It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Having a Grammar Nazi Moment!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Please Take Notice!

Thank you. That is all!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Yep. I've been tempted to post a thread like this many times. Don't they check grammar pretty much every year in school? To not have picked up on it ever in 12 years of regular schooling blows the mind. And its so common to see these mistakes. I'm sure people will be pissed that you've pointed this out, but jeez.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

When texting shorthand becomes acceptable when used in homework assignments it is bound to cause serious problems! About 5 1/2 years ago my youngest had to write her Senior term paper- instead of an in depth study of a thought provoking topic she was basically asked to turn in a glorified book report and could write it about anything including a movie or video game. Unreal!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Congrats... You've earned it

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
az mi shure dat ghamma un spullin r unportant fo yo bhut jhoo undastun ver wust taipan ne wi suh y b s0 sereus?

English is not everyone's first language and typos and grammar can be auto corrected, incorrectly by 'helpful' web browsers.

Its not that of a big deal

edit on 11-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Haha I saw this on FB and smiled and then I shared it.

I'm a grammar nazi yes. I just don't see how grown adults haven't figured these things out by now. I had really tough teachers who made sure you never forgot any of the rules of grammar. If you used "their" or any form of it wrong you had to use it in a sentence 100 times after that and you bet your rear you never forgot how to use it after that.

I remember my English teacher, Mrs. Michaels. Tiny little black lady who wore pretty suits every day but had huge sweat stains under her pits at all times. She would crack jokes about the stains too. Apparently it was some disorder she had and couldn't help it. She was a hard teacher but she was a great teacher. I remember her quite well. I also remember wanting her wardrobe even as a 2nd grader lol. I use to tell her I loved her clothes all the time. She was a snazzy dresser and a hard A** teacher but I never forgot anything she taught me!

IMO grown adults have no excuse to forget these basic rules of English. Hell I even remember the basic rules from French class and I"m no where near fluent in French but I remember the basics!

My husband gets mad at me when I go all grammar nazi on him BUT sometimes he says things and it makes no sense because he used the word incorrectly. Yet when I explain this to him he says I should know what he means. Why do I have to know what people say? Why can't they just say it properly! AHHH drives me nuts.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Their are two many things on that list...where too start???

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

It really isn't that big of a deal when English isn't a person's first language, I assure you. Even the most stringent of Grammar Nazis have a heart! It is when proper grammar becomes almost lost in a whole generation of people for whom English is their native tongue that it becomes a sad and aggravating state of affairs. Imagine if "Ebonics" had gained in popularity and became an accepted language instead of text shorthand.... I personally would be confused as heck!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I give you credit for trying but you are attempting to correct 30 years of absentee parenting, piss-poor education, and an overall dumbing down of the population by social norms in 1 thread. I fear you may be bailing water on the Titanic.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Honestly love I'd have to agree with you on that! And that is why it is so sad and aggravating! I was always involved with what my kids were doing in school and with homework and projects even when I was working. So I didn't get much sleep, big deal. I wonder what the top excuses for not taking part in your children's educations are these days? C'est la vie!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
While I check what I type for mistakes in grammar and spelling, I must admit that i do not check as closely as i do work emails etc.

Its not that I think any less or more of anyone on ATS or at work, but i do get paid to type what i have to at work and i dare say if I got paid to post on ATS I'd pay a heck of a lot more attention.

Crap. How shallow am I?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

That's not really shallow, all things considered.
I think we can classify that as just being tired and don't give a darn!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Peace out sister!....Me speaking the queens english just cannot abide these peasants with there loose spelling!... Yea innit!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

TheDoctor46

Peace out sister!....Me speaking the queens english just cannot abide these peasants with there loose spelling!... Yea innit!!!!

*Makes mental note*....Chase Doc with rolling pin and share Hubble link of video feed with Cody and Rod!

edit on 9/11/13 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
i an dyslexic so i have no love for grammar natzi's i do try really hard but unless you have this youwill not understand i have repeated i after c thousands of times but still get it wrong .

have some people nothing better to do in their lives

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

geobro
i an dyslexic so i have no love for grammar natzi's i do try really hard but unless you have this youwill not understand i have repeated i after c thousands of times but still get it wrong .

have some people nothing better to do in their lives

Same here. I try very hard and concentrate more than i do when i drive a car when i write or type. people can be quick to say lazy but they dont have to try so hard to get it right.

Some things are hard to be able to do subconsciously. Words and grammer mine are my worst, though I can talk just fine

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Sorry geobro, but my youngest is dyslexic and still uses proper English everywhere but Facebook and texting. It's not an excuse for being lazy or for plain not giving a rat's behind!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

littled16
reply to post by geobro

Sorry geobro, but my youngest is dyslexic and still uses proper English everywhere but Facebook and texting. It's not an excuse for being lazy or for plain not giving a rat's behind!

and who thinks i am lazy or does not give a rat's behind ? i try hard that is why i am on a forum i do not use spell check as i see it as lazy .

what type of dyslexia has you'r youngest got as there is more than 1 type and you might spell color where i would spell it colour .

i have a certificate from mensa but cannot spell worth a dam but as long as somebody can understand me that does me fine

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

i have gone years without writing anything as i hated taking 3 or more goes and the time it takes to respond to someone when others can rattle of 5000 letters in a few minutes

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
That would be

Little D
Y'all

their you go your right it wasnt that hard were it

Sorry I couldn't resist it

Cody

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join