this mostly arose because of two issues....cell phone text messages and games like World of Warcraft. Kids who have NO clue how to type, and zero desire to attempt to learn. It's hard, I get it. The damned QWERTY keyboard was INTENTIONALLY designed to be counter intuitive and SLOW YOU DOWN, as the original keyboard allowed the user to go entirely too fast and caused keys and gears to stick.

What the frakk happened to learning a little bit about a tool before you use it? My father would ALWAYS give me a lesson/lecture for about fifteen minutes about the high points of using the tool. A computer is a tool. A cell phone is a tool. They should be used properly, and treated with respect.

And godfrak it, if you are searching for the ANY KEY or struggling with the actual intent and purpose of the PRINT SCREEN KEY....take the damned thing back to the store. You are too damned dumb to own and operate a computer. They will gladly give you a refund in full, simply explain why I sent you there. They'll agree.

- SN
edit on 4-10-2013 by SadistNocturne because: BECAUSE I AM RANTING!!!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

abeverage

Their, Their, it is ok! Clam down!
Your two polite too point out they're failings then try too teach them!
Butt it Dose not matter if there spellin is wrong or You're is to wrong!
Were gonna have fun anyways sew bare with em even if your right!
We're on a road too nowere! I get board with grimmer you hear!
I will bear my teeth than give an evil grin!
You can sight me later then never!
I advice you! Relax!

edit on 4-10-2013 by abeverage because: of grandma grammar!

Dear Abeverage,

1) That made my brain hurt! OW!
2) That also made me laugh with little tears in the corners of my eyes. Congratulations. That doesn't happen often!

I hope AshelyD decides on the applause rather than the smack-down...

peace,
AB

ps - I have dyslexia too and it can be such a pain! I reverse letters and numbers sometimes.

edit on 4-10-2013 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

Pss - I stopped threatening to spank men when they were bad. It only seemed to encourage them to be worse for some reason...?
edit on 4-10-2013 by AboveBoard because: playfulness

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

I was given a bunch of X-men comics when I was in my late teens. My friend said he had a crush on Rouge and I said "Who is Rouge?" He pointed at the girl with skunk stripe in her hair. I also had a crush on ROGUE... So I said "OH you mean Rogue!"
"No rouge!"
"Ok it is pronounce Rogue like in a scoundrel!"
"No rouge like she has red cheeks!" (Huge eye roll from me)

Finally I grabbed a dictionary and read it to him, then handed it over to him, pointing at the entry.
He read it, looked at me, looked back down at Rouge, then threw the dictionary at me...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

abeverage
reply to post by SadistNocturne

I was given a bunch of X-men comics when I was in my late teens. My friend said he had a crush on Rouge and I said "Who is Rouge?" He pointed at the girl with skunk stripe in her hair. I also had a crush on ROGUE... So I said "OH you mean Rogue!"
"No rouge!"
"Ok it is pronounce Rogue like in a scoundrel!"
"No rouge like she has red cheeks!" (Huge eye roll from me)

Finally I grabbed a dictionary and read it to him, then handed it over to him, pointing at the entry.
He read it, looked at me, looked back down at Rouge, then threw the dictionary at me...

Ya know, when I was a kid of about nine, I was reading a book about pirates. It used the word cutthroat rather often. I asked my father what cutthroat meant...

Being somewhat annoyed, I guess at my timing, he said "what do you think it means? What is the context of the sentence it is in? If you still cannot figure it out, the dictionary is right over there, look it up!".

To this day, if I don't understand a word or unsure as to the spelling, I look the damned thing up immediately, as if you don't, you'll forget and never will learn.

And this lead a life of being teased for my larger than average vocabulary. Life is cruel. Children should all be shot. Their parents should be sterilized.

Just my $.02

- SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

SadistNocturne
Ya know, when I was a kid of about nine, I was reading a book about pirates. It used the word cutthroat rather often. I asked my father what cutthroat meant...

Being somewhat annoyed, I guess at my timing, he said "what do you think it means? What is the context of the sentence it is in? If you still cannot figure it out, the dictionary is right over there, look it up!".

To this day, if I don't understand a word or unsure as to the spelling, I look the damned thing up immediately, as if you don't, you'll forget and never will learn.

And this lead a life of being teased for my larger than average vocabulary. Life is cruel. Children should all be shot. Their parents should be sterilized.

Just my $.02

- SN

I missed a year of school when they covered sentence structure from moving to a different town. Coupled with dyslexia I really struggled in school, but I was a voracious reader and love books! Finally one year I had a teacher who loved the stories I would write that gave me a dictionary (that I still have). She helped me instead of barely passing me along like previous so called educators. I also spent some years with an Aunt and Uncle that got me into reading and doing word puzzles.

I still struggle, but I am trying write again because I find it therapeutic! I also enjoy challenging people to think and laugh! All of my browsers have an auto spell check that works overtime and I often have to re-re-read my writing!

I am not as grumpy about it, but if it is any consolation I do yell at kids to get off my lawn, and volunteer to be the block curmudgeon...
edit on 4-10-2013 by abeverage because: of what do you think?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

abeverage

SadistNocturne

Just my $.02

- SN

I missed a year of school when they covered sentence structure from moving to a different town. Coupled with dyslexia I really struggled in school, but I was a voracious reader and love books! Finally one year I had a teacher who loved the stories I would write that gave me a dictionary (that I still have). She helped me instead of barely passing me along like previous so called educators. I also spent some years with an Aunt and Uncle that got me into reading and doing word puzzles.

I still struggle, but I am trying write again because I find it therapeutic! I also enjoy challenging people to think and laugh! All of my browsers have an auto spell check that works overtime and I often have to re-re-read my writing!

I am not as grumpy about it, but if it is any consolation I do yell at kids to get off my lawn, and volunteer to be the block curmudgeon...
edit on 4-10-2013 by abeverage because: of what do you think?

You know honestly, although I ranted here...I do understand that some people's strong suit just isn't spelling or grammar, one of my best friends cannot spell to save his life. It just comes easy to me, personally, so I do my best not to comment on folks mistakes.....

Throwing stones and glass houses and whatnot

-SN

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Has using "of" in place of "have", as in, I would of, or, I could of, been mentioned yet?

That makes me absolutely cringe that someone could reach adulthood still using that. Sure many people pronounce it that way, but it makes no sense written down.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Since this is a conspiracy site this is one of my pet peeves.

It's Martial Law!

Not Marshall law. (Unless Marshall Rooster Cogburn is involved...Pilgrim)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Urantia1111
Yep. I've been tempted to post a thread like this many times. Don't they check grammar pretty much every year in school? To not have picked up on it ever in 12 years of regular schooling blows the mind. And its so common to see these mistakes. I'm sure people will be pissed that you've pointed this out, but jeez.

...I gave you a star, for doing this on purpose...'And its so common...'

Cheers

Å99

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

littled16
reply to post by Urantia1111

When texting shorthand becomes acceptable when used in homework assignments it is bound to cause serious problems! About 5 1/2 years ago my youngest had to write her Senior term paper- instead of an in depth study of a thought provoking topic she was basically asked to turn in a glorified book report and could write it about anything including a movie or video game. Unreal!

I'm giving you a star for not punctuating 'on purpose'...

Cheers

Å99

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
What really grinds my gears, is Grammar nazis that point out others' grandma...

Å99
edit on 8-11-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

You so crazy!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
u r wrrrrg

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
does it have to be nazi, cant it be like.... grammar historic negative German extremist political stereotype?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join