It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Top secret super-secure Los Alamos vault declassified"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Actually a tunnel with a vault. Los Alamos has a number of "technical areas" that really aren't all that isolated. Some you can drive right up to.

Down in a remote canyon near Los Alamos National Laboratory lies a facility known as the "Tunnel Vault," once one of the most secret and secure locations in the United States, it's the original post-WWII nuclear stockpile storage area. Located in Los Alamos canyon at Technical Area 41, the Tunnel Vault was built between 1948 and 1949. The facility has a formidable security perimeter, a hardened guard tower — complete with gun ports and bulletproof glass — and a series of gates and doors that lead to a 230-foot long concrete tunnel that goes straight into the canyon wall. At the end of the tunnel is a large alcove room with a single bank vault door. Through that door is a vault built inside a vault with five storage areas, all protected with identical bank vault doors. Over the years the Tunnel Vault was also used as a nuclear materials and nuclear fuel storage area, a weapons research and development laboratory, weapons components storage, and nuclear material assembly for tests both in the Pacific and in Nevada. About halfway down the tunnel is a side room that was used for early development of unclassified research that led to the discovery of the solar neutrino — work that later won a Nobel Prize in physics — a lab space ideal for the work because it's buried 300-feet deep underground.

edit on 10-9-2013 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Very cool, thanks geriac!
Started in 48' Just imagine what we can build now. lol

I love the sign in the background @2:12.

[-Project Poltergeist - Theoretical Division- Visitors Welcome-]

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

obviously they are changing venues for all the secret stuff...it's the only reason we are starting to see declassified stuff from there.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

WWII nuclear stockpile storage area

hey wait dont go there!! its it is very dangerous .. there may still contain radioactive residual..

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy, it's good to see you have some common sense!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Wow I love to see the Engineering alone in this video, just for the vaults and doors. Project Poltergiest, Hmm

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

I don't know the exact details of how this room fit into Project Poltergeist, but that was the hunt for the neutrino. The BBC has a video on this:

This is a typical BBC style you either love or hate. They mix in all sort of extraneous stuff to turn down the geek level. I tolerate it, but prefer maximum geekiness.

The basic story for the hunt for the neutrino is a good one. Hey, the video could be worse. It could have Bob Lazar in it. The time period to complete the discovery is about 30 years. It seems like about every 5 years you would read about some particle physics gurus getting a grant and doing some experiment in a cave or mine to solve the missing neutrino problem.

join