It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Flags bump a thread..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I have seen intresting threads with several Flags and no comments disappear off the ATS quickly.Often I read a thread and if I think it is important or interesting and Flag it. But unless I comment on it the thread does not bump. Might it not be a good idea to allow Flags to bump threads back up in the recent posts..

Just my two pence..

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Bumping threads was/is against the terms. Getting flagged and replied indicates the thread topic might be worthy enough of staying on top. Having substance is the focus it seems and not just a click with no added substance to the thread in question.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

this just might be one of those cases

edit on 9-9-2013 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I think its a good idea. I don't know how many of my threads fell off the recent threads list after gaining loads of flags but, no replies.

I don't think every flag should bump a thread, maybe just every ten should bump it to the top of the list.

Too many good threads drop into obscurity because there's nothing left to be said after a good OP.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I like it

With regards to the frequency, I would say every time it is flagged would be fine, most active threads only get to about 30-60 pending the interest, which really is not that many bumps throughout the course of the threads existence or even a day for that matter.

The issue with setting a limit of 5 or 10 flags per bump would make it pointless really, seeing the average number of flags your typical thread attracts.

My 2 cents

edit on 9-9-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Bumping is an integral part of the way a forum works. A forum cannot function very well without it. I do not mean bumping a thread for no reason but because the OP has worth..

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
nice idea a flag to bump the thread

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I concur..! I too have seen many an excellent and informative thread gather many flags and no replies.. And many tend to be very important and should seen by as many members as possible.. It is a great idea purplemer..

Here be a flag and a bumpity bump...!

edit on 10-9-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The only problem I see with this if while reading older threads, you come across a thread from a few years ago, decide that its content is good and flag it. All of a sudden this thread is necroed without any additional insight posted in it. I would say if this is implemented, flagging any thread older than a month shouldn't bump it. If it is still on the first page after a month, then the replies are more than enough to keep it going.

new topics

top topics

join