It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft's 'Palladium'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Remember what happened after sept 11? The government (Australian anyhow) said they were passing new anti-terrorism laws which allowed them to tap into 'potential' terrorist's phone-lines. Someone I know (
) was unwittingly involved in a field test where he was tapped, and followed. Their laws to protect the innocent didn't protect the innocent, their exercise involved REAL people, NOT real terrorists.

They pass new laws in the guise of 'safety', but in the end it allows them to find out. How do they establish that you are a potential terrorist? They have to monitor your calls to find out what you are talking about in the first place.

This is the same. It could be 'control' in the guise of safety. I've seen this too many times before

[edit on 25-4-2005 by Grayda]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
There's an easy solution to this:

1) DO NOT connect any sensitive computer systems to ANY wireless OR Internet based network

2) use pre XP OS's and applications to avoid the registration crap (ie don't use Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Office XP etc)

We do it now and we know our data is 1000% safe

Cheers

JS

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Just goto college and get a degree in computer engineering.

Then build your own computer.

Team up with a good software engineer to make your own operating system and you have yourself your own private secure computer (except all data you transmit out into the internet).

I am not worried about Microsoft and Palladium.

Until another operating system comes out, I will use Windows. I like Windows. UNIX or LINUX is not as good in my opinion. And im not in the business of computer engineering or software engineering (although it is a nice goal or hobby).

But we do have privacy rights. I dont think Palladium is legal really. You are supposed to be secure in your persons and possesions. Since you own your computer, you have the right of privacy of your hard drive.

But the Patriot Act defines US Citizens as all domestic terrorists(defenders of the constitution), so we really have our civil rights revoked right now.

ASteroid X119 is going to kill us all soon I can feel it. Our karma must be seriously screwed on some level.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by Obfuscate]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
This is completely outrageous, It will never work. I am sure somebody will invent an alternative to this palladium crap that will allow us to use the net as we want to and without being monitored etc.

apc

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The issues will arrise when more and more systems become Microsoft proprietary. If you've ever been to a webpage that absoluely had to [have] IE to work right, you have already experienced this. Remember the big lawsuits from Sun over Java? All the antitrust violations that just got swept under the rug.. now thanks to all the big boys holding hands, there will be instruction sets only able to be utilized by MS software, peripheral devices only able to be operated through MS software. You know that new "driver signing" BS? It is just one more way for MS to stick their seal of approval on third party software, which means inserting their own tidbits of code into the software package.

This will not mean the death of open source, it will mean the amplifying of the already existing seperation between open source and commercial software. Unix will ALWAYS have a place, and will in all likelihood dominate the market once MS implodes.. it's already starting with OS X (MacOS on top of a BSD-based kernel) and the increase in the number of end-users trying Linux. Personally, Ive never enjoyed running Linux as a desktop OS (although I wouldnt think of using anything but BSD serverside), until recently when RedHat and Debian have introduced plastic-wrapped packages with a very wide range of hardware support. Not to mention the increase in software packages end-users want, along with the significant improvements in Windows emulation.

It's easy to bypass MS product registration/authentication/verification, and it will only take a few more steps to bypass whatever hardware security measures are put in place. Without a doubt if these fools are that serious about stopping software piracy (a MAJOR source of REVENUE for the commercial software industry), music/movie piracy (a MAJOR source of REVENUE for the entertainment industry), they are going to end up with computer systems that are practically unusable and incapable of providing the user with the experience they desire. Things will require to much conformity.

The goal used to be make people think like computers (DOS). Then it was make computers think like people (Windows). Now it is use computers to change how peope think. Welcome to the 21st century.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by apc]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Digital Rights Management: you can control who can read, forward, and save your e-mails,etc., and conversely, the RIAA/MPAA/etc. can control content that it sends/sells to you

DRM Doesn't let the consumer use fair use clauses. It's pisses people off, just look at all the iTunes/iPod hacks that let you transfer DRMed files to other mediums which Mac does not want you to do.

Digital Rights Management is just an attack on our Rights to Fair Use of technology, I foresee a backlash coming soon.

DRM Makes customers Mad(BBC)

Angry Customer Quotes from the article
"The stupid thing about DRM is that it doesn't work - it's just annoying, and anyone with a CD rewriter can circumvent it. Treating your customers as if they were criminal simply encourages criminal behaviour. I don't share any of the files I buy from the iTunes and Coke music stores with anyone, but as a matter of principle I remove the copy protection straight away, so I can use the songs on whatever computer or music player I want."

"I also do not like the possibility that,in the future, we shall see more and more music becoming "player specific" - music is there to be enjoyed; not to drive sales of the latest gadget."

[edit on 26-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
As long as we're talking about DRM, here is an AMAZING link that I came upon just 3 hours ago. It's a talk given to DRM about why it's utter crap. Fantastically written. Very long, but if you're at all interested, or even if you're not, I HIGHLY suggest reading it.

craphound.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Nice article. If DRM really carries the key in messages, then someone will problably write a program that can decrypt any DRM message. They can't encrypt the key with itself, because then it would be undecryptable, so its probably going to be very easy to break.

Also, when I said hackers and viruses, I didn't mean that they were at all similar, but that they were the two things likely to break through 'Palladium' first. I agree that they are totally different. Hackers will take all the stuff they want, decrypt it, and use it independantly of the system. Viruses, trojans, and the like will wreak havoc, get blacklisted, and have new ones take their place.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join