It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of cars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about the car troubles, really sucks. Especially with something that was supposed to be an upgrade.

I did a little research on the car and it sure gets positive reviews. I was actually kind of amazed.

If you got the inspection there isn't really much more advice to give. Make sure you drive any car you plan on buying long enough to warm up all the way and then add some freeway time. Fiddle with everything, make sure the heater works, smell around the car like a nutter butter, test drive more than one of the same make/model so you have a comparison etc. See if they kept service records and do one of those searches to make sure the thing hasn't been totaled. Shoot even ask the dealer for the cars history. Basically all the stuff you already know. I'm personally scared of anything between 100k and 120k miles. It seems like cars that push past 120k are fine until at least 200k miles in my experience.

There are a lot of cars I really like but would not want to buy used because they are the type that gets hooned. No idea if that's the case with a Lancer over there, but it wouldn't surprise me. An example being a Honda Civic. Great cars, but if some 16 year old has ever owned the thing you don't want it.

Can you describe the noise better? Perhaps peruse some YouTube vids with what you suspect.

ETA: Forgot to say joining an internet forum specific to your car is a great idea like the other poster pointed out. Some of the folks on automotive forums probably know more about their cars than the dealership and engineers combined. Many can at least give you tips on a good and fair mechanic. Also they can advice you on reasonable costs.

edit on 12-9-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Scaleru
reply to post by 74Templar

We had this car checked out and everything came up good, so it's just one of those things. At the moment, it's been towed to a second mechanic for a second opinion. Haven't heard anything yet, but the latest diagnoses have been just as bad. Valves, pistons or con rod. All invasive repairs and probably not worth it over a second hand engine (which may end up needing extensive work in itself, who knows).

Unfortunately even the roadworthy checks done in the Eastern States only focus on the safety aspects of any car. The motor can be on death's door, as long as it doesn't leak oil or fluids then it'll pass any check. I guess you just have to know what you're listening for in terms of cars and noises, even sometimes the people checking can't predict everything. I've even had two of the same cars, one has been a gem, the other a total lemon, so there's really no such thing as a solid cars. There's gonna be rotten apples in every bunch.

I've never heard a bad word about Lancers though to be honest. Well, aside from Evo's being a noisy bunch of so and so's. Anything you could warn me about for the future?

Lancers are usually pretty solid, I've never heard of many being lemons, but again, it all comes down to owners and how they drive the car. Most younger drivers are leadfoots (and not being biased, but I was one once lol), and generally don't take the same care with their cars as older people. Owner history if you can find it is important, but you don't always know just who has sat in the driver's seat, especially if the car is a few years old. While Lancers have a bit of a history with younger 'tuner' drivers and subesquantly can be thrashed, it really comes down to the history of the car. I'd agree with Domo and say you've pretty well covered everything you can as far as the car went, all you can do is rack it up to experience.

edit on 12/9/2013 by 74Templar because: fixed quotes

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
When we first looked at the car, we took it for a good drive, warmed up nicely and drove like a dream. Even had my father give it a test run (since he's been driving a good 30 years longer than me) and he said that he wanted it. After the agreed purchase, we took it to the mechanic that's looking at it now (not the first one) for a service and once over. He confirmed it was a good buy, gearbox was in great shape, engine appeared to be running great, overall a good car. He, too, said he wanted it, lol.

The car came with almost all the history. The one service that was missed, we were provided a receipt as evidence of the work being done. I'm putting it down to bad luck over anything else.

I don't get a chance to peruse ATS and YT at the same time with audio, so unfortunately I won't be able to attach videos with similar problems. It's a pretty distinctive sound however, echoes out the top end, but pretty clear it's coming from mid/bottom end.

Waiting to hear from the mechanic now, hopefully he can repair for little cost, as I'm apprehensive about a second hand engine.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Timely

greencmp

Scaleru
reply to post by greencmp

Mate, one of the most delicious meals I've ever had contained smoked horse!

Shhh... I think timely can understand us

edit on 10-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

Indeed !!

Think 'Mr.Ed' ...

Doh!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join