Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

mysterioustranger
reply to post by Hefficide

Back in college, that was a final exam question to essay. We opened up a single folder and took out the essay subject...all it said was..."WHY?" and please write upto 1,000 words.

I thought about and began to write but I kept getting sidetracked. So, I finished, put the short essay back with the topic into the folder.

My answer? It was..."WHY"?...I answered with..."BECAUSE". My professor gave us back the folders with a red grade in the upper right corner. I got an A+.

He had written a short note in the envelope for me....it said..."Good job! But next time...could you not make it so lengthy?!"

edit on 2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

Dude you were lucky, he should have failed you. The correct answer to "Why" is "Why Not"

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Life is not a problem that needs to be solved - life is a mystery.
If you could answer the question it would bring more questions.
The mind is a problem solving device - it asks a question that cannot be answered and it can keep one lost in thought.

edit on 11-9-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
We are a discernible species.
Plant-life does what is within it's genealogy; to reach for the sky, and stay connected to the ground, at the same time.

A weed is only a weed when it grows in an unexpected plot.

To ask the universe why this or why that is ok, so long as we know where we are planted; then why.

Instead of always asking why, it's a better practice to give thankful gratitude to the universe for all of life's experiences.

In my own experience while on this rock of ages. The more grateful one is to the universe, the better the universe will treat him/her.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Because you chose it Heff.

Your choices are the cause that give rise to all the effects you experienced, if you label them good or bad... that also is your choice; which will give rise to the feelings about these experiences, if you can recognize that in the midst of the stress... guess what? You can chose your reaction too... by simply changing perspective of the situation. If you chose Windows you may have had a black or blue screen of death instead. You chose Linux, so you had driver issues... which has been an known issue with Linux since it's inception. So it's not like some force is personally conspiring against you... it is just the natural consequences of the choices we make, and the perspective in which we see them in. Nothing more nothing less. We all create our own suffering, and in our suffering we really don't mind spreading it around... lemme tell you about my day, or punch holes in the wall. Or suck it up as the nature of the beast, that it's just the consequences of what you chose, nothing more nothing less.

Trying to control all of that is an impossibility, this need to control and decreasing ability too, only increases the more choose. You can simplify by making less choices... before reaching out and just grasping. But don't forget what you choose to reach out and grasp is now your responsibility, with all the stress and problems that may go along with it. Did the driver really need updating? Or was a new one just available? APT-get can be your buddy or that dude that steals office supplies out of your desk... choose wisely.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This thread was very well written. I apologize in advance to all the posters who posted after the OP as I haven't read the replies yet, but I felt I just had to, HAD to get this to "Heff" before I forgot.

The question "why" (?) is a reactionary response to an unknown 'entity'. I use the term 'entity' because while it may be something non-physical, in your mind now, it has become an 'entity' that is unknown. At this time, and this time only can we ASK 'why'. So, to more clearly answer your question as to 'why' we ask 'why', it is because you, as a person, are not convinced that you know 'why', and so, the result is, invariably, asking the question 'why'.

If that does not make sense to you (and I suspect that is the case), and you are left asking 'why', then I implore you to continue asking, and not just 'why', but 'how' and 'where (can i find more information' and 'when (did this knowledge come about)' and 'what (is this knowledge about?)'

Do not disregard religious texts like the Bible, Qur'an, or the Vedas, Sutras, or anything. This is a notion that is usually the result of a bad experience with religious people. But, be reminded that religious people are not the religion. Some people are content in asking 'why' and then getting an answer from somebody else who appears to know what they are talking about. Others are not, but the religious texts can provide insight, even still, to those who are willing to find it.

Take care.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Same here! Philosophy of Logic course.

If I remember correctly you had to assume "Why not?" and prove it. "Because" was not a sufficient answer.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I'm a "Why'er " myself and it certainly tends to cause more problems than it solves so I can totally relate to your post and the frustration of the "why".
I think as we delve deeper , age and mature, we find comfort in things being logical and making sense.
When something happens, we run it thru the brains Rolodex of usual suspects for cause. When an answer is not immediately found, we are left with only questions and the brain does not like unsolved things.
We tend to like things, neat and orderly, us "Why'ers", loose ends must be tied up we have to find out how the book ends, we can't leave things unfinished. Without answers we are forced to do just that and that can be maddening.
I can't figure out how to control it, but sometimes it just helps knowing WHY it happens.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
As others have already answered with "why not?" I'll go further.

There is stuff. The thing that rightly stumps people is the chicken and egg question, going all the way back to a prime mover... or god. But the fact that there is stuff at all begs the question from where and how did it become?

The logical, intuitive answer is that there always was... and always will be... stuff. Maybe there was never a "nothing" for "something" to spring from... maybe "nothing" is impossible and the natural state is a positive, rather than the age old assumption of a negative coming first.

Maybe somewhere else (if a "somewhere else" is even conceivable and since it IS conceivable there must be) there isn't 'anystuff'... but here, wherever here is, there is stuff, has been stuff and always will be stuff in the process of moving.

So, stuff happens... and why? Because it couldn't be any other way, that's why.

Simple (sound of a long intake of breath and a crackle)...
edit on 9/11/2013 by Baddogma because: more stuff
edit on 9/11/2013 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)
edit on 9/11/2013 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Heff, it's not like you to desert a thread. Hope everything is going good for you. And if not, I hope it all works out in your favor.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Heff your line about Russian Remote viewers drawing your name out of a hat during their office party - was epic!!! Seriously epic. It takes a diverse person to cover ALL bases included that one.
You made my day, week, month. Thanks. :-)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Because we are covered with a veil.

A veil of our own doing.

Inside, or our higher-selves remember/know how things should really be.

Our reality is a mere shadow of the "Original Truth" or what NDE people call going home.

Hence, because we don't remember everything we keep asking "Why?"

And rightly so.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Not deserted! Just been a hectic few days domestically and free time has been at a premium... that mixed with the fact that I've become somewhat tragically addicted with the Facebook "Marvel Avengers Alliance" game ( A never ending process of chasing invisible carrots and waiting not just hours, but days for things to "train" or "power up" ) has also kept me a bit distracted - and infinitely frustrated.

For the most part, things are OK here! Truly the concern is appreciated!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Be. Cause. Be. Cause. Be. Cause.

or if you'd rather:

Exist. Create. Exist. Create. Exist. Create.

or:

Pi

Answer to the Infinite.

Here on Earth in our complex lives, there are so many variables, being the cause can get muddled.

To me, the answer to "why?" is plainly a directive.
edit on 13-9-2013 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Forgive the poor choice of words. Glad to see your addiction isn't pharma based. lol

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

If I quit asking myself why, then I believe I will quit growing. Just saying.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The answer to the question "Why?", is nothing - because there is no "why", life is just happening.

The only response that can be given is "Because, it is what it is", or "It's life".

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Every time something bad would happen I would ask myself WHY?? Why me, what did I do to deserve THIS?? I never received an answer that truly answered my question, so you know what I have decided to do? I just quit asking. Instead I have decided to not ask why, but WHAT...What can *I DO* to counteract the initial knee jerk reaction to ask why in the first place. For example, my cat gets sick, okay why? But first I think WHAT can I do to make him feel better? I can take him to the vet, I can check his body for signs and symptoms of what is causing the illness or I can just ignore it and hope he feels better. The answer to why may be given when I take him to the vet and I find out he is diabetic or has a thyroid problem. So then it is WHAT can I now DO.

The answers to why, like WHY are we even here in the first place are questions that we all have. Until we realize that we already know the answers on a deeper level, we will continue to question. Does any of that make sense??

Sometimes the answers are revealed to us when we quit *trying* to find all the answers. Since I have quit asking the WHY, I find that everything in my being has returned to a state of being in the NOW. Enjoying the moments, learning what I can, and knowing all good things come to those when the timing is right.

Heff, you are a great person and a wonderful soul! Don't argue, AND don't ask why I think you are, just know that you ARE.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I have only one thing to contribute; which is a question. "Why" do people think that answering your question can somehow be done by looking towards the imaginary? The trinity for instance, is utter nonsense. Complete and utter foolishness wrapped in mystic piety. I mean, show me one thing in this universe that can be three things at once. So, how can what we see here in this reality give us any clue as to the nature of things that (by the dictates of imagination only) lie outside of it? I really want to know how I am to tell the difference between the imaginary magic being the believers believe in and one they my be merely imagining; or the one I have to imagine to picture the imaginary magic being they believe in.

Part of the "problem" (if you really want to call it that) in the post you've entered, is that you "imagine" this and "imagine" that. So, by what means do we differentiate between what we imagine and what really is? What faculty do we use to answer these ultimate questions of life? And more basically, what informs this faculty and can we trust those things? I for one think we can indeed know these answers and that we can indeed trust the informants to the processes and faculties we have to know our world. I believe in objective reality. We exist for the sake of our own happiness.

Daniel

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Sounds idealistic arpgme, but "just because it is" would mean there is no such thing as cause and effect, just random events to try and ride the random waves of the best you can. Fortunately, it is not that way or else there would be no escape from suffering.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Philodemus

Therein lay a major part of the problem IMO. "Objective reality" is actually subjective and there is no mechanism to prove otherwise. The easy way of phrasing it would be to say "mileage may vary" - but the implications go far, far deeper.

There is no way of knowing if you and I experience reality in the same textural or conceptual sense. This does not preclude the potential for commonality, but it is a legitimate concern. An example... we both might perceive the color red in a total different and individual way - one that we would not at all recognize if we were to switch perceptions for a time. BUT we have commonality in that we do both recognize red objects as being red, regardless of whether or not we are perceiving what we see in the same way.

As for spirituality? In my opinion that is a deeply personal thing and dislike the idea of judging others for their choice to believe or not to believe in anything spiritual. Science can, in some ways, be seen as a religion and those who adhere to it tend to be just as snooty about their "God" as some of the people who believe in a higher power.

For the record, I would probably qualify as agnostic, if fully pressed for a totally truthful answer regarding my own spiritual views. I have a spiritual side, but it requires a lot of nurturing and often falls prey to doubt and skepticism. However my reasons for possessing it are clear to me and easy to comprehend. The idea of there being a grand design or a God pleases my sense of order. Taking such a pleasure does not preclude me from comprehending or interpreting reality in an effective manner. In fact, often, it augments my ability to accept of understand.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join