It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex and alcohol make you happier than kids and religion, study finds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Kids are said to fill our lives with poignancy and inexplicable joy, yet it appears many parents would rather be tossing back some bourbon and rolling around in their skivvies than taking care of their beloved offspring. A new study by Carsten Grimm from the University of Canterbury in New Zealand has found people rate sex as the top activity that brings them happiness, followed by drinking alcohol or "partying." Caring for kids (yawn) fell down the list at number five. God also got the cold shoulder, with people rating meditating and religion at number four.

now.msn.com...

Sounds like New Zealand has a different take on attitudes contrasted with the emotionally constipated American masses. Or perhaps not....

My contemporaries make no bones about what their priorities are and "partying" tops the list.
And even in mainstreme America, I'll bet if you might find this to be the case as well; it's just that few would admit it.
edit on 9-9-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It may be true.
But...
Most people that I know would not trade their children for alcohol.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Sure. Makes sense.

Sex and alcohol .... actual chemical stimulations in the body to make it feel good. Psychologically they make you feel good because there is no responsibility or stress with them.

Kids and religion .... taking care of children can tire the body out. So can being on all sorts of church and volunteer committees/groups. Stress is involved in religion. Guilt.

Although, I was MUCH happier when the adoption agency put my baby daughter in my arms
then I ever was when I had been out partying.

I guess it's all a matter of what you want out of life ....

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Sounds about right. I know I personally don't want to have kids and I've dropped religion like a bad habit. Of course my reasons for not wanting kids isn't a selfish one. I just know I'm not in a position to take care of one.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

"Sex and alcohol make you happier than kids and religion, study finds"

No... and it took a STUDY to find that out?!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Such a stupid study (not to reflect upon the OP).

How long does satisfaction from sex last? How long does the effects of alcohol last?
How long does enjoying a family last?
Let us substitute as an alternative counterweight to the "kids and religion" angle, that of a job.
Which is causes more happinessr? Oooh! Sex and alcohol wins again.

I've tried all of those. They all have their place and cannot be equated in any form. All are over sold. but then, I'm a realist.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I am sure the alcoholics and sex addicts have a lot of fun, especially during the final stages before their early demise from the horrible diseases attached to this sort of fun, and can confirm this 'report'.

Man, I know the human race is advancing towards the oblivion of sheer stupidity as depicted in the movie, 'Idiocracy*, but this is ridiculous.

edit on 9-9-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Duh! As a father of two and say this is true. But I would live in the misery of my children any day.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Many are not emotionally or physically equipped to handle children and spirituality. The "party" mentality is for those who are unable to live up to those standards.

This is why more young people are generally more interested in partying than adults. People have personal growth to experience that prepares them for the things that are real in life. Those that don't make that leap in growth end up being the middle-aged alcoholics that scan Craigs List and night clubs for anything that can justify their lives.

I'm not saying that a lack of spirituality or children are bad but it's not good to spurn those things in favor of an exclusive diet of things that appease to your physical base instincts.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
What variables did they include and leave out? Those are instant gratification activities that are associated with being stress relievers so they could be considered more enjoyable for the short term. However, if someone is on their death bed I doubt they will say "I had a full life because I was drunk and permiscuous throughout". Or that those were the greatest joys of their life.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter
reply to post by olaru12

I am sure the alcoholics and sex addicts have a lot of fun, especially during the final stages before their early demise in various forms of horrible diseases, and can confirm this 'report'.

Man, I know the human race is advancing towards the oblivion of sheer stupidity as depicted in the movie, 'Idiocracy*, but this is ridiculous.

edit on 9-9-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

That movie crossed my mind when I read this too. Instead of curing cancer and advancing the cause of humanity, scientists will focus on increasing penis sizes and making cocktails that don't give you hangovers.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I can only speak from personal observation....

Most families I encounter are so dysfunctional; there is precious little enjoyment, what with all the resentments, bickering, lying and abuse.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by Aliensun

I can only speak from personal observation....

Most families I encounter are so dysfunctional; there is precious little enjoyment, what with all the resentments, bickering, lying and abuse.

That is to prepare the children for the real world.

Actually, I have moments every day with my children that make me smile... and they smile too!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
First off, I can't believe someone wasted money on that survey!!!!

Second, now that my kids are grown, Hell yes!!!!! I now have time for both!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Never been married and don't have kids.

I'm a happy guy.

Some guys my age have grand children and they're happy too.

I guess it comes down to individual life choices.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I can see how when kids get to the teen years parents may want to have a few, or several.
Those are tough years for parents to get through. I've always said there's a reason why we have kids when we're young and dumb because it we knew better we probably wouldn't do it!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
yes sex and alcohol do make you happier until you wake up in the morning with a stinking hangover .

and little jeebus screaming his head off needing a nappy change

so my advice folks find a barren nymphomaniac alcoholic what can go wrong

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
How is happy defined? Are we all using the same definition? Isn't the idea of happy remarkably simple as to have almost zero meaning?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Sounds legit!

Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 8:15

The study's results are biblical enough!

My signature!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

lol.

Sex and Alcohol appeal more to the carnalality of mankind (lust of the flesh), and so for carnally minded people it will bring them temporary happiness at the expense of long term control/temperance over said lust. Both are spirals into habbit/addiction forming trends which if uncontroled lead to pain suffering and the destuction of family/relationships with others.

True happiness is in peaceful and productive relationships with others. Both of these actions destroy that true joy in life if pursued as the "source" of carnal pleasure, falsely acciated with "happiness".

Both children and religion are meant to teach the human mind how to love another person. They are meant to teach you over a lifetime how to build productive and peaceful relationships with others resulting is true joy (spiritually, in the mind) rather than temporay "pleasure" (physically, in the body) at the expense of relationships with others.

Physically minded people will agree with the OP, as they think physically.

Spiritually minded people see it for what it is, and understand the joy and fullness of life God teaches His people to live toward all others resulting in productive and peaceful relationships, and recognize the blessing children provide in learning to live God's way of life more fully then any other relationship possible.

If I were selfishly motivated, sex and drugs (alcohol) would make me "happy" selfishly... but that does not produce joy in life or selfless love given to another as God and children do. To be selflessly motivated is to love another, which results in blessings to relationships and joy among men.

God Bless,

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join