It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Crazy Software Extracts 3D Objects from Photos with a Few Clicks

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hi All

A new method of extracting an object in 3d from one 2d image, the object is fully editable
there will be plenty of applications for this some good some bad ie using for a hoax.

petapixel.com...

What do you think.
edit on 9-9-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

This will revolutionize concept architecture. Going from a drawing to a small-scale building using a 3D printer and some picture software? Perfect for testing building schematics. Inch by inch, the future is gradually crawling through our front door.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I think that inserting UFO's into pictures got a whole lot easier.

I'm blown away by this.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This software will certainly be handy in helping with the creation of 3d enviroments.

I could see it having applications in holograms as well. Could be used to create "virtual worlds" from the real world.

Fascinating, and exciting.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I can see this as a great way to render quick meshes for gaming. With a basic mesh set, tweaking it for in game use would really speed up development.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

That's actually just the first thing that popped into my head. Fallout and Elderscrolls mods.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
someone could have some real fun with this by using it on the Zepruder film, examining
the JFK event in a new way.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
MIND BLOWN!!!

They need to put this software into video games... NOW!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Ahabstar

I can see this as a great way to render quick meshes for gaming. With a basic mesh set, tweaking it for in game use would really speed up development.

I'm still trying to figure out how it could be used in game development. I suppose it could speed up asset creation because you could just take pictures of mundane objects and use this to pull meshes out of them, but I still think there is a need to use traditional 3d applications like Maya and 3ds. You can't take pictures of objects or characters that don't exist in the real world, so for the moment they still need to be modeled by hand.

Also, no idea if this software can even export models to other applications, and if so what format they use or what sort of polycount you are looking at for simple primitives or if it generates UV maps with it's models. Still, very cool and could potentially revolutionize the way 3d content is generated. Would be nice to see autodesk implement something similar into their packages.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

This is awesome I am an artist and definatley need this type of software sometimes, I dont make hoaxs though but will still say thank you for posting this as i have alot to read and learn from this as well as play with

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Didn't dave Wilcox claim to have used this to find mars anomalies? I think he is kindof a gob#e but I would like to try this software on the spirit rover sasquatch picture.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Mmmm

This, and combine it with Euclideon.
Or somehow put them together...

Id say we are in for a ride in the next years...
In game dev and ALSO in HOAX section....

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
OMG, I really love this software.
shut up and take my money.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

oh wow my first thought of use was for landscaping the backyard and you could redecorate your house using magazines, catalogues and brochures

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

crankyoldman
someone could have some real fun with this by using it on the Zepruder film, examining
the JFK event in a new way.

Yeah -- but this can't ADD information that is not already in the 2D image. what I mean is that this software can't magically know what is really on the "other side" of a 2D object in a picture.

For example, the tobacco pipe in the video example was made 3D and spun around a bit, making visible the "other side" of the pipe that was previously not visible. However, the information that was on the "other side" of the pipe not seen in the 2D image is NOT real information. It was simply fake information about the non-visible side of the smoking pipe that was interpolated/mirrored/derived from the side of the pipe that we could see.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have done 3D imaging as a hobby...sort of makes some 3D modeling obsolete.

My head is sufficiently bent!
edit on 11-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

top topics

join