It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Lawmakers Ousted in Recall Vote Over Gun Law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So, money spent by groups is okay, like Bloomberg's group, so long as it is of your own political alignment.

I love Progressives, as everything is always different for them.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Indigo5
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I am against any out of state dollars spent in local elections.

While Bloomberg and others spent, so did the Koch Brothers and NRA, both through Corp. shelters that don't require them to disclose how much they spent.

So...nobody should be able to influence local elections from abroad...and we don't know what the Koch Brothers and NRA spent in total.

Nice false argument, first you say Koch and crew spent money through shelters and then say you can't prove it.

I'll buy that story for dollar! Because I just know Mayor Bloomberg is such a outstanding guy.
edit on 11-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

And from the same atricle you quote from here is another.

Indeed, the Koch brothers' involvement had little to do with guns, and AFP primarily focused its attacks against Morse on other issues that made him a vulnerable target in his conservative-leaning district. The group distributed fliers and doorhangers likening Morse to Bloomberg on virtually every issue except guns, instead concentrating on issues like taxes and health care.

They focused on everything but weapons.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

sealing
Shouldn't the NRA get naming rights soon?
Like "Colorado... brought to you by the NRA".

I didn't see one mention of how much money and
clout the NRA used to oust these public officials who don't agree with them.
And it was a tiny bit more than the opposition I would guess
considering the outcome.

So it's okay to buy democracy as long as its the Koch Bros in Wisconsin
or the NRA in Colorado huh?

OOOOOOOOOPS, looks like ya got a lil' spankin there cause you failed to notice a big quote in the OP:

While both sides campaigned vigorously, knocking on doors, holding rallies and driving voters to the polls, gun-control advocates far outspent their opponents. A range of philanthropists, liberal political groups, unions and activists raised a total of $3 million to defend Mr. Morse and Ms. Giron. Mr. Bloomberg personally gave $350,000.

Another reason people need to PAY ATTENTION, this is one reason we're in the mess we're in.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I wasn't born in CO, but moving to this state was one of the best decisions I ever made. Other then getting to live off the land in the high country surrounded by peace and serenity, I get to live in a state where people do more then just WHINE ON THE INTERNET about changes they want made.

This recall is Awesome and hopefully should send a warning to other state senators. See what happens when people actually DO something instead of just talk and whine? Amazing the results can actually speak for themselves.

I know most "Muricans" can't even handle an independent thought let alone start a recall, but hopefully this will awaken some leaders who can start initiatives because they aren't afraid and can think outside the box.

Good day today folks. Love and light

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

macman
reply to post by Indigo5

So, money spent by groups is okay, like Bloomberg's group, so long as it is of your own political alignment.

I love Progressives, as everything is always different for them.

You really need to work on reading comprehension...God knows only an ideologically addled mind could get that from this...

Indigo5

I am against any out of state dollars spent in local elections.

edit on 11-9-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Nice false argument, first you say Koch and crew spent money through shelters and then say you can't prove it.

Cuz Koch and the NRA SAID they spent the money...Are you calling them liars?

And I said the amounts were undisclosed by election laws...cuz they were? Not that I couldn't prove they spent it? They announced they spent money? geez?

Honestly...some dumb arguments on this thread.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Did you even read your own link?

It says that the shelters spent money on everything BUT the issue on guns. The money that was spent on the gun control issue was spent by the NRA and grass roots.

And if the Koch Bros. want to bankrupt themselves by getting every progressive out of a position of power, I say let them spend the money how they see fit.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
...Mr. Bloomberg personally gave $350,000...

That right there is an indication of how messed up government is, even down to city levels.
$350,000 to throw away on an agenda in a state halfway across the country? Not to mention against the will of the people? That's nuts.

But awesome for Colorado citizens! It's encouraging to see that the people still do have a voice sometimes.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Way to go Colorado! I saw a report on the local news they are going after Hickenlooper next...GOOD! American are fed up with all the rights and liberties that are being chipped away, slowly and surely we will have them restored. If this continues and we get more of these clown out, it will send a serious message.
Even if you are pro gun control, you have to admit our government no longer respects our rights. IMO, gun rights are one of the biggest because our government fears our right to bear arms, particularly assult high capacity weapons. Is it because of the school or public venue shootings? Of course not. I will continue to support my local, well regulated militia and the NRA....Not to mention keeping the democrats out of office.
At any rate, I'm proud of my fellow voters in those counties. What a symbolic win!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

SubTruth

thisguyrighthere
reply to post by jibajaba

While a positive outcome was seen those numbers are a little too close for me. Support of liberty should never be so close as 50/50.

Great reply......Really it says it all.

What the progressive filth does not understand is what happens if they do get a gun ban. Pie in the sky rainbows pooping out candy canes.

that is because there has never been one, and no one knows what will happen.
we only have examples from countries other than the us, and the us is the most gun fetishizing country on the planet.

do you think the us will turn into an apocalyptic wasteland where we will be fighting over gas? i doubt it will be remotely as dire as you think or as utopian as you believe your strawman thinks.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Hr2burn
Way to go Colorado! I saw a report on the local news they are going after Hickenlooper next...GOOD! American are fed up with all the rights and liberties that are being chipped away, slowly and surely we will have them restored. If this continues and we get more of these clown out, it will send a serious message.
Even if you are pro gun control, you have to admit our government no longer respects our rights. IMO, gun rights are one of the biggest because our government fears our right to bear arms, particularly assult high capacity weapons. Is it because of the school or public venue shootings? Of course not. I will continue to support my local, well regulated militia and the NRA....Not to mention keeping the democrats out of office.
At any rate, I'm proud of my fellow voters in those counties. What a symbolic win!

no, i think american politicians don't fear us, i think they have different views of what would make the country better, and they came to the conclusion that guns are the problem to fix.
of course we could all be cynical and just believe they all just want to satisfy their constituents by finding a simple patch for a serious problem, but really, that level of cynicism is dangerous IMO.

reason i say they don't fear us is because a lot of them support gun rights, after all they didn't just poof into existence as politicians, they grew up like the rest of us with the same influences and beliefs.
i think a lot of people mistake support of the second amendment as fear because they believe any gun regulation is solely done out of fear of uprising.
this of course leaves out the fact that our government has the most powerful weapons on earth without breaking out the nukes, and given the right reasons will use them.

it's sad this is a big deal really, we shouldn't have to celebrate the system working, it shouldn't be a surprise.
the very fact that politicians are willing to listen is a perfect sign of the system working. also i would point out that the threat of us going after them is not part of the second amendment, we could go after them without an amendment.
the second is there because the founders wanted to keep from having uprisings due to the government not having a limit when it came to guns. it was to keep people from having to fight the government for gun rights.
history shows what happens when the people have no protection, they have to keep fighting the government because the government finds reasons to deny the people autonomy for the perceived good. enshrining it as a right means the right doesn't need to always be fought over since it is a core part of the system.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

Two Colorado Democrats who provided crucial support for a slate of tough new gun-control laws were voted out of office on Tuesday in a recall vote widely seen as a test of popular support for gun restrictions after mass shootings in a Colorado movie theater and a Connecticut elementary school.

And all of Bloomberg's money couldn't put them back together again:

While both sides campaigned vigorously, knocking on doors, holding rallies and driving voters to the polls, gun-control advocates far outspent their opponents. A range of philanthropists, liberal political groups, unions and activists raised a total of $3 million to defend Mr. Morse and Ms. Giron. Mr. Bloomberg personally gave $350,000.
Link

The recalled politicians still believe they were in the right and that their constituents were and still are wrong. Let that be a lesson to anyone who thinks they are being represented by their elected official.

Though they may be gone the damage is still done. Magpul is gone from CO along with the jobs they created and a terrible law is still in force. Lets see how long it takes CO to repeal that law.

What takes a few hours to pass and impose on millions people takes years if not decades to repeal.

The part that gets me is that weather or not they think the constituents are wrong really has no bearing on the matter. Their job is to represent what the constituents want, not to do what they personally want. In the end I'm happy to say that they were recalled! It shows that the people of Colorado (my state btw) can speak up when necessary.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Great job Citizens of Colorado!! I tip one in your general direction.

You've started the ball rolling, now it's up to the rest of us to keep up the momentum and continue ousting those that threaten our Liberty!

I hope this is foreshadowing of things to come in the next couple rounds of elections!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

That is quaint, but I was replying to your post here

Indigo5

thisguyrighthere

Link

The NRA spent heavily on the recall effort, reporting at least $360,000 and funneling unspecified dollars through its nonprofit arm. The billionaire conservative Koch brothers also entered the fray, using their advocacy group Americans For Prosperity to target Morse and Giron. Due to the organization's nonprofit status, AFP also did not have to report its spending to the Federal Elections Commission.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Not the statement to another member.

While I do acknowledged your statement, I don't believe you for a second. Your agenda and Progressive ideals have proven in the past that certain things are okay for you, but not for others with opposing views.

So, while you may indicate that you are against spending from outside groups, there are numerous past statements that show that may be the only thing you hold for both sides.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Well, you have to take into account that this happened in a liberal county. So that is a message in itself. The rest of the state is fairly conservative except for the 3 Urban areas which seem to make the rules up for the rest of the rural areas. The results would have been much greater in favor of recall in any of the conservative counties. This is a big deal, and Tom Tancredo is probably going to oust Hickenlooper and take this state back to greatness!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nostrashawnus

It's a nice thought but the law is still on the books. Lopping off the heads of those responsible isnt worth much without repealing the law.

the Democratic hold on the state Senate shrinks to just one seat. The party has a much larger majority in the state House, enough to thwart any legislative effort to overturn the gun laws.

Opponents are hoping to qualify a ballot initiative in 2014 that would repeal some of the provisions. A group of sheriffs has also filed suit to overturn the legislation.

At best some provisions may be repealed. Not exactly a win. More incremental chipping away at liberty. The law took 10 steps forward and the people might be able to pull it 3 steps back.

edit on 12-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I think the trick is to somehow get all those Californian transplants out of Colorado. Many didn't like California tax laws and moved to Colorado and yet they brought their ideology with them.

Like a Kudzu, they are strangling off the tree that supports them.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Californians are doing to Colorado what Massholes are doing to New Hampshire.

They should be made to lay in the bed they've made rather than be allowed to run from it only to make a new bed somewhere else.

These people are locusts. Self-righteous locusts who refuse to live the life they impose on others.

I'm a huge fan of border fences. Just not along the Mexico/US border.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

TDawgRex

I think the trick is to somehow get all those Californian transplants out of Colorado. Many didn't like California tax laws and moved to Colorado and yet they brought their ideology with them.

Like a Kudzu, they are strangling off the tree that supports them.

A Kudzo reference? Why, I do believe I have a fellow southern brother here.

There are several states that are getting the California migration people in, and believe me, those leaving should just keep driving until the hit the North East, instead of stopping in states that are the opposite viewpoint of what they hold.

edit on 12-9-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join