It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need A BIG ATS RANT!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ok so I don’t really try to take my time on ATS too seriously, I tend to take most stuff on the chin and move on. But my God to I need a rant.

Several issues really that are frankly pissing me off so please excuse me as I put it as it is

1: The New ATS

Right this annoys me so I would hate to be SkepticOverLord or any of the staff right now otherwise I think I would have just banned myself and taken up a unhealthy addiction to facebook and leave us lot to get on with it.

The complaints, bitching, moaning and “awww this sucks I am leaving” posts/ threads are just pathetic.

ATS HAS CHANGED!!!!

If you don’t like it you know where the log-out button is or rather you would know where it is if you bothered to actually try out the new site and figure this stuff out for yourself. Really if its so bad that you have to leave ATS then please go quietly.

This site is at the end of the day, FREE!

And the amount of work that has gone into the new site, not to mention general site management, must be incredible

2. Grammar police

To all you who have a problem with a misspelling here or their, or should that be there,

SHUT UP!!!

This is ATS, it’s not English class so nobody really give a dam about spelling and grammar other than you lot, if you can understand the thread then just let it go over your head. You command of the Oxford dictionary does not impress anyone it’s just annoying.

3. Where did all the good threads go?

Seriously what the hell has happened...

Where did they go

Did something happen i was not told about like a mass alien abduction of the top ATS members?

Because to me it just seems that recently the quality of threads has taken a huge hit. It used to be that at least a couple of times a week a really interesting in-depth and well researched thread would pop up but I cant help but feel like this is happening less and less. Honestly can go days and days on ATS without flagging a thread or starring a post. Not that it really matters anyway because most really good threads get pushed to the sidelines thanks to point number 4.

4. Rubbish.

Rubbish threads, and i mean like really really bad threads.

I am not going to name names or start quoting examples but good lord above why the hell are some members posting some of the crap they post. Its like people just post a thread for the sake of posting a thread

By that I mean the rubbish “here is what youtube has to say” thread’s or “ooo pretty picture” and “well this is what i think... AL-CIAdu..... Syria..... NWO.... Aliens!!!”. Honestly, if your short of flags and attention this week, a thread with a title along the lines of that last one will probably grant you at least a week’s worth of comments and flags. Doesn’t matter if its total rubbish, because right now on ATS its not about truth its about sensationalist BS like this....

5. I predict.

Let me make a prediction, last night I had a vision form God, he was dressed as Kermit the Frog and he told me that America will not invade Syria because before the American launch Russian and china are going to nuke America back to the stone age, sometime next week after the G8 because first Obama (who god told me is definitely a Muslim not from America and may also have homosexual tenancies towards Putin ) needs to head back to the states and slaughter some baby puppies ahead of this massive FALSE FLAG.

This false flag will happen, if you say that it wont or that i am lying i will: run to a mod, call you silly names, claim that you are simply not enlightened enough to understand my “truth” and finally I will demand that you prove i am wrong and then I will start to change my prediction to fit future events as they happen.

That above is one of my own little predictions and to all those who run about ATS trying to feel special writing these predictions, this is how you come across in almost all of your threads.

6. ITS A ROCK!!!!

Really enough said, its a rock
Or its a plane
Or its the moon
Or its a camera smudge
Or its Santa
And we really don’t care very much for you Youtube channel that also features you dancing to lady ga-ga dressed in drag.

.... ok that i think will do for now.

edit on 8-9-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I don't believe that I could have said it any better.I have stayed away from ATS for a long time for the very reasons that you outline here.AMEN
edit on 9/8/2013 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

1: The New ATS
I agree

Change happens people just need to deal with it , although I prefer old ATS .

2. Grammar police
Agree to a point , punctuation and paragraphing are necessary for easy reading.

Standards do seem to have been let slip recently .

4. Rubbish.
There's always been rubbish .

5. I predict.
As above .

6. ITS A ROCK!!!!
Yep , but it is funny what some people will post

All in all I agree

Rant on .

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Heyyy my threads aren't rubbish!

Ahh who am I kidding :/
edit on 8-9-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

wow you must be mad.

Ya I don't like grammer police too.

All the good threads are here. You just have to read a lot of bad ones to get to the good ones.

But this is a conspiracy web site and you are going to have things like people seeing things in rocks and other people making predictions.

And right back at you. Maybe those people should not log on BUT by the same token, you don;t have to read those threads that make you mad.

Maybe you should mix a nice drink and relax or something. You are goiong to have the hair raising on the back of your neck. and maybe you should shave your neck while you are at it.

edit on 8-9-2013 by EvaMarie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

This is ATS, it’s not English class so nobody really give a dam about spelling and grammar other than you lot,

It should have said..."nobody really give a damn" not "dam" !

Edit - I'm joking so don't get your panties in a bunch.

edit on 8-9-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
I don't believe that I could have said it any better.I have stayed away from ATS for a long time for the very reasons that you outline here.AMEN
edit on 9/8/2013 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

I am thinking about doing the same just taking a break or something for a while

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

The New ATS
It doesn't matter what SO does with the site. By now, he has learned you can't please everyone. So he may as well please himself. He is, after all, trying to run a business here.

Grammar Police
I expressed my feelings on this recently in another thread. The crux of which, was that communication skills are a very important part of our existence. We need to be proficient at communicating our thoughts to one another. That doesn't mean nitpicking. I make plenty of mistakes. Anyone here can testify to that. It does mean doing our best to become better communicators though.

Where did all the good threads go?
This question is as old as ATS itself. Skeptic Overlord has even spoken to the topic. They're here among the so-so threads like I posted the other day. But it still amazes me how some of the best threads die quick deaths, while some of the worst, have long lives. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Rubbish Threads
Well, one mans rubbish, is another mans gold mine, I guess. Here again. Perspective.

I predict

It's a rock!!!!
Hey. Ya never know. Someday...

Nice Rant. S&F.
edit on 9/8/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Ya I know what you mean.The ignorance was really getting to me, and the self righteous fools posting were more than I could take.I came back cause I missed the folks here who actually can think for themselves and post well supported opinions and intelligent ideas.They have always been the minority though.

The trolls bother me as well, but they are on every site.Self important idiots trying to bloat their tiny egos.I'm sure that in time I will need to take another break, but I'm back for now. I'm sure that nobody cares.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

The complaints, bitching, moaning and “awww this sucks I am leaving” posts/ threads are just pathetic.

2. Grammar police

This is ATS, it’s not English class so nobody really give a dam about spelling and grammar other than you lot, if you can understand the thread then just let it go over your head. You command of the Oxford dictionary does not impress anyone it’s just annoying.

Where did they go

Did something happen i was not told about like a mass alien abduction of the top ATS members?

4. Rubbish.

Rubbish threads, and i mean like really really bad threads.

I am not going to name names or start quoting examples but good lord above why the hell are some members posting some of the crap they post. Its like people just post a thread for the sake of posting a thread

By that I mean the rubbish “here is what youtube has to say” thread’s or “ooo pretty picture” and “well this is what i think... AL-CIAdu..... Syria..... NWO.... Aliens!!!”. Honestly, if your short of flags and attention this week, a thread with a title along the lines of that last one will probably grant you at least a week’s worth of comments and flags. Doesn’t matter if its total rubbish, because right now on ATS its not about truth its about sensationalist BS like this....

5. I predict.

6. ITS A ROCK!!!!

Really enough said, its a rock
Or its a plane
Or its the moon
Or its a camera smudge
Or its Santa
And we really don’t care very much for you Youtube channel that also features you dancing to lady ga-ga dressed in drag.

No one is perfect. We are all here for different reasons and unfortunately not as great as you are at posting threads. Instead of adding to the turmoil by posting this...why can't you post suggestions on how to make good threads?? I have been here for a couple of years and once in a blue moon I have a great find, I post it in ATS and BAM someone like you comes along and tears it to shreds. Maybe, if everyone had empathy and tried to help us novices ATS could grow and our threads could be of higher quality.

So I suggest to you, to add suggestions to your rant. How do you think our threads could be improved? What makes a substantial thread to you? What are the key elements? What is missing?? I think you would find suggestions to be welcomed with open arms and a lot of the hate and trolling would be stopped just by being nice.

I challenge you, the next time you come across one of these threads that drive you crazy, to

1) move on and say nothing

or

2) suggest ways it can be improved or add to it yourself. A simple "I found this and it will prove/disprove your theory" goes a lot farther than bashing and hate.

As for the grammar police, ah everyone has their buttons. Proper grammar = intelligence and makes it so much easier to comprehend and read. I get it. Again, it is all in how it is addressed.

Sugar catches more flies than salt.

Use more sugar.

If the nonsubstantial posts to which you are referring are in BTS, well that is where those things can be posted without being bashed. I post 99.9% of my threads in BTS. People are calmer there. People are nicer.

I get we are at the brink of what could be WWIII. But you know what, there is not one single thing I can do about it. So, I prefer to laugh. I have enjoyed reading the video threads and such to which you refer.

The bottom line is,you can start a new trend on ATS by being kind, offering suggestions on how to improve. If the OP is not open to your help, it is their problem. MOve on.

Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love.

I wish TRULY wish when I post in ATS that someone would come along and help me with my thread. I have a great idea but do not know how to get my point across. Someone else can help me and teach me and in the end it betters everyone.

I realize this is YOUR rant and your frustration today. I just wanted to tell you to Breathe. We are all humans with different knowledge and different backgrounds. We are a melting pot of individuals. We can all help one another.

Oh and as for the threads on not liking the change to the NEW ATS. ... we are all entitled to our opinion as you have proven with your rant. What is the difference between what they are doing and what you did today? NONE. They rant they dont like something. Change is hard to swallow for some people. It takes time. Any time anything is changed it causes anxiety. Just read it, and move on. It is their problem. They will adapt or they will leave. You ranting about their ranting is not going to change it.

Hugs and Peace!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Let me make a prediction, last night I had a vision form God, he was dressed as Kermit the Frog and he told me that America will not invade Syria because before the American launch Russian and china are going to nuke America back to the stone age, sometime next week after the G8 because first Obama (who god told me is definitely a Muslim not from America and may also have homosexual tenancies towards Putin ) needs to head back to the states and slaughter some baby puppies ahead of this massive FALSE FLAG.
Just this above paragraph made your thread worth the read!
!

I can’t find the thread, but there was one a couple days back about someone who heard from a “reliable source”, that the Mayans knew thousands of years ago of the impending attack in Syria. AND that he/she was going to research deeper into the Mayan text to confirm.

I almost wet myself when I saw the post.

It’s utterly comical to see these idiots act as if they’re somehow in the “know”, but in all reality, couldn’t distinguish a grain of rice from an apple seed!

edit on 8-9-2013 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Here, punch this pillow as hard as you can. It will help you feel better...

Like you said, this is all for free! One big melting pot of smart and stupid. Come up for air, you've been under water for too long.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If I may offer a small suggestion?

When you find an OP that is well done, or at least meets your standards, consider sending a short U2U to the author.

Flags and stars are ambiguous. Sure, it's great to get more rather than less, but it's not easy to tell why they're being awarded. Stars are especially vague. Are they awarded to quality posts? Funny posts? Posts expressing an opinion one happens to agree with?

Just as bad behavior needs to be discouraged, good behavior needs to be encouraged.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

That is actually something i have started doing, I know i like it when i get a nice U2U so i like to send them.

I think more people should be doing it.

I would much rather have a member send me a nice U2U about a thread rather than get a whole bunch of flags

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm guilty of number 4. I've just never cared about the quality of my threads in relation to others.
Always just wanted to quick-start a convo on whatever the topic I wanted discussed and let it happen.

I would never put 'real' work into a thread I don't think which is why i'm also trying to limit myself from making them.
Was never about stars or flags, but not about quality either. Just discussion.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Shill!!!!1!

Ie: nail on the head!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

Dude its the "I predict" threads that really do my head in more than any others

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Then DO NOT I repeat DO NOT go to recent posts....in the Predictions forum. Just dont man.

Seriously, just spare yourself the heartache. I normally am very happy go lucky, but there is one over there that could use some pointers. You know, a gentle guidance, of what constitutes a great thread and what doesnt. I almost replied, but it would tarnish my princess reputation so I didnt.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I avoid the predictions forum, I dont ever go in to it.

the problem is that these type of threads appear in loads of forums, "I predict next false flag...." can appear in any forum at any time.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

There is excellent validity to anticipating those who are posting about something for which they care about deeply, will make an attempt to create readable material. Grammar, syntax, paragraph structure, and vocabulary all play a part is communicating to the reader that you care. Using shorthand (cuz, u, plz, etc.) demonstrates to the reader that you're lazy and perhaps don't really care... so why should the read care.

Now, there needs to be a reasonable middle ground where "grammar nazis" are being helpful rather than demeaning... but the rationale isn't so wrong.

Here's some from last month:

My name's Nick Pope and I used to run the British Government's UFO project, Ask Me Anything

The Lost Cradle of Civilization

An image of Comet Ison or is it really a comet?

Nicola Tesla. Stifled Hero.

The Spaceships of Ezekiel (Revisited)

Are we on the cusp of a world changing event?

Did you miss them?
edit on 9-9-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join