It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-INDIVIDUALS: Hamas leader in rare appearance at Arafat funeral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Making an extremely rare public appearance, , Khaled Meshaal, leader of the Islamic militant group Hamas, attended the funeral of Yasser Arafat. Meshaal, number one on Israel�s most wanted list, rarely leaves his Damascus compound for fear of assassination. He has already survived one such attempt in 1997. Calling Arafat�s death "a premeditated Zionist murder", he further claims that he was a victim of poisoning by the Mossad as well. He further stated that he expect no discord between his group and the Palestinians will come about after Arafat�s death.

story.news.yahoo.com
CAIRO (AFP) - Israel's most wanted man, Khaled Meshaal, leader of the Islamic militant movement Hamas, made a rare public appearance at Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's funeral alongside US and other Western officials.

Meshaal, whose movement is regarded as a terrorist organization by Washington, rarely leaves his base in Damascus, although he was in Cairo earlier this year for Egyptian-sponsored talks aimed at agreeing a new truce by militant groups.

The Hamas leader, who was himself the victim of an Israeli assassination attempt in Amman in September 1997, has accused Israel of poisoning the Palestinian leader.

He told Egypt's official MENA news agency that Arafat's death was "a premeditated Zionist murder."

In an earlier interview with Qatar-based satellite broadcaster Al-Jazeera, he recalled: "Seven years ago, when I was the victim of a similar poisoning operation, the doctors were unable to find any proof in my blood. But at the time, Israel was forced to hand over the remedy because we were holding two Mossad agents."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its interesting that he chose to make the trip. Even more interesting that as far as we know, the Mossad did not make and attempt to take him out. They could not at the funeral due to the large number of foreign dignitaries, but you have to wonder why they did not try to target him as he was going or coming. No doubt his operational security is tight, but nothing is perfect. His appearance may have come as a surprise to the Mossad and it simply was unable to act in time.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Tens of Thousands Storm Mukata Compound; Arafat Buried Amidst Massive Gunfire

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
This is weird,I asked myself that same qyestion yesterday;"What if Arafat was poisoned by mossad",I mean it is visible.Afterall they (the goverment) would not deal with him so why not take him out.It was neither a copletely a mission impossible,however i got stuck when i came to the actual delivery system ...food ..that would be tested first,and others would have symtoms too,get to the doctor and through him administer the leathal cocktail..;but then again there's Loyalty,no? lots of people would given up their life for Arafat....

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sorry FredT kinda off subject a little

was saying to some of my friends the other day. Wouldn't it be ironic justice if a Isreali suicide bomber blew themselves up at arafats funeral.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
When I first saw this headline, I was thinking that he was at the burial at the Mukata, and my mind was racing to the crowds that had gathered there. I was wondering if they weren't packed with members of Hamas, and if they weren't responsible for the chaos that ensued there. Then I thought about what would have happened had an Israeli Apache fired on him.

Then I read further and realized he was in Cairo, not Ramallah. I bet Israeli would have loved to have found him on a private plane or helicopter flying from Syria to Egypt. The would have been one flight that stopped early.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
In the business they call it " professional curtisy "

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Arafat did not seem to be poisoned, the most probable cause of his dead was a cold which took it's toll on his body because of HIV. If you are poisoned, you don't get better for a bit and then all of a sudden fall ill again, that's not consistent with poisoning, at least not that I know of.

[edit on 13-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What a missed out opportunity to take out some of the top Islamic militants that attended the funeral. Israel is probably gritting there teeth on this one.

top topics

join