It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cant get video to work on 2nd monitor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hey guys,

To anyone who reads this thank you and sorry, the sorry is for the fact Im a total techtard and know absolutely nothing LOL.

Ok so I wanna play video from my lappy on an external monitor, youtube and all web based content works fine but when I try to play it through VLC or Windows media player I just get a black screen on the monitor.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I'm guessing you're switching monitors after opening the file with VLC.

Try to open VLC first...than switch it to the other monitor, and than load the movie file. Also try setting your shortcut top VLC on the other monitor before launching it.

Hope it helps...

also...be sure to check the resolution setting set for the other monitor.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Im pretty sure you right click on the homepage and click display settings. I know its in there somewhere. I just don't own a computer at the moment to double check.

But you can always use google and or youtube. You'll find it

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Try opening explorer in the second monitor then opening the video from there. Or copy the video to the desktop on the second monitor before opening it. opening it from the other screen has worked for me in the past, yet dragging an open video to the second monitor renders it a dead screen. Audio works, but no video.

It could also be DRM. Windows might not like you playing digitally protected media via a secondary monitor. Because you can steals it like a theives.. grr m$ morons..

If it's a second video card you're using, it could be as mentioned, as I also try to help with the above, by opening the video on the second monitor it won't try to use the wrong codecs. Different monitors from different video cards will have different things. I dunno. sounds good.

If it's a dual head video card, ... throw it all in a postage pack and send it to me.. I'll sort it out for ya, and compress it all into a nice small 7" tablet form to be super efficient, before sending it back to you!

promise!

im exhausted and horny and I dont know what I'm talking about.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
are you duplicating the laptop screen or treating the external monitor as a second display?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Have you tried holding down the Windows key on your keyboard, you know the little Windows logo button that opens the start menu, and pressing "P" simultaneously?

Open the video in VLC or WMP, then press "Windows Button" + P on the keyboard and it will select different monitors. It's a shortcut for multiple display selection. Works every time.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hey guys, thanks to all for your help.

I got it sorted, instead of duplicating my display I extended the monitor and it worked without any issues.

Thanks again for all ur replies, I really appreciate it

If u guys were here it would be beers all round but since ur not its stars all round

new topics

top topics

join