It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen killed by his own model helicopter in freak accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hello

Sad story here... A 19 year old model helicopter enthusiasts was killed when he lost control of his helicopter whil trying to perform a trick..

The copter sliced off the top of his head and part of his shoulder killing him instantly while his father watched in horror..

I had no idea these things were powerful enough to slice off your head, and can not imagine what his father is going through having to watch that..

Now every time Im at the park and see people flying those things I'm going to keep my distance..

His name was Roman Pirozek and he posted a lot of his videos on youtube
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
very tragic..the bigger machines are pretty powerfull
i will post up a vid of one of the best pilots around and you will see what these machines can do

im surprised more people havent been injured during this extreme stuff
edit on 8-9-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Holy crap... lucky I only have one of those really tiny model copters, because I've accidental touched the spinning blades plenty of times. It stings a little but it's not strong enough to cut through my skin. I had no idea the larger models were so powerful, that's insane.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Wow this actually made me pretty sad..
That's tragic, but I never would've thought those things could do that much damage, luckily where I live no one flies these.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlyer96
Wow this actually made me pretty sad..
That's tragic, but I never would've thought those things could do that much damage, luckily where I live no one flies these.

I have been to the park and seen people flying these things and just stood there and watched (as did a lot of other people) having no idea that if one of the people operating them lost control it could kill me wow

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Doing those stunts with a machine that has blades spinning at 2,000 RPM is just asking for trouble.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
there arent alot of people flying like that in public parks and most are flying in club fields, there are usually bylaws regarding flying ..i wouldnt be too worried about someone playing with a smaller heli in a park but for sure be aware

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

Thanks for that video. That really puts it into perspective. The size of that LiPo battery pack was insane! WOW!

Not hard to see how a person could lob their head off the way that guy was flying. One wrong move and you've got a 200 mph lawn mower blade dicing you. I've had small RC's but I had no idea these monster versions of the helicopter existed.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

One wrong move and you've got a 200 mph lawn mower blade dicing you

That is exactly what I thought when I watched that video. Looks like a flying lawnmower

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

np glad i could put some perspective on the type of machines we are talking about..check out some of his other vids, one has a screenshot of his buddies hiding behind a car..sort of humorous although this thread is about when it goes wrong so maybee not too funny at the moment.
the machine i posted is actually pretty stock but a high end 3d model that takes alot of skill and practice..that battery is putting out about 50 volts d.c. fully charged and capable of delivering just over 200 amps

edit on 9-9-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

Holy cow, that's like a flying lawnmower! No way I would get anywhere near someone flying one, but thanks for the video.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is a very sad and tragic thing,I feel so bitterly sorry for the father,poor man.And his mom.So very sad-but freak accidents will happen,always,people don't realise in how many ways even a harmless-seeming object could kill one in the right set of circunstances-stories like this very sad one reminds me of those Final Destination movies-but in real life very freaky accidents claim lives every day,even if not many.
This is one of the more grisly,horrifying examples.
My heartfelt condolences+deepest sympathy to the loved ones of this poor young man-just about the only consolation is that he was killed quickly without extended suffering while doing something fun,or that he loved. doing.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
reply to post by vonclod

Holy cow, that's like a flying lawnmower! No way I would get anywhere near someone flying one, but thanks for the video.

he does actually cut the grass in some of his vids i kid you not..there are very few guys who have this kind of skill and lack of fear of breaking his heli
edit on 9-9-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Yes..they are a powerful machine,but a very addictive hobby. I fly a 250 Align and it makes me sweat a little. In my opinion this guy Alan Szabo Jr. is one of the best R/C Heli pilots out there.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I have a T-Rex 500 (he was flying a 600 or 700 it seems) but I can tell you that when you see them in person it's not hard to imagine how they could kill you. The last time I flew mine I was having some issues controlling it, it was veering certain directions on its own and for about 10 seconds I thought I had lost control and I started to run away. Fortunately I was able to safely land it. If you have a gyro problem or some faulty servos then you can get into serious trouble. It's a great hobby, but you really have to treat all of them with respect - even down to the smaller sized ones.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

Well that is one guy that does not need to prep for a zombie apocalypse.

new topics

top topics

join