It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda’s strength with Syrian rebels now being downplayed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well, when you can't make them go away? Make them appear smaller and less important than they actually are on the ground, I suppose. This is just amazing. It's the classic 'change the language to change the issue' nonsense. To see this played out on a national level is really hard to believe.

The Obama administration has started to rebrand Syria’s rebels by de-emphasizing the number of al Qaeda fighters among them — a move critics say is based on questionable intelligence designed to downplay the risks associated with a U.S. military strike on the regime of President Bashar Assad.

Rebranding is a good term for it. He has to pretend we aren't really working with the same organization and people who, personally, have been in other nations in the region and almost certainly have American blood on their hands. As individuals. What was that saying about lipstick on a pig? Well....maybe not PIG in this case, right?

The best part is yet to come on this story. Where does the United States Secretary of State get his valuable insight to make policy decisions and cite facts to reporters?

His new characterization of the opposition has drawn scrutiny — in large part because of the way Mr. Kerry backed it up. Rather than cite official U.S. intelligence assessments, he pointed to an Aug. 30 opinion article penned for The Wall Street Journal by a 26-year-old analyst with ties to a group that lobbies in Washington on behalf of the Syrian rebels.

I think I need to change my graphic. Tenet isn't the most embarassing official in recent times we have anymore. Tenet just covered up a catastrophe. Kerry is trying to justify the ongoing process of creating a whole new one that isn't fully there yet.

Yup.... He definitely isn't the worst anymore. Gotta update that. Now which is more foolish here? Obama or Kerry? I'm not sure I can pick. Obama almost gets the excuse of being Naive where Kerry can't even play that game with a straight face. He actually fought in the last full blown version of what he's playing on the edges of starting right here?

Of course, there is always another in the middle of these things, right?

Some analysts speculated that Mr. McCain and Mr. Kerry may have sought to draw attention to Ms. O'Bagy’s work because the official intelligence assessment on Syria’s opposition is classified and because her article offered a chance to point to open-sourced intelligence that fit with their argument.
Source

McCain seems almost senile in his advanced years though. Almost like picking on a handcapped person to call him stupid. He also isn't in executive positions to make policy by the words he speaks and the signatures he puts to paper, personally. Kerry is to a great extent and of course..his Boss.

Don't worry though, before ya know it, we'll be told there are no Al Qaeda in Syria at all anymore ...and those terrorists carrying black flags and killing kids for blasphemy and more? Well.. they'll call themselves anything but that, to make it true.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here's the transparency people voted for. The hope and change for the future. (Sarcasm)

This is worse than anything I've seen. The scandals and lies and incompetency
that has been coming out of the Obama administration is worse and more insulting
than this country has ever had to endure previously.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

im sorry but im gonna havta flag u for that picture ,,,lol

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think there may have been a couple administrations in the 19th century that were similar for scale and open nature of corruption. I seem to recall a couple but not specifics. Anyway, it's been that long, IMO. Fundamental change is what we're getting. I guess what he said before taking office in 2009 was true to form. Change indeed. No one took him at his word. We sure should have, eh?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I am dying to see what comes out of Egypt regarding Obama's ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Even MSNBC people are starting to have doubts and that says a lot!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
One has to wonder

Did the politicians finally take time to read what the people that 'elected' them thought ?

In Britain our 'illustrious' leader took an 82% hit against war in 24 hours

It looked like this

Just maybe the power is in our hands, when we choose to unite ?

When the king of apes goes from this

To this

To this

It's time to think again

Cody

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I just want to know how Obama is going to blame Bush, the Tea Party, and House republicans for this.

*shocked face*
(until we get new emoticons.)
*tongue sticking out*

edit on 10-9-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

beezzer

I just want to know how Obama is going to blame Bush, the Tea Party, and House republicans for this.

*shocked face*
*tongue sticking out*

Don't know about Bush, but isn't the Syria call actually in the hands of House Republicans and the Tea Party? Just like they demanded?

Intervene..or don't intervene ...seems to be a debate being had by a divided GOP? McCain/Mainstream vs. TP/Rand crowd?

I am not a fan of assigning blame where it doesn't belong...but you seem to be claiming that the TP and GOP aren't the ones deciding? Should they not have accountability as well? For either action or inaction?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The strange thing about Kerry is that despite the typical partisan wrangling, there was bipartisan support for his foreign policy chops when Pres. Obama appointed him. He was one of the few that both parties were approving of...and he has turned out to be a complete, idiotic, flop on the very first FP crisis that landed in his lap. It will be a relief to see him gone in the near future.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well, you see Mr. Bunny, it's very simple really. Follow along now....

Daddy Bush kicked Saddam out of Kuwait, which in turn, caused a butterfly in Kansas to let a particularly remarkable passage of gas (for it's wee size) in the wind. That, by a series of events, caused the sun to shine a little brighter in the Middle East. Now that was bad enough...but then Baby Bush came along and caused all that noise and disruption next door to Syria. This, of course, made worse the problems that brighter sunlight had already started and led to psychosis among all we see targeted today.

See? I told ya. Real simple. It's a clear chain of events from 1990 to today. It's entirely the fault of the Bush family. Evidence leaves no doubt! Consensus is reached. Attack!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Indigo5

beezzer

*shocked face*
*tongue sticking out*

Don't know about Bush, but isn't the Syria call actually in the hands of House Republicans and the Tea Party? Just like they demanded?

Intervene..or don't intervene ...seems to be a debate being had by a divided GOP? McCain/Mainstream vs. TP/Rand crowd?

I am not a fan of assigning blame where it doesn't belong...but you seem to be claiming that the TP and GOP aren't the ones deciding? Should they not have accountability as well? For either action or inaction?

The last time I checked, Obama was president.

I thought he got to make the final decision.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Oh don't worry
It'll soon change again
To 'Syria has become a hotbed of terrorist activities and a refuge for terrorist groups planning to attack American and our allies ( Israel ) interests'

Afghanistan 2.0

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Yeah but that bunny pole dances

Your argument is invalid

Cody
(damn I miss the old emoticons)
edit on 10/9/13 by cody599 because: Crap at typing

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Here's the transparency people voted for. The hope and change for the future. (Sarcasm)

This is worse than anything I've seen. The scandals and lies and incompetency
that has been coming out of the Obama administration is worse and more insulting
than this country has ever had to endure previously.

Insulting, to be sure. But I think we're suddenly seeing all the transparency we need to see.

Somebody's making those puppets tapdance BIGtime—and it ain't us. This is what happens when the powers behind the "powers" don't get their way. The puppets are gyrating so hard they're dizzy and falling all over their little selves. And the more we don't buy it, the harder they jerk the strings.

Or, to change the metaphor, I swear Obama and Kerry and McCain, et al. must be getting their butts spanked raw every night before going to bed hungry. Failure is not an option for these guys....

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

It's hard not to start seeing that as being true, to at least some extent. I don't know what extent a level well above the elected one we see is directing these events, but it's hard to miss. Last week they were making statements of personal conviction and absolutes. Especially Kerry. This week, Putin added a new wild card, and they are contradicting themselves outright and often. It'd be funny but for who these people are and the power they wield by simple voice command.
edit on 10-9-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Who's making these idiots do what they do? Look at the absurdity of just this one thing that they were willing to stake their integrity(!), their credibility, their careers on. Now decide how far you're willing to go down that rabbit-hole, Wrabbit!

edit on 9/10/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

My biggest problem there is that I don't know what this was actually ...I mean REALLY...about. The surface stuff is what keeps the gomers/FSA in the field pulling triggers, and feeling like it's all important to them personally somehow.

It's the larger interests that have been moving major world powers in ways not seen in over 20 years. There are the strategic gas lines, and I put far more weight to the one from Iran to Syria than Qatar on up, as Iran opens a huge new source to the Med .. Qatar cuts off a trip around but isn't adding near the resource as the Caspian Sea production represents. That is just one part though, and if these *HUGE* gas reserves in the Med have the volume the numbers indicate, then a pipeline is almost a waste to bring from the M.E.. What is already producing 5-10 years from now in the Eastern Med will surely make it redundant. The new Gulf of Mexico is how that looks on paper for LNG, not Oil this time.

So...The pipelines can't be all of it, however strategic it is. It's the 'more' beyond that, which I'm not quite seeing. The Shia and Sunni are a very valid aspect for their fight to the death...but that isn't what has the world powers moving carefully in circles around each other right now either. Something else...and I can't place what the heck it could be, given that it must come above those issues...and what else does?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

beezzer

Indigo5

beezzer

*shocked face*
*tongue sticking out*

The last time I checked, Obama was president.

I thought he got to make the final decision.

Hmmm....I think he suggested the same thing and your crowd was shouting about Congress having the sole power to wage war...calling him a tyrant yada..yada..

So when he hands the decision to congress...suddenly it's not their job?

This logic makes my 3 year old more responsible then the GOP you are defending.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Al Qaeda (well not the real Al Qaeda but groups who pick up the franchise) does not make up the main fighting force of the rebels. They are small units more set up to hit soft targets as you have seen them operate in Iraq and Afganistan. They do not and can not fight a stand up conventional battle. That requires trained soldiers with some heavy arms and command and control. The reason the Syrian rebels have done so well is because they were handed this capability by the defecting Syrain Army which makes up the main fighting force of the rebels. Hodgepodge militias, rebels, terrorist groups would be limited to defensive operations hitting soft targets and conduting low level operations. That is where groups like Al Quada shine, they fight a low level conflict avoiding battles so that you get tired of taking casulties without being able to hit back. Your not going to win a battle or a take a city that way but it can be demoralizing for troops and the nation that sent them. The rebels of course are far beyond that. With the Syrian Army defectors at its core they do not fear a stand up battle and can take cities etc. Without those defectors at its core the revolution would have been all but crushed by now. Remember the Syrian Army had over 700,000 men with Air, Armour, Artillery etc. Every radical on the planet could not stand agains that in a stand up fight.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Who profits from destabilization in the Middle East, and who are all these dual-citizenship Neocons that run American foreign policy?

Oil and gas and resources and treasures are only part of the equation....

ETA: Larger hint: The name of the game is Complete World Domination. Take a close look at the TPP treaty, for example, that's being negotiated in secret and without the input of the lawmaking establishments or the peoples of the nations in question—and set to be enacted as an Executive-level treaty not subject to ratification.

The Middle East needs to be put to heel, and hard... and soon.

That may be the part you're not seeing....
edit on 9/10/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join