It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 04:49 AM
link   
HEY Y'all,

I was wondering(after watching Goonies and all) Do you guys know if there is or 'were' true pirates and can you give me any info about them...please..I've always had a pretty big interest in them, but never really heard anything...except for movies or TV. Noone really talks about them much. I have other questions, but not wanting to sound tooo dumb-I'll wait for replies and see if anyone touches on my questions

Thanks Mag

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The Barbary Pirates of the Barbary Coast, along the northern shores of Africa were known to terrorize the seas in order to live and produce means for their country. Many Barbary Pirates were natives of Tunisia, Morocco, Lybia, Eygpt, and Algeria.

Then again that is just one era of Pirates. There were Pirates, in the Native Americas, in India, in other parts of Africa, and just about anywhere a criminal can find ones self. In fact Pirates exist still to this day. Somalia is said to have unprotected waters that won't be safe for at least 500 miles off the coastal borders of that poverty stricken land. That is the home of the radical 6-12 way war that slaughters the people of East Africa whole.

Then I have also heard that the Pirates, and the symbol on the flag often associated with Pirates is a Brotherhood operation. One that was created by the Skull and Bones master ranking creators, the Brotherhood of the Snake. This can be believed but not proven.

[Edited on 18-5-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 05:06 AM
link   
and they made a sort of anarcgy society in the caraibes island.
Some where idealists and other materialists that's why they didn't sucess in there are adventure.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
Some where idealists and other materialists that's why they didn't sucess in there are adventure.

Some of them try a build a new kind of society in the island. A sort of "free land". The last one of these freeland is sealand. but it's bot a good place, there are only huslters, slayers and hijackers...

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Many of these Pirates lived horrible lives. Still do to this day.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I was also wondering if there were/are any pirates that were Icelandic or Nordic? Or were the vikings totally different and in no way affiliated with pirates?

It certainly makes sense what you said in your last paragraph about the skull and bones and the 'brotherhood' I have kind of heard a little of that mentioned here and there as well..

Thanks for your info AV

Magestica~

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There are real pirates...

Vikings were pirates of a sort, but not what we typically term "pirates". It's a time period moniker. Pirates still exist in the carribean, though no longer hunting gold-laden spanish vessels, and focusing on drug running instead.

In my area (Tampa, FL), we actually have a parade, coupled with a mock invasion by pirates, in honor of Jose' Gaspar (i.e. the Gasparilla Parade...a Mardi Gras-like festival) who used to port in Tampa. Why do you think our football team is called the Buccaneers?

Most pirates (as we think of them) were plying the seas and profitting from the ongoing war between England and Spain, some even operating with letters of Marquee (acted as agents of one, against the other) that made them "legal" pirates (they couldn't be arrested in their home ports)...though many simply attacked targets of opportunity.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Just tap in "South China Sea Pirate" into your search engine.
Those guys are more active there today than ever before.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Here's a good link for you:

www.wikipedia.org...

and here's another

www.iccwbo.org...

[Edited on 19-5-2003 by Leveller]

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i dont know much on this subject but wasnt the legend of Bluebeard based on some french guy? (and before any wise-@$$ decides to say 'dont you mean BLACKbeard' well i am getting to him)

blackbeard was an english pirate whose real name was william (i think it was william) Teach and he was most definately REAL.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm also from Fla and we have a festival every year there as well, they even hide a treasure and everyone goes on the search for it lol! They have a parade and fireworks and people dressed as pirates everywhere(I know boring little town)

But I just always kind of thought of pirates more as people who were travelers and thieves..yet maybe somewhat misunderstood. I wondered if they are portrayed the way they actually were. So thanks for the info all and the links..I'll definately check them out!

Mag

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
who sank their victims' ships, and killed the crew, others simply took the gold and left. From what I've read, it seems that most of the film adaptations aren't too far off the mark. The movie Pirates of the Carribean will be coming out soon....looks awesome....

And yes, William Teach is who you are thinking of daystar....

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 07:18 AM
link   
fanx for clearing that up, gazrok - i wasnt sure if his name was william or edward

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 09:43 AM
link   
His name was largely thought to be Edward William Teach, but sometimes he is referred to as William Thatch, or Edward Thatch, if I recall correctly. That's likely why you had both names in your head....

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 09:57 AM
link   
fanx anyway

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Gosh! It took me over 24 hours to figure out what that festival in my town was called...Ahhhh relief now!!
Again thanks for all the info folks

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Played a great role in war between Spain, UK and France. Surcouf was a french pirates who fight against britains military ship and destroyed many english galions.

Caribeans pirates are also the first whitemen who abolitated slavery, considering black men as brothers.

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Black Flag with Skull and Bones, and it's the Pirates Flag

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Caribeans corsaires like Jean BART, Surcouf and others

"Corsaires" were often pirates who recieved payment from nations to intercept and hunt down other pirates or to protect ship routes.

The skull and crossbones flag is known as the "Jolly Rogers", I have one just so I could fly it on my houseboat when I get it.

[Edited on 20-5-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Corsairs are often also referred to as "Freesails"...and are under the aforementioned "letters of marquee" from their sponsoring nation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join