It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the State Destroys Social Cooperation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

It is one thing to simply be "charitable". It is another to know what is going on inside the charity. Anyone can just show up a couple days a week and serve food, or sort and fold clothes or whatever. The thing is the more involved you actually get in whatever charity it is you are participating in, it becomes abundantly clear that the charity system just can't simply keep up with the demands put on it. If you remove Government programs and subsidies designed to help the poor you will not encourage more people to be charitable, you will put even more strain on the charity system.

It seems that you are saying that the administrators of organized state sponsored social welfare have associated overhead in personnel, equipment and property. If they lose their state funding, they cannot perform their function.

Not only do I agree with you but I am saying that, in fact, the infrastructure that you are describing consumes the lion's share of any resources that are allocated to it.

My current understanding is that the total expense of all social services, if distributed evenly among all citizens, would probably provide comparable assistance to the current beneficiaries. That is, remove the entirety of the apparatus, fire everyone, sell everything and cut equal checks to everyone and you get the same benefit to the people who actually qualified for assistance in the current model.

Not that I actually want this but, it is a disturbing analysis of the sheer scope of the waste that currently exists.

And all we ever hear about is how underfunded social services are.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Sorry to be so brief, but where are the countries in which taxes are low and everyone tithes the poor? Where's the data?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
What the @#$% do taxes have to do with people cooperating?? NOTHING. Actually, blue states seem to have more social groups and such going on than red states, so I think you have it backwards.

Conservatives want to hole up in a trailer on 5 acres of scrub brush with an arsenal of assault rifles and avoid the 90% of people who don't think exactly like them. That's why social cooperation is down.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Could you please describe yourself. Leave out the details, just tell me how much of life you have experienced.

How many non-fiction books have you digested? How much history are you aware of? What mistakes have you made, what accomplishments, who has helped you and who have you helped?

Your answers will help me explain.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join