It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. government orders U.S. airlines to turn over their passenger data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The United States government ordered domestic airlines to turn over their passenger records. The records will be used to test their screening system to help identify potential terrorist. While the move was not unexpected, it still has brought out protests over its invasion of privacy. The system called �Secure Flight� will compare manifests with government no fly lists as well as a watch list of potential terrorists. The airlines have until November 23 to comply with the order.

story.news.yahoo.com< br /> WASHINGTON (AP) - The government ordered U.S. airlines Friday to turn over personal information about passengers so it can test a system for identifying potential terrorists. The move was expected but nonetheless brought protests from civil libertarians worried about invasions of privacy.

Under the system, called Secure Flight, the Transportation Security Administration will compare passenger data with names on two government watch lists: a "no-fly" list comprises known or suspected terrorists, and a "watch" list names people who should face tighter scrutiny before boarding planes.

"Secure Flight represents a significant step in securing domestic air travel and safeguarding national security information, namely, the watchlists," the TSA said in a notice announcing the order.

The TSA order gives 72 airlines until Nov. 23 to turn over computerized data for passengers who travelled on domestic flights during June.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a really grey area. How much in the way of civil liberties are we willing to give up in order to protect ourselves. On the surface it seems pretty reasonable. It allows the government to check each flight and make sure that no potential terrorists are on board. However, my trust in the government only goes so far. What other uses for the data would they look at?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Error Puts Kennedy on Airline No-Fly List

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I do believe in a general screening of all passengers thru metal detectors at all airports. I do believe that this is overkill to ask for lists . The whole point is to protect the travellers from Hijacking and possible terroristic actions

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This caught my attention in the article:

About 500 people formally commented on the Secure Flight plan this fall. Almost all opposed it, saying it would allow the government to monitor where people go and deprive them of the right to travel without telling them why.

In issuing the order, the TSA didn't resolve another key concern for privacy advocates: redress. There still is no formal way for people mistakenly identified as terrorists, or who have the same name as a suspected terrorist, to get off the lists.

While I don't care if the Feds know where I travel - they can find that out by my credit card use - it is the problem of misidentification that needs to be corrected. Once you get on one of these "lists" it's almost impossible to get off and the Feds have failed, yet again, to issue guidelines for addressing this.

B.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Actually the terrorist should be stop at the airport not when he boards the ariplaine. I don't get it is the FED no going to tag its citizen with this bs.

top topics

join