It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to three years in prison for Chinese internet users who spread rumours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
AHHHHHHH!!!

I think we'd all be serving Life without Parole in some fine, comfy place like Attica by now if this law were in place for speech of average folks across America. (I'll bet our Government would LOVE a version of it, too!)

Leave it to China to make a rude practice into a crime carrying hard prison time.

A libellous online post that is forwarded more than 500 times or viewed more than 5,000 times could land its author in jail for up to three years, according to the mainland's first judicial interpretation to control rumours on the internet.

The legal move comes as the Communist Party ramps up its campaign to rein in the internet following President Xi Jinping's call to "seize the ground of new media".

Yikes! 3 years for 5,000 impressions??? I don't even want to ask what threads at ATS get, do it? I don't think mere impression on threads is a metric they get down to for detail, to the public display at least. Given this?? That may be a real good thing for any Chinese members.

Besides quantifying the number of views or reposts that can get an internet user in trouble, the interpretation stipulates that any untrue post found to cause mental illness, self-harm or suicide can be considered a "serious case" also punishable by up to three years in jail. Other such "serious cases" include posts that lead to mass protests, instigate ethnic or religious clashes, damage the nation's image or "cause a bad international effect".
Source

So basically, shut up. Sit down and obediently play Farmville or something. Don't cast any nasty opinions in the little chat window either. You might have Chinese State Security kicking down your door for... ahem... posting a rumor. So, who determines fact from rumor, I wonder? The State? Oh, that should be a 100% reliable source of judgement.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

I play Candy Crush Saga and I love my government.

*signing off now to plant my Obamatree and grow Obamafruit and sing the happy Obamasong.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

One time I heard from my friends Aunt that she had heard from her co-worker whose friend had told him, that the Garbageman was bragging about the Lady down the street who.....

Wait a second, I don't want to start any rumors.

Can I start a conspiracy though? ATS is using the 5/3 format and the only 5/3 I have ever of is a bank based out of Cinncy. I think ATS has been bought out by the villainous Banksters! El...Oh...El

I wonder how many years in the clink China would slap me for just those two alone?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Theres a rumour Springer plays a mean blues guitar. So they say.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
They are very strict over there and many times very brutal. Oddly enough, the police do not carry firearms, only military does, but they are not far away from any given situation..

If a person was wearing a t-shirt that said "China's leader is an idiot" that person could be tortured and killed, or at the least. beaten and jailed..

It's a good thing over here we can still say things like "Obama is an idiot" without being jailed or beaten or drone striked. (uh..)

The saddest part of the communist party over there is that most of it's members do not agree with the values or actions it rules by, but they turn a blind eye to it in order to make a LOT of money off the system there.
Most of it's members all have children actually attending college over here in the USA or Canada..

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

EnigmaAgent
Theres a rumour Springer plays a mean blues guitar. So they say.

Well, now that is a serious accusation demanding the highest standard of proof, I do declare.

If such a thing were true, I suppose a good session for us all on ATS Radio would stand in place of pics to prove it isn't mere rumor.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I don't know, I think we are usually right on here! Not spreading rumors....That would be the MSM and government spending some time in prison!!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I think the problem is with how much any source you want to look toward which doesn't require time or a learning curve to make use of puts out as much rumor as not...so it's nothing bad on how we all choose sources, but a statement of unfortunate fact on the reliability of sources in general these days.

Take the Chinese State News services for instance....err... but that is precisely what isn't supposed to be talked about, huh? lol.... Clever on their part.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i hear obama is part of a conjoined triplets consisting of obama, george bush II with al gore being the one they thought would dry up and fall off in a few years. saw a picture but it looked more like a cow giving birth

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Americans and Westerners forget that most of the world is not so tolerant about what you can say. Sadly this sort of thing is all to common.

new topics

top topics

join