It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subject: ONIONS Is This Real?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

yeahright

Boadicea
(What does help me -- every time -- is a good ole hot toddy.)

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

For those who shouldn't or would prefer to not drink the alcohol, I'd recommend hot tea with lemon and honey.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Yes! And stir with a cinnamon stick -- it's yummy, soothing and healing all at once

I do prefer brandy in my hot toddies (it's high in antioxidants), but only before bed. Other times, it's tea with lemon and honey, stirred with a cinnamon stick.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
when my throat hurts or I get a cold my grandmother always says I should drink hot warter with the juice of an onion and some honey... I have never done it though, but she says it works

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have eaten and served raw onions, that were sliced 24-48 hours prior to consumption, almost every day for the better part of a decade when I was managing Subway restaurants. They have the same sliced shelf life (48 hours) as any other produce according to Subway and local health regulations. If eating an onion the day after it was sliced got anyone sick, there would be significant food poisoning concerns with all major fast food and most full service restaurants.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
well,
I cook with onions ALL the time
I will cut an onion in half and sometimes it will sit in my fridge for days till i use the rest of it
and Ive yet to get sick from a cooked OR raw sliced onion.

Besides,. around flu season i keep boiled onions around the house,. and of course it must
be a coinkydink that no one in my household gets the flu.

it is an earth givin antibiotic

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

be a coinkydink that no one in my household gets the flu. it is an earth givin antibiotic

Antibiotics have no effect on a virus. The flu is caused by a virus.

edit on 9/13/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I had this story circulating my facebook feed a few months back. I had a cold or flu at the time so I chopped up onion to place next to my bed while I slept for a few days. Didn't help. If anything the smell made me feel worse.

@Phage, your refutation of this story on the basis that the scientist observed bacteria on the onion with his optical microscope is not necessarily valid. If onions could absorb bacteria, this would prove beneficial to someone with the flu, whose compromised immune system would be vulnerable to bacterial infection. Anyway, they don't so it doesn't really matter. Just saying.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm sure he meant antiviral

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

be a coinkydink that no one in my household gets the flu. it is an earth givin antibiotic

Antibiotics have no effect on a virus. The flu is caused by a virus.

edit on 9/13/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Phage! Who the hell cares!

I am not understanding your position in this subject?

It's seems to me that your argument is if someone can't see a virus or know what antibiotics do then that is fact that onions won't help combat the flu virus.

I know everyone holds you as the holy grail of knowledge or some such, but again, can you explain to me why an onion, either breathing in the smell or having it close, would not help compact the flu or even the cold?

In other words for what reason do you justify discounting reports, even if just claims, that onions have medicinal and combating properties against cold and flu viruses?

The Rat.
edit on 13-9-2013 by TucoTheRat because: onions ROCK!

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
A cursory glace at how flu is spread would show this to be 100% false and stupid.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TucoTheRat

Because even if onions had antiviral properties what you are suggesting is that onions are magical. I cough and exhale flu virus into the air. The air blasts your face and you inhale it, thus the virus enters your body. How does an onion, even 5 feet away, prevent the flu virus from entering your system by any means other than magic? Look at the transmission of the flu virus and then give a plausible explanation of how it would work. It's seriously one of the stupidest things I have heard in years.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Because even if onions had antiviral properties what you are suggesting is that onions are magical. I cough and exhale flu virus into the air. The air blasts your face and you inhale it, thus the virus enters your body. How does an onion, even 5 feet away, prevent the flu virus from entering your system by any means other than magic? Look at the transmission of the flu virus and then give a plausible explanation of how it would work. It's seriously one of the stupidest things I have heard in years.

Cave men at one time might have thought fire was magical...well I should not say that because I believe all radiating bodies are magic in a sense. My point is that even in ignorance you can find remedies to ailments even if the workings of such thing eludes the ones stuck in superstitions. In other words believing fire is magic still keeps you warm and out of a cold that could lead to death.

If temperature can affect a flu or cold virus affecting a persons organism, how in the hell can you exclude an onion that dispite housewife superstitions might very well have antiviral properties that can help a person recover faster from such flu and colds.

Do you see my point? When people claim magic, normally there is a very scientific explanation to why such things were considered magic at one time. But Phage was attacking superfluous things that have no affect on whether onions have antiviral properties that alleviate and combat flu and its symptoms or not.

If you can smell an onion it is affecting your organism, fact! Now does that mean that if you can smell an onion while inhabited by a flu or cold virus the onion's particles will affect the flu or cold virus is probable based on reports and claims of old wives tales.

The Rat.
edit on 14-9-2013 by TucoTheRat because: its not it's...I know, I know...

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

TucoTheRat

OccamsRazor04

Cave men at one time might have thought fire was magical...well I should not say that because I believe all radiating bodies are magic in a sense. My point is that even in ignorance you can find remedies to ailments even if the workings of such thing eludes the ones stuck in superstitions. In other words believing fire is magic still keeps you warm and out of a cold that could lead to death.

If temperature can affect a flu or cold virus affecting a persons organism, how in the hell can you exclude an onion that dispite housewife superstitions might very well have antiviral properties that can help a person recover faster from such flu and colds.

Do you see my point? When people claim magic, normally there is a very scientific explanation to why such things were considered magic at one time. But Phage was attacking superfluous things that have no affect on whether onions have antiviral properties that alleviate and combat flu and its symptoms or not.

The Rat.
edit on 14-9-2013 by TucoTheRat because: its not it's...I know, I know...

So give me the scientific explanation. You can't. I told you to look at how the flu is transmitted, and then explain how an onion stops that. You can't. Magic is the only explanation. Phage most certainly was not, he was showing that the person claiming proof is so ignorant they think the flu is caused by bacteria, which it is not. If you don't see how the fact they don't even understand the very basic concept of what the flu is shows what they say on the subject is meaningless then I can't help you.

It's like saying ocean waves travels at the speed of light because you discovered radio waves do.

And you think if you can smell rotten food it's the same as it being in your mouth? Seriously, you didn't think that part out well did you? Must suck for you when you smell poop, might as well eat it right?
edit on 14-9-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

So give me the scientific explanation. You can't. I told you to look at how the flu is transmitted, and then explain how an onion stops that. You can't. Magic is the only explanation. Phage most certainly was not, he was showing that the person claiming proof is so ignorant they think the flu is caused by bacteria, which it is not. If you don't see how the fact they don't even understand the very basic concept of what the flu is shows what they say on the subject is meaningless then I can't help you.

It's like saying ocean waves travels at the speed of light because you discovered radio waves do.

And you think if you can smell rotten food it's the same as it being in your mouth? Seriously, you didn't think that part out well did you? Must suck for you when you smell poop, might as well eat it right?

Dude! Seriously!

I'm not saying onions fight the flu, all I'm saying is that it is entirely possible. Onions make you cry when you cut them! THEY AFFECT YOUR BODY SO MUCH THAT YOU WILL CRY LIKE A BABE IF YOU CUT THEM!!!!

Onions obviously have an affect on our respiratory system and nasal glands the same the flu and cold viruses attack.

Amino acid sulfoxides form sulfenic acids. Enzymes that were kept separate now are free to mix with the sulfenic acids to produce propanethiol S-oxide, a volatile sulfur compound that wafts upward toward your eyes. This gas reacts with the water in your tears to form sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid burns, stimulating your eyes to release more tears to wash the irritant away.

link

So you have sulfuric acid in your lungs and nose interaction with amino acids from mucus and the flu virus itself and you don't think there could be a chemical reaction that might offset the way the flu virus get things done?

Seriously I'm not talking about Big foot or UFOs here, this is not something that is impossible like traveling sideways in time.

Yes there are different flu viruses and the prevalent method of contagion is through touch, nasal and eyes but again it's not something that is imposible.

The Rat.
edit on 14-9-2013 by TucoTheRat because: poop

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

TucoTheRat

OccamsRazor04

Dude! Seriously!

I'm not saying onions fight the flu, all I'm saying is that it is entirely possible. Onions make you cry when you cut them! THEY AFFECT YOUR BODY SO MUCH THAT YOU WILL CRY LIKE A BABE IF YOU CUT THEM!!!!

Onions obviously have an affect on our respiratory system and nasal glands the same the flu and cold viruses attack.

Amino acid sulfoxides form sulfenic acids. Enzymes that were kept separate now are free to mix with the sulfenic acids to produce propanethiol S-oxide, a volatile sulfur compound that wafts upward toward your eyes. This gas reacts with the water in your tears to form sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid burns, stimulating your eyes to release more tears to wash the irritant away.

link

So you have sulfuric acid in your lungs and nose interaction with amino acids from mucus and the flu virus itself and you don't think there could be a chemical reaction that might offset the way the flu virus get things done?

Seriously I'm not talking about Big foot or UFOs here, this is not something that is impossible like traveling sideways in time.

Yes there are different flu viruses and the prevalent method of contagion is through touch, nasal and eyes but again it's not something that is imposible.

The Rat.
edit on 14-9-2013 by TucoTheRat because: poop

You're right, it's not bigfoot, it's worse. Bigfoot at least you can come up with "there's a lot of forest anything could be out there". There is zero science behind this and no "giant forest" to hide behind. I have told you how to easily verify this is complete idiocy, if you wish to not do so that is fine.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Quercetin is a plant-derived flavonoid commonly taken as a nutritional supplement. Quercetin has been linked to supporting the immune system, clearing excess congestion, supporting bone health, and may aid in fighting mild allergy problems. It is also used in some weight control programs. Quercetin, like other flavonoids, is an antioxidant that travels throughout the body removing harmful free radicals. Studies have also shown that quercetin may also be a potential solution to cardiovascular disease, a leading cause of death in the United States.

www.webmd.com...

In onions and I think garlic too...supports the immunity and rids free radicals so it really doesn't matter if your upper respiratory infection is bacterial or viral... could be either and can feel as bad as the flu.

I don't think you will get sick and die from bad onions but i think "off" onions are more prone to give you indigestion...and that could easily be from something the body considers toxic. I would think it would generally be mild but since indigestion from onions is so common, it is often just dismissed but could indeed be a little pancreatic something going on there telling you to not eat whatever you just ate. Interestingly, onions are reported to be good for your pancreas. I'm going to have to read more about that because that sounds like a possible weird connection.

I am an onion enthusiast. I prefer them yellow, they must be strong, they must make me cry and I can eats loads of them cooked in certain things... beans, hashbrowns, pizza... GOBS of diced onion.
edit on 6201330AM9AM04p13America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

edit on 6201330AM9AM24p14America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

So your saying that an onions sulfuric acid has absolutely no detrimental affect on a flu virus that is accustomed to a normal environment in our respiratory system....

Breathing the vapors will not hinder the virus in any way at all...

That's what your saying?

So I'd guess you think the mercury in a vaccine does nothing at all to the human body as well, hu?

Well what can I say, you don't see it, you don't see it.

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

TucoTheRat
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

So your saying that an onions sulfuric acid has absolutely no detrimental affect on a flu virus that is accustomed to a normal environment in our respiratory system....

Breathing the vapors will not hinder the virus in any way at all...

That's what your saying?

So I'd guess you think the mercury in a vaccine does nothing at all to the human body as well, hu?

Well what can I say, you don't see it, you don't see it.

The Rat.

How much sulfuric acid is inhaled from an onion 5 feet away? How long does the acid linger? What would the required amount of sulfuric acid be to inhibit viral infection? How would that level of sulfuric acid effect the lungs?

Also, explain what does this have to do with the person stating onions magically trap "flu" bacteria?

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

How much sulfuric acid is inhaled from an onion 5 feet away?

Enough to make a person tear up and maybe cough. Aside from that I'm not sure but, I imagine not much or you would die.

How long does the acid linger?

I have no idea. Have someone cut an onion from 5 feet away and find out once your eyes clear up.

What would the required amount of sulfuric acid be to inhibit viral infection?

I really don't know, but I have a feeling that the amount needed to make a grown human cry and cough would be enough to put a ding or two to a flu virus attacking the lungs and nasal path.

How would that level of sulfuric acid effect the lungs?

It's sulfuric acid for crying out loud, it's melts sponges and crap at very low levels it irritates the lungs and makes you cry. The lungs find sulfuric acid uncomfortable and tries it's best to expunge it. If you nose, lungs and eyes are affected by it, what do you think it does to the flu virus?

Also, explain what does this have to do with the person stating onions magically trap "flu" bacteria?

A whole lot! It's an old wives tale dude!

They cut an onion thinking it magically absorbs the evil but in reality the cutting of the onions releases vapors that dissimulate through the air disinfecting table, doorknobs, and any other surface people have touched and contaminated with the flu virus.

It gives people an edge over the flu virus, think of the propanethiol s-oxide as a natural form of lysol with the exception that lysol can kill you and an onion can't.

I'm just making all this up though, again I just believe it's possible and I'd try it over getting a truly harmful and useless flu vaccine any day.

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Phage

The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

The flu is not caused by bacteria, nor are colds. The flu virus cannot be seen with an optical microscope.

BTW, www.truthorfiction.com...-MAn8pjfY
edit on 9/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Actually you're completely wrong.

OK, mostly wrong.

Where you're partly correct is that 'INFLUENZA' is not caused by bacteria, but a virus, which is too small to be seen with an optical microscope.

Where you're mostly wrong though, is that 'THE FLU' and 'INFLUENZA' are completely different things.

Around 80% - 90% of all reported and tested 'FLU' infections (as opposed to influenza) does NOT have the Influenza virus (any one of the strains) as the causal agent, most of the time non-specific bacterial infections and allergic reactions are to blame.

The confusion has occurred because the symptoms presented by the patients infected with an Influenza virus and those infected by a bacterial agent (among other causes) are almost the same.

So, the condition is usually and erroneously written up as simply 'FLU' or 'FLU-LIKE' infection.

So yes, bacteria can and does indeed result in a person contracting 'THE FLU'...although, not influenza.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
As to raw onion 'attracting' bacteria out of the air, I call bollocks on that and the 'blackening' would indicate a healthy colony of nasties actually thriving there after a few 'settlers' accidentally found themselves in the right place. That wouldn't support any reduction of those bugs and mould spores elsewhere though.

All forms of onions and garlic (same family) are actually being recognized as superfoods providing antioxidants, anti carcinogens and even lowering cholesterol levels promoting healthier cardiovascular systems which is perhaps why micro 'bugs' have such a good time on onion diets. I eat garlic and onion daily and my general health is excellent for my age group but I don't eat it raw very often, maybe in a summertime salad and sliced onion in dark vinegar is a favorite additional flavour sensation with those.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join