Russia warns of catastrophe if Syria reactor hit by U.S. strike

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Russia said on Wednesday that a military strike on Syria could have catastrophic effects if a missile hit a small reactor near Damascus that contains radioactive uranium.

The Foreign Ministry called on the U.N. nuclear agency to urgently assess the risk as the United States considers military action to punish Syria's government for an alleged gas attack.

"If a warhead, by design or by chance, were to hit the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MNSR) near Damascus, the consequences could be catastrophic," a ministry statement said.

It said nearby areas could be contaminated by highly enriched uranium and that it would be impossible to account for the nuclear material after such a strike...

Russia warns of catastrophe if Syria reactor hit by U.S. strike

I seen this article a few days ago and couldn't see it posted anywhere.

Please move to the correct forum mod's if needed.

Something about this whole Syria thing seems all to convenient to me, I am wary of International politics and suspect there is more going on behind the scenes.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Why is Russia giving the US a target?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

I suspect the US already knows about it, at least it should if has any intelligence to speak of, albeit one that could proclaim ignorance if needed.

Perhaps Russia is putting it out there just incase there were any oops '' we didn't know it was there'' denials. Or because they don't want the US bombing Syria and are giving out warnings.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Well, that's the 3rd time in two weeks Russia or it's media arm, RT, have "put it out there". I imagine there are a few thousand targets inside Syria...as would be found in any nation of developed size...which would be catastrophic if hit by missiles. Heck, hitting a pesticide factory will mix the chemicals in uncontrolled ways to develop the next nerve gas, entirely by mistake.

Aside from the US putting a missile in the window of the Chinese Embassy awhile back (Quite awhile back..) for the mother of all OOPS... It's odd Russia would say this. After all, when one thinks of precision munitions....wouldn't the near trillion dollar a year American war machine come to mind?

We don't miss...we just don't admit to what was aimed at every time.

I doubt we'd hit a reactor unless 100% intentional..and that would be mass murder on war crime levels, IMO.
edit on 11-9-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

The radioactive Uranium getting into the hands of those that would just love sending radioactive material towards their enemies is also a risk that isn't so easy to trace and determine.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

What U.S strike?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Now you have a good point there. If control of the reactor changed hands, I suppose even a small research unit could produce nightmares to share with others for a long time to come. Hmm... You mean like dirty bomb material production, to put it crudely? I hadn't really thought about controlled change of ownership to evil hands.

Yikes... Missiles aside, that's a scary scenario now that you raise it. Outside of Pakistan and Iran, DO the Islamic extremists have any realistic access to a running reactor? (I believe Pak and Iran both guard their facilities to make Ft Knox look kinda weak.)

Just when I thought there weren't any other downsides to the FSA winning. lol....

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

This has happened since the report, and thanks to Russia for siding with attempts at peace. That said, who knows if there could be further actions by Assad, or if anything escalates in Syria, even internally, the place is a mess and the risk of the Uranium getting to places it shouldn't is still there.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I believe the proper response to this propaganda would be
ERMEGOD DEY GOT NUTES!!!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
sorry I didn't mean to derail the thread...but Syria's lee
de got nutes!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Well put it this way, I believe IF it was the rebels who launched the Sarin bombs then will they do it again to try and definitely seal a US strike?

top topics

join