It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abu Ghraib architect for Attorney General

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
slate.msn.com...

"President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld may not have personally ordered the abuses at Abu Ghraib, but on advice from lawyers like Gonzales, they adopted policies that set the conditions for those abuses and the worst scandal to affect the U.S. government since Watergate. Yet, despite the incredible damage done by this scandal to the nation's political and moral standing in the world, not to mention its prospects of winning hearts and minds in the Middle East, no one of any significance has yet answered for these policies. Indeed, it appears many of the lawyers responsible for Abu Ghraib have been rewarded�OLC chief Jay Bybee now sits as a judge on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals; Pentagon General Counsel William Haynes II was nominated (but not confirmed) for a seat on the 4 th Circuit; and now Gonzales stands to be promoted, too."

So, Alberto Gonzales, the guy who said that the Geneva Conventions were 'quaint' and 'antiquated' and advised the use of torture in Afghanistan, Abu Ghraib, and Gitmo is going to be Attorney General of the United States?

An interesting development, to say the least. Perhaps he'll deem the Bill of Rights to be quaint and antiquated as well?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It is covered here and applauded earlier, but that is okay.

Conservative Gonzales to Succeed Ashcroft, Sources Say

Originally posted by SkipShipman
On Sunday, The Washington Post published on its Web site an internal White House memo from Aug. 1, 2002, signed by then-Assistant Attorney General Jay S. Bybee, which argued darkly that torturing al-Qaida captives "may be justified" and that international laws against torture "may be unconstitutional if applied to interrogations" conducted under President Bush. The memo then continued for 50 pages to make the case for the use of torture.

Architect of Abu Ghraib Torture

P.S. It is torture that is antiquated, while human rights are the more recent innovation. If progress is devolving into aggressive apes, then Gonzales is your man. I caution you this is not about his Mexican heritage, but how he thinks from his policy writings and what criminally accountable actions have resulted from it already. You do not dispense with the law by saying "we are covered by other Presidents who were wrong say about Japanese American internment," do you? Do we really want the kind of tyranny that would have us going out into fields to harvest pottage among the weeds, as is now done in North Korea. Who are these people anyway, and how did they steal so much power from a heritage of kind and decent Americans?

[edit on 13-11-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
If anybody thought that crime doesn't pay, one need only look at what is going on in the White House right now.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
That he was part of the crew that wrote those memoes slipped by me.

But, hey, we got the bastards that were responsible for the abuses at Abu Ghraib.

Privat First Class Nobody and his superior, Sergeant John Q Public thought it all up on their own, they were in no way influenced by the way the chain-of-command were arguing that the Geneva Convention didn't apply and toture could be justified. Why is it that no-one in the administration has been held accountable.

And who was general counsel for Enron?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
hey, leftie scum, anything is justified when it comes to defeating radical muslims.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cs2112
hey, leftie scum, anything is justified when it comes to defeating radical muslims.

I'll assume you're referring to me, others are convinced I'm a bit further over than a mere "leftie", but anyway.

Ahh, anything is justified.

So I can re-organise the US into a giant agricultural collective, abolish all religions and schools, forcibly turn the people out of the cities, liquidate anybody who studied at university or speaks a foreign language, put the people to work manually pulling ploughs and digging irrigation canals and building earthen dams while feeding them less than the WHO reccomended daily minimum of food of any type, just so long as radical muslims are defeated.

Donkey-horse crosses anybody?

top topics

join