It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama calls off Congress vote on Syria intervention

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
OBama calls off Congress vote on Syria Intervention

The BBC are reporting that President Obama has called off the Congress vote on taking military action in Syria.

This is good news to me!

President Obama has acted very wisely here. I am proud of The House of Commons in the UK, too, for showing some wisdom.

Really, it all began to go wrong on that fateful evening when the British Politicians voted no. Followed by a tide of public opinion in Europe and the US that this was a bad idea this whole campaign was bound to end as a non starter.

People are not so easily swayed these days with that old tool of manipulating moral outrage and see that two wrongs do not make a right. It is my sincere belief that military action in Syria would have made conditions much worse in Syria and LESS SAFE for Israel.

The biggest "pushers" of the military option are clearly visible; David Cameron and John Kerry are now bizarrely left looking rather warmonger like in the wake of on going decision making.

There was no other choice. If we had backed the rebels in this civil war we would have been backing some very savage and brutal factions who have committed atrocities.

It is time to go back to the drawing board regarding middle east foreign policy in the west. Yes, Israel is our ally and yes we should protect that nation if it is ever threatened. However, we cannot allow our governments to get so mixed up in this that they end up backing jihadists and Al Qaeda factions.

I also think that Mr Putin has played a strong hand in this. He has been a crucial player in preventing what would have been a catastrophic intervention. He has been a friend to the west on this occasion. I am sure he has his own agenda in Syria, but this man has shown himself to be a very astute politician.

So where does it go from here? I would very much like to see chemical weapons withdrawn from the equation and put under the jurisdiction of the UN, so NOBODY can use them.

As far as the civil war goes in Syria it is their business to sort out this conflict. Saudi Arabia and other governments supporting the rebels should back off. It is my belief that there would not be any rebels as such if they had not gained financial and political support from certain nations.

It certainly is not finished, but we have a reprieve here. It is my wish that democracy, common sense and diplomacy be seen to win the day here. What a boost that would be to morale the world over!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
He had no choice. Obama couldn't get the votes in Congress. If he had gone through with the vote, he would have looked like more of an idiot than he already does.

At least World War III has been put off for a few weeks.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Congress ought to push ahead and vote anyway, with or without his permission. Just to settle this, on the record. What this has now done is give Obama a legitimate reason to call it off, look like peace is at hand, then next week or next month, conduct strikes with NO notice then...No Congressional effort the next time, you can bet.

Bush and Reagan both made strikes during their Presidency...and as often as not, Congress learned of the specifics while planes were taking off to form the strike packages overhead. Notification...nothing more.

Now that is totally out of line, in my opinion, for something as BIG and multi-faceted as Syria. This isn't Desert Fox with a few strikes against an enemy who was emasculated to begin with...or something like Libya under Reagan where serious retaliation wasn't even a real possibility.

This one could blow back hard, fast and without a way to turn it back....so Congress should have gotten a NO on the record...because we'll see this again. Count on it.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

The biggest "pushers" of the military option are clearly visible; David Cameron and John Kerry are now bizarrely left looking rather warmonger like in the wake of on going decision making.

John Kerry is the Secretary of State, the mouthpiece in foreign policy matters for the Cabal. If he appears as a warmongerer it's because our oh, so peaceful Idiot in Chief told him to. Kerry is nothing but a puppet who's strings run to the Oval Office.

Obama cancelled the vote for the simple reason that he doesn't have the votes necessary to get Congressional approval for an attack on Syria... So he can still ignore, as has every previous administration since it was passed, the War Powers Act and go ahead with whatever he, and his masters, have planned...

Don't for a moment think that this is over... 'Cause it isn't.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

FlyersFan
He had no choice. Obama couldn't get the votes in Congress. If he had gone through with the vote, he would have looked like more of an idiot than he already does.

At least World War III has been put off for a few weeks.

I agree wholeheartedly!

I am very impressed with the people of our nations. It is a very new phenomenon that people are not being duped by propaganda.

Thank goodness for the internet and the free flow of information. It is helping and is slowly bringing people together. Lies cannot persist in such a social environment. Big thanks to all the journalists, great and small, who have made information available from all sides of the fence so that people can make more informed choices.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Gotta wait for the false flag attack, then it will be back on the table.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

seagull

John Kerry is the Secretary of State, the mouthpiece in foreign policy matters for the Cabal. If he appears as a warmongerer it's because our oh, so peaceful Idiot in Chief told him to. Kerry is nothing but a puppet who's strings run to the Oval Office.

Obama cancelled the vote for the simple reason that he doesn't have the votes necessary to get Congressional approval for an attack on Syria... So he can still ignore, as has every previous administration since it was passed, the War Powers Act and go ahead with whatever he, and his masters, have planned...

It is just my opinion, but I think that Obama has no stomach for this on a personal level. He is a figurehead and has to act within "the framework".

I think he has played a fair game by going to Congress in the first place. He could have acted without Congress. He didn't. That speaks volumes.

You are right to say it is not over yet. However, those who want to intervene (the warmongers, lol) are in for a right hard time of it. On this occasion they have no western allies (apart from the French government possibly, but certainly not the people) and nearly all their electorate do not want them to engage. Those are stiff odds.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

seagull

World War III ... which Obama has brought us to the brink of ... has just been postponed.

And I agree with the previous poster ... Congress should vote anyways and get on record.
I can just see how that would make Nancy Pelosi's face prune up even more. ha ha ha

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

Doesn't necessarily have to be a "false flag"...

All's that's needed is an excuse. Assad says something that get deliberately/accidently misinterpreted? Bingo!! Reason provided, bombs on the way.

That's why, like the Rabbit says above, Congress needs to vote anyway, and Parliament as well; so as to be on the record with a "NO!!".

...and one of our Congress critters needs to step up to the mike and ask a very pertinent question, particularly today of all days...

"Haven't enough people died?" "How much blood is enough?" Or words to that effect... Make our glorious leaders answer those questions.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

supremecommander
Gotta wait for the false flag attack, then it will be back on the table.

Anything is possible. So we must keep a sharp lookout for any of this "false flag" business.

Any group who have an interest in false flag operations must be given a sharp response that people will not take the bait. That is the only way we can stop false flag events. We should assess each situation and not just blindly react with moral outrage and panic.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

It is just my opinion, but I think that Obama has no stomach for this on a personal level. He is a figurehead and has to act within "the framework".

There are, without any doubt whatsoever, interest groups that are pressuring him to order an attack. Not a figurehead so much as a spineless puppet. I've thought so from the very beginning and I've never been sorrier to be right in all my born days...

No one in this administration has a spine. ...and the congressional leadership (an oxymoron if ever there was one...) is equally weak and inept.

He originally wanted to go before Congress because he thought, wrongly for the moment, that they would rubberstamp his proposal. Word got out that he didn't have the votes. He didn't do this out of some sort of altruistic reasoning...it was pure politics. A vote now likely would put a huge blockage in his way. So he backs off while he rethinks his tactics.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

"I have a deeply held preference for peaceful solutions" (President Obama)

I believe him when he says that. I trust my instincts. He is getting his way.

I think things will be different when he steps down as President. Mark my words that the US will get a Republican government next time round and the old agenda will raise its ugly head.

Presidency is not all about puppetry!

Winston Churchill once said that "Democracy is the worst kind of government except for all the others that have been tried". I go with that. Democracy is the only tool we have in civilization. I will continue to respect that. Anyone who interferes with this process is injuring civilization. That includes powerful International cartels who try and get their way contrary to public opinion and the real interests of nations.
edit on 11-9-2013 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I find it funny that the "people" are being praised for making this happen.

Does anyone not realize that the "people" have been very vocally against intervention in Syria from day one? and Obama could care less, the only thing that made it change was Putin calling out Kerrys bluff of placing Syrias chemical weapons under U.N. control.

He knew the whole thing had nothing at all to do with chemical weapons, and forced Obama to play the game with his own lies. That is the only reason there is any talk of a "peaceful solution" right now.

What's even funnier, is now Mr. Teleprompter himself is trying to take credit as being the catalyst for a peaceful solution.....

You can bet that it's not the last anyone has heard on Syria and Assad.
edit on 11-9-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

seagull

There are, without any doubt whatsoever, interest groups that are pressuring him to order an attack. Not a figurehead so much as a spineless puppet. I've thought so from the very beginning and I've never been sorrier to be right in all my born days...

No one in this administration has a spine. ...and the congressional leadership (an oxymoron if ever there was one...) is equally weak and inept.

He originally wanted to go before Congress because he thought, wrongly for the moment, that they would rubberstamp his proposal. Word got out that he didn't have the votes. He didn't do this out of some sort of altruistic reasoning...it was pure politics. A vote now likely would put a huge blockage in his way. So he backs off while he rethinks his tactics.

May be so, but that is all we have to work with. John Kerry is more powerful than many might believe. I much preferred Hillary Clinton's tactics. The moment Mr Kerry entered the scene I knew trouble was brewing.

Obama is in the game. Look what happens when a President goes against the status quo too much in the US; Abraham Lincoln and JFK come to mind. Politics is a dirty old business and even Presidents must play the game.

I don't want it to be like that. Yet that is the way things are. I am a realist in that respect if you know what I mean.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This whole Syria crisis charade was nothing but a show, you have to understand the elite are patient, what has been done is the whole world knows about Syria, it is fresh in the minds of the american people. Now all the elites have to do is stage a false flag on US soil and have it tie to Syria, then the Kerry and Obama can say I told you so, the american people will no doubt want to come out swinging. Congress will vote overwhelmingly to go in and end the civil war in Syria and then install a American crony loyal to the central bank.

This is playing out like clock work.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Yes, it is a dirty game.

...and Kerry may have more influence than most realize. He's from old money, and is married into even older money. That means power the likes of which most of us can not understand.

That's where courage and conviction come into play. If Obama wants to make "change" happen...it takes more gumption than he's shown at anytime in office.

Honestly, I don't care if a politician goes against my will every time he opens his/her mouth... What I want from them is courage of conviction. Not waffling from one opinion to the next as polls indicate. I'm tired of that. Be a [bleeping] adult and have a sack.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I think things will be different when he steps down as President. Mark my words that the US will get a Republican government next time round and the old agenda will raise its ugly head.

Please explain how the "old agenda" has changed?

It does'nt matter. Ever notice how the house, senate, executive branches all go from democrat controlled to republican controlled, back and forth.

Yet nothing ever really changes. It's always more of the same. Politics in this country is nothing but a dog and pony show to make the plebs believe that they have some kind of choice in the matter. There is no choice, just slightly different flavors of the same old crap.
edit on 11-9-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

"The US must carry out some act somewhere in the world which shows its
determination to continue to be a world power."

Henry Kissinger, 1975

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
(frowny sad face)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I predicted some of the responses here on Saturdays ATS Live and again on Sunday Night Euro

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Dupe Post
edit on 11/9/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join