It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angels and Demons as depicted in paintings the last 900 years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by Revolution9

Once I got that far I did a very swift u turn and went running back like a screaming and frightened child to Jesus, begging forgiveness. It took a long time for my psyche to escape from the darkness I had opened myself up to.

Magic is a strange business. Back then I was so successful in worldly terms; everything I wanted would materialise. Yet at the same time I was living in torment with terrors in the night.

Almost word-for-word, you described my experience of briefly venturing into Christianity. I'm also glad to have escaped with my sanity and now reside within the loving arms of the horned gods and goddesses.

Lol, we can both vouch for the reality of these experiences.

We are all adults and we must make up our own minds.

I hope you will understand that I do not stand in judgement. I have a lot of empathy because I have been to those places. I just had to go where I was at peace.

Some members of my family are like you and friends, too. I think in this world and on this plain of consciousness we must not be at physical enmity with one another. I will never disrespect you guys for being who you are. Of course I am still interested in all of this or I would not be commenting here.

I am still sometimes too inquisitive for my own good, lol. Even now I insist on reaching further in vision, but these days it is The Heavenly Host I seek.

To me, whatever you do you are still a fellow human being with a soul and I am as warm to you as I am to fellow Christians.

I am just saying that as it stands we can at the moment share the same plain of consciousness and not lash out at each other in warfare.

Hope you get my drift and what I am trying to say. You sound like a very deep thinking and intelligent Soul.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Once I got that far I did a very swift u turn and went running back like a screaming and frightened child to Jesus, begging forgiveness. It took a long time for my psyche to escape from the darkness I had opened myself up to.

Magic is a strange business. Back then I was so successful in worldly terms; everything I wanted would materialise. Yet at the same time I was living in torment with terrors in the night.

Almost word-for-word, you described my experience of briefly venturing into Christianity. I'm also glad to have escaped with my sanity and now reside within the loving arms of the horned gods and goddesses.

Lol, we can both vouch for the reality of these experiences.

We are all adults and we must make up our own minds.

I hope you will understand that I do not stand in judgement. I have a lot of empathy because I have been to those places. I just had to go where I was at peace.

Some members of my family are like you and friends, too. I think in this world and on this plain of consciousness we must not be at physical enmity with one another. I will never disrespect you guys for being who you are. Of course I am still interested in all of this or I would not be commenting here.

I am still sometimes too inquisitive for my own good, lol. Even now I insist on reaching further in vision, but these days it is The Heavenly Host I seek.

To me, whatever you do you are still a fellow human being with a soul and I am as warm to you as I am to fellow Christians.

I am just saying that as it stands we can at the moment share the same plain of consciousness and not lash out at each other in warfare.

Hope you get my drift and what I am trying to say. You sound like a very deep thinking and intelligent Soul.

Totally. I had a feeling you wouldn't get all riled up by that. People who have authentically walked both paths normally accept both as valid ways to live. In reciprocation, I can say I'm an encredibally Christian-friendly witch so I fully appreciate your acceptance from various sides of the fences.

Cool on you.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Of course, you're right too.
Demons either try to bedazzle you, and if that doesn't work, they take by force.

With the risk of sounding crazy, I had a reoccurring lucid dream a few years ago, it only happened 4 times.

In this lucid dream a man so unbelievably handsome and kind offered me anything I wanted (magic stones, healing wand, eternal beauty, etc.) if I just say 'yes' to him. He wanted me to say 'yes' that's all.

The only way I knew it was a demon was that his eyes would sometimes turn pitch black, and then back to wonderful blue again. (As if he had a hard time hiding his true self.) That was always enough for me to say a big loud 'No!' and wake myself the hell up.

Now I know this sounds crazy but that reoccurring dream seemed so real to me.
I've been blessed to have seen angels in real life, but I try to protect myself as much as possible to keep the evil out of our home.

But it won't stop me from admiring artists and their beautiful way of depicting them in their work.

reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thank you for posting these beautiful works of art.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

I've seen both Angels and Demons myself.
Saw an angel when I was a teenagers and
I was outright attacked by a demon last year.

They both happen.

I am not religious but am spiritual, however I do now practice protection after years on not worrying about it, I have no choice at this point but to keep on guard and not to open myself up so much as to be attacked again until I move out of where I am living. Seems "demons" can be territorial and living in the same building as one, I got to be careful how open I am on a spiritual level while one is lurking somewhere on the premises.

Yep yep, it happens.

Even if people don't believe it.

edit on 8-9-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

You are very welcome Rainbowresidue

NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Awesome painting, Darkblade! But...

Is that what the demon looked like that attacked you? No, wait. I remember you saying it was a hell dog, or something. Maybe you are picking up the image of the one in your apartment building.
He looks mean!

______________________________________________________________________________________
S&F on a great thread, OP.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

No, this is an emotion demon,not the same as what is here.

My wife chose a drawing of mine to paint, and picked that one.
It is one of those channeled emotion things that lurks in the dark waiting for you to see it so it can grab you only you never do see it, or if you do, no one knows you did.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
"God...

Protect me from the Devil and the Devils,
from the evil of the hearts of men,
from the evil that surrounds me,
protect me from the evil of my own heart,
protect me from the evil I commit onto myself and others,
from the evil that others commit unto themselves,
protect me from the evil of destiny,
protect me from myself (x3),
protect me from the evil of this world"

This is my personal prayer, I use it all the time and it works for me so don't see why it can't work for anyone.
edit on 8-9-2013 by old_god because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I agree with you. How else would a demon seduce a human if tKhey looked pot ugly? They need to look fair and beautiful to fool humans. More like this painting:

John William Waterhouse-Lamia, 1905
(Female demon Lamia seducing the knight to devour him later.)

Not only would the knight likely be duped, but he would be ready to kill or die for his lovely enchantress. Even parents often forget to warn their children about the beautiful ones. Children learn quickly that adults are repulsed by the disfigured and unattractive, but the adult may show trust and be extremely receiving of the beautiful stranger. Young children learn more from what they see, then what they are told.

We often teach that beauty is synonymous with trust. A dangerous thing for a child to learn or believe.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Isaiah 6:1-3 says
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”

We see this again in Revelation with the similar seraphim covered in eyes, which someone posted a lovely drawing of.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Here's a good one.

link

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Okay! I'm Catholic and this one made me laugh.

Good thing it's a not a picture of a certain prophet.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is probably one of the greatest collections of demons (and some angels) as far as artwork goes. I am not sure how many people are familiar with Shin Megami Tensei, but you guys should be able to appreciate the art regardless. If anyone is interested, get a 3ds, and buy Shin Megami Tensei IV, its loaded with mythological creatures. Its like pokemon for grown as men. (considering the nudity, gore and occasional profanity)

megamitensei.wikia.com...:demons_by_mythology

For some reasons the tail end of the link doesnt connect, might have to copy and paste.
edit on 8-9-2013 by 8bitPaladin because: Trouble with link.

edit on 8-9-2013 by 8bitPaladin because: same reason

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

fuseli's: also notice the mare behind the curtain. a contemporary was Blake, if I'm not mistaken. both painted in illustrative metaphor.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Thought these were wonderful and wanted to share.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

In my own experience I have found one angel in particular to be very scary. He had horns and was very intense, but he truly cared for my soul way more than I could at the time.. Jesus was very much like that. His words cut deep and his eyes electric. Neither of these fit the "wings and light yummy angel" picture. Both sort of had that glowiness to them.

Has anyone else noticed that this "demon" looks like Michael Jackson?
Mikhail Vrubel-Demon seated in garden, 1890

I also noticed that a lot of those "demon" pictures had cat like faces. My cat seems to check me out to make sure of who I am. Some people around me experience something that looks like me only it has red eyes. Makes me wonder if it's some "demon" pretending to be me, and my cat can maybe tell the difference. Maybe I have a demon latched on to me and I don't know it?
edit on 9/9/2013 by dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

If you don't have demons after you, trying to destroy you, then you are just not trying hard enough...then I'd have to call you a slacker XD You can rest assured, you've got demons.I would not be surprised if you didn't have at least 2 or three who's sole purpose is to follow you around causing grief and mayhem. You just haven't noticed cause you also got badass angelsfighting for you every step of the way.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great contributions. Here are some more angels&demons, this time with a gray theme.

The Angels

Dori Hartley- Eli, the angel of renewal, 2012

Albrecht Dürer-Melencolia I(engraving), 1514
(I still remember learning all the little secrets and symbols of this one back in my high school days.)

The Demons

Helen Whittaker-Dark angel, ca. 2011

Mikhail Vrubel-Tamara and Demon,1891

(Gray colored theme was inspired by the new ATS look. )
edit on 10/9/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: added a comment

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Cuervo
In fact. according to Christian scripture, these would be more accurate depictions of angels. Notice how the angels have horns as well as wings.

I find these very interesting. Where did you get these?

I find the multiple eyeball thing interesting as well. I'll try to tread lightly here due to the subject matter.... but there are certain... "visionary" type substances.... one of which is well known for producing very similar "visions" in a wide range of people. The other-worldly nature of these visions, as well as similarities to Near Death Experiences have lead to some people calling it "The Spirit Molecule."

Anyway, the strange thing is that one of these very common visuals, is creatures or surfaces that are covered with eyeballs.

Take a look at my avatar, for example. This is the artwork of Alex Grey. A few minutes on google should be able to tell you roughly where he draws his inspiration from.....

One can't help but wonder if some of the visionaries from the days of the bible might have been engaging in practices similar to shaman of siberia, or "curanderos" or "medicine men,".... aka using psychoactive plants to attain "visionary" type experiences. In fact, there's no shortage of academics who have proposed and written about such ideas. In fact, some have speculated that the "mana" of the bible may have been a particular fungus. Likewise with New Testament Christianity. Some have proposed that the early christian sacrament may have been an "entheogenic" substance. Others have speculated that the figure of "Christ" himself may have been a metaphor for such a substance ("this is my body...")

Tell me the book of Revelation wouldn't make so much more sense in this context....

edit on 10-9-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join