Is Mucophagy (eating snot) good for you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ok 1st off, the inspiration for this thread came from here

Now before anyone screams "GROSS" have a think about it, as a kid did you pick your nose and eat it?
Im guessing 90% will say yes, 5% will so they dont remember and 5% of you will lie Haha.
Why would we do this? Its not like its something we pick up (no pun intended) from the adults or media around us.

Its not just humans though, apparently any species with the right type of fingers and nose gets in on the action

This got me to thinking, maybe its not just something to do when were bored or for a quick tasty snack, maybe its instinctive and actually good for us!!!!!
A quick search for "nose picking" brings up dozens of pages with titles like
"Never Mind 'Don't Pick Your Nose' -- Boogers May Be Good for You"
"Picking your nose and eating it may be good for you"
"Nose-picking habit is snot so bad - The Sun"

Apparently all the germs and bacteria that comes out our noses as well as the stuff our boogers stop from entering our lungs may be good for us if ingested

Despite everything you may have heard from your mom, picking your nose and eating what you find may have some health benefits, according to a biochemistry professor at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon.

"By consuming those pathogens caught within the mucus, could that be a way to teach your immune system about what it's surrounded with?" is the hypothesis Scott Napper posed to his students.

Napper noted that snot has a sugary taste and that may be a signal to the body to consume it and derive information for the immune system.

OK so its speculative but it makes sense, why else would children who are barely in control of their motor functions as well as animals engage in this practice if it wasnt good for us?

Now we know its good, is there any way we can spice up the flavour of our boogers? Is there perhaps a cookbook?
There is!!!! hate to be anti climatic but cant actually find the book, just a reference to it here

The Mucus Cookbook

Celebrate your body’s pudding with 25 illustrated recipes based on mucus, saliva and other natural excretions. A perfect gift for the hiker or camper in your life!

Yummy!!!!!!

So in conclusion, never stop your kids from picking their noses and even encourage them to do so. Perhaps even take it up yourself

If you are gonna do it, maybe be sure theres no cameras around or you could end up on a youtube compilation video like these celebs

But if you do get caught dont be embarrassed, pick that nose like a boss!!!!

And to sign off, a few Snot/Booger/Mucus facts for yall.

* Snot was instrumental in the discovery of penicillin, 1 of if not the most important drug so far discovered

In 1922, Fleming made an important discovery, lysozyme. While working with some bacteria, Fleming's nose leaked, dropping some mucus onto the dish. The bacteria disappeared. Fleming had discovered a natural substance found in tears and nasal mucus that helps the body fight germs. Fleming now realized the possibility of finding a substance that could kill bacteria but not adversely affect the human body.

* your body produces about 32 ounces of snot a day
*The correct term for nose picking is "Rhinotillexomania"
* Eye boogers (Rheum) are practically the same as nose boogers
*The amount of mucus produced during a cold is relative to a person weight

Happy picking guys

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

LOL - S&F for going there! And, it is an informative thread. But eeeeeewww!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

LOL I woulda put money on the 1st post being just

GROSS

Star for resisting the temptation to do so

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

That is really gross as hell.

But one time I was listening to a radio program that was interviewing a doctor and he said people shot pick their nose and eat it becase it will innoculate them from illness. and his reasoning was that because virus enter the body through the nose.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think I threw up in my mouth just a bit at this thread.

"If it doesn't kill you............." and all.

But - still - does this need a thread?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I can say with all honesty I have never ever picked my nose and ate my booger!

I've picked my nose but I don't eat what I pick.

All of you booger eaters are gross. If you must be a Rhinotillexomaniac is it really, really necessary to eat your prize? Try snacking on sunflower seeds or potato chips.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

In Japan several years ago there was a cartoon character that went around picking his nose and eating it. Then it became a trend and before you know it everyone was picking their nose and eating it because of this cartoon character.

I cant even imagine doing it.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think that the mucosa in your nasal passages serve as a 'sticky' filter to keep dust particles from entering the lungs. If you are squeamish about boogers, I suppose you could eat the floor sweepings from your house and get that part of the nutrition anyway.

I think that I will just stick with regular food.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rochester

I hear you but since the sites motto is "deny ignorance" I felt it my duty to inform everyone.
From here you guys will all tell your friends its healthy, they will tell theirs and so on until eventually everyone knows the benefits and its socially acceptable to eat boogers in public.
On that day all diseases as well as hunger will be eradicated and we will all live to be 300+

True story

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Right on.
I never looked at my nose as a garden either.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotya
I can say with all honesty I have never ever picked my nose and ate my booger!

All of you booger eaters are gross. If you must be a Rhinotillexomaniac is it really, really necessary to eat your prize? Try snacking on sunflower seeds or potato chips.

Congrats Dude, your our 1st poster from the 2nd group of 5% I mentioned

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I say deny ignorance and leave it in there.

I am not going to be telling my buddies about how healthy it is, but I will tell them about this thread I read on here.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Are you calling me a lying booger eater?

wth? I've been called many things on this site but nobody has ever called me 'a lying booger eater'!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DixonHand

I say deny ignorance and leave it in there.

I am not going to be telling my buddies about how healthy it is, but I will tell them about this thread I read on here.

Even better!!!!!
if you tell them you may miss out some important bits. Better for them to get the info straight from the horses mouth (or nose) so to speak

Tell all your friends about the thread people

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

This is the most disgusting thing I have read on here in a long long time. Informative. Yes. Gross. Heck yeah.

Interesting. S & F for being brave enough to admit to eating your boogers.

As I told my child when she was little, NEVER EVER Stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear or nose or any other orifice for that matter.

edit on 8-9-2013 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968

This is the most disgusting thing I have read on here in a long long time. Informative. Yes. Gross. Heck yeah.

Intersting. S & F for being brave enough to admit to eating your boogers.

As I told my child when she was little, NEVER EVER STick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear or nose or any other orifice for that matter.

WHOA WHOA WHOA

I never actually admitted anything, lets just make that clear right now.
Could be hot single ladies reading this thread, I dont want them thinking Im gross....... Actually probably already done that just posting the thread

Any single hot booger eating gals out there

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I am married but female and trust me, men do some much more disgusting things. We wont even start talking about gas....And how they think it is hilarious when they pass it!!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968

I am married but female and trust me, men do some much more disgusting things. We wont even start talking about gas....And how they think it is hilarious when they pass it!!

Thats a whole other topic but while were on it, I never understood why my GFs got upset when I let one rip in bed then held them under the blanket for a good 5 min right after.
I think its hilarious!!!!

Venus and Mars I guess
edit on 8/9/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Oh that is called Dutch OVen and is very cruel. Why do guys find disgusting things funny? ?

I just do not understand

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Bogies are delicious. Sometimes i put a little salt and pepper on my fingers prior to having a good pick. I'm thinking of trying them with some earwax flavoured seasoning that i've seen online. By the way, are there any females out there who fancy coming for dinner?

<<   2 >>

join