It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why your cell phone is your new ID and why the government loves this tech

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The cell phone. Seems you cannot go anywhere without someone having one. We all have one. Even Obama decided to turn up the heat on a previously introduced program to give one to everyone. The 'Obamaphone' as people called it. But, was this a way to make sure that the government could track everyone? Even those without the means to have one. A small price to pay to put your finger on the pulse of every person in the country.

With recent events about the NSA and spying, it is finally out in the open that they government is tracking where you are, what you do and where you go. It watches your email, social media and the likes. The ARRA introduced a way for the government to track your finances, health and just about any private record you may have tried to keep away from prying eyes. The IRS and DHS have it all. All but one thing to know you are you. The world of disposable phones is a way to keep one step ahead but that is slowly coming to an end.

The only thing missing for many of those in the country is one thing. Something that is unique to ALL people and if you want to create a database of people, what do you need? Fingerprints folks. You see, if your 'phone' is used, it may not be you. But, to truly track someone, if your fingerprint unlocks a device, the government can know immediately and exactly where you are.

Link to Story

Cool ideas and technology are suggested to the public as a way to better their lives. The Xbox One Kinect...hook it up and anyone can hack your living room .Bottled water...why do we pay more for something that is chemically treated than we do for a gallon of gas? Once this fingerprint technology is in the mainstream we will see it in other places. No more debit cards just a sync to the phone with approval from your thumb. All of your information in the one thing you never leave home without. No national ID card required...you all buy them yourselves.

When you use the device it has to record the fingerprint. It stores it and sends it and is saved. It can then be added your file and you can always be found. Tin foil or truth? You be the judge.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Makes me happy that I have never had a cell phone. And this is just more of a reason to not get one.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I hear you. I havn´t had one for over 3 years now, and I am more happy than ever.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Reminds me of the bogus 'identity theft' scam.

The only reason criminals can steal our credit is because the government put a barcode on us (social security number) and we allowed it.

Doesn't anyone realize that your SSN is officially "not meant for identification purposes"?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I have Boost Mobile. No names were exchanged.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Did you pay cash? That is the question. Everything you buy you have to pay cash or there is a record if you do not provide a name. You are also one of the few. In the US there are 327 million cellphones in service. The last US census put us at about 310 million. Scary stuff...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Many of my friends think I'm a freak of nature because I don't use the one I have....I'll take it with me if I'm travelling in questionable weather or on trips but, that's about it.

Between that and not having a face book account.....they get a good laugh at my expense....too bad the joke is really on them.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by magesticesoteric

Yeah I recognize the laughing part too
But as you say, the joke is really on them.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I don't have a Cell Phone and Never will.

What is funny though is that allot of people I know go get those $10 phones with a monthly plan that does Not require a Name or Personal Information.

I do expect those phones will eventually be outl-awed.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I was wondering when someone would finally connect the dots on the NSA programs and all those free Obamaphones. By the way, there is nothing illegal about keeping track of your property, just that you incidentally track the ones that have that property.

The problem is that they didn't differentiate between their phones and all phones.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

They will go away when it is shown that they are tied to 'criminal activity' and are a threat to national security because terrorists, foreign or domestic use them in a crime/attack and they were not able to be tracked. It is the next logical step in control in my eyes. In the eyes of the government anything that is not controllable is a threat.

It is also a way to make those who cannot afford a larger or popular plan to have no other outlet than a government issued phone also.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I may or may not use my debit card (usually I do).

But my method of payment is not proof of who I am. The same debit card pays for 2 Boost phones (the wife and I) and a Virgin Mobile phone (the son).

Sometimes I use a different card altogether. And sometimes I may have someone else pay it while I am tied up (a family member), and I reimburse them.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Makes me so glad I only ever use brown paper and red ink, written in cryptic cuniform and folded 8 times, stuffed into a brick and thrown off a bridge, to talk to people.

I mean, if they're trying to steal your finger prints with this, just what else are they doing.

Yep, it's all esp and sign language for me from now on. So glad I never used anything.

... what, why can't I run amok this bandwagon of hysterical insanity too?

oh lol

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

When you can use a debit card to find your online reservation for flying instead of your passport...they know who you are when you use it. For anything....

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I remember the days when a company would know your name, your billing details, etc, and provide you with a phone, that was actually hard wired direct to where you live. Sometimes they'd even call you, personally. Oo

And this other company would send around a guy, every day almost, and he'd put messages in your front door - messages from people he doesn't even know, but somehow knows that they want to talk to you.

Now we're afraid of our own voice mail...

*runs back to the basement*

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

winofiend

I remember the days when a company would know your name, your billing details, etc, and provide you with a phone, that was actually hard wired direct to where you live. Sometimes they'd even call you, personally. Oo

And this other company would send around a guy, every day almost, and he'd put messages in your front door - messages from people he doesn't even know, but somehow knows that they want to talk to you.

My only issue is that we have seen that "they" can turn on microphones, cameras, etc. But then again, people pay good money to have a camera installed in their home, hooked up to NSA servers. That's all XBox Kinect is.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

I have Boost Mobile. No names were exchanged.

But they can still track your GPS, phone calls and text messages. I also have boost Mobile as well. If you are not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

winofiend

and the US mail tracks every piece. However, mail is dying and those who want information need a new way to find it. Before the War on Drugs you could send a gun in the mail and no one would be the wiser. The War on Drugs made it 'easier' and more confidential to track every piece of mail, for a reason, that most would not think twice about. If it is for the greater good than so be it...

Home phones are not all digital through the cable provider so again, there was a time when it was different but it is not now. I am from the thought that if you are doing nothing wrong then you are ok but times have changed. If you are associated with someone who is friends with someone else on a social media site you are in the seven degrees of that person by association and if they do something wrong you can expect a visit or a call.

It is not about being afraid, it is about being informed. The 1% of those who do know what is going on are screwed by the other 99% who can see but are blinded by what occurs in front of them on a daily basis.

Conditioning...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
interesting timing with the new iPhone S release

ETA: "It's never available to other software." It's never uploaded to Apple's servers or backed up to iCloud.

edit on 10-9-2013 by atsmediapro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I always used prepay phones, under a made up name myself. Now I don't even bother with that, mostly because I can't afford to buy minute cards every month to keep it activated. The first one I had was really the best, you only needed to buy minutes every 4 months, if you still had unused minutes on it. The last two though would shut you off if you didn't buy some every month, whether you still had minutes or not.

<<   2  3 >>

join