It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

107 year old man killed by SWAT team in Arkansas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

A 107-year-old man was killed during a shootout with members of an Arkansas SWAT team Saturday evening. In a statement to CBS affiliate KTHV-TV in Little Rock, the Pine Bluff Police Department say the incident occurred after officers responded to a disturbance. Upon arrival, police found an "Aggravated Assault" against two people had occurred. The 107-year-old, Monroe Isadore, pointed his gun at the policemen who responded and at some point barricaded himself inside a bedroom, according to CNN. Police say that when they approached the bedroom where Isadore was hiding and announced their presence, he shot at them. Backup was called in, as well as a SWAT team, and further negotiations failed to get Isadore to turn himself in, according to police. A small camera determined Isadore was armed with a handgun inside the bedroom. Then, the police statement claims: "S.W.A.T. inserted gas into the room, after it was evident negotiations were unsuccessful, in hopes Isadore would surrender peacefully. When the gas was inserted into the room, Isadore fired rounds at the S.W.A.T. officers that had inserted the gas from outside a bedroom window.

Just heard on the local news about a 107 year old man who had locked himself in his bedrooms and that when the SWAT team busted down his door he started firing at the Police and they returned fire killing the elderly man.

I will find more information on this unprecedented case where this man died in what considered upholding his second amendment rights.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 8-9-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think of my beloved All American Grandfather who at 98 years old swore by the second amendment and lived by the age old adage of "Out of my cold dead hands" and how he would have handled this same situation. This 107 year old man was backed into a corner when they threw the gas into his room.

With all of the tragic changes this age group has witnessed, specifically in the past 12 years since 911, it is traumatic to say the least I know this first hand through my own Grandpa and the shock of how America has changed.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Yep, evil has raised it's ugly head....107 years old......they could just stand around at a distance, securing the area a little....but his life was not worth the effort they would have to go through...ok...

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is a horrendous example of how negotiations can and do fail under the new American regimes and their no tolerance for individuals rights and freedoms.

"WHY" did this have to go from a 107 year old man in desperation and hopelessness to this extreme?

Where was the onsite negotiator? Was the gas being lobbed into his bedroom really the first step to be taken in this situation or just the new protocol whether you are 7 or 107?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

EXACTLY!!! You said it, hit the nail on the head because at 107 there had to be extenuating circumstances and other less violent and dangerous ways to help him and defuse this situation.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Most likely the poor old guy had dementia. You would think there would be alternative methods to control and disarm the elderly who are suffering with a mental disease.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — A 107-year-old Arkansas man was killed during a shootout with US police and SWAT team members, local authorities said. Police were responding to a disturbance at a house in Pine Bluff city on Saturday afternoon and determined that suspect Monroe Isadore had pointed a gun at two people, according to a statement given to local media.

This man was killed for pointing a gun at 2 people and then locking himself in his room! If he wanted to shoot to kill the 2 people, he would have, we do not know what caused him to feel so desperate as to threaten the 2 people, but a threat charge would have been far less severe and permanent than a death squad without trial or investigation! Now we will never know what the involvement was of the 2 people and what truly transpired, this will be spun to protect them and the truth will never be told.

www.google.com...
edit on 8-9-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
While I don't condone shooting people all willy nilly, the fact remains that the man wielded a gun and fired shots. A bullet fired from a gun will do the same damage regardless if it's fired by a toddler or a 107 year old.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Now some of you may think that what I will tell you is wrong, but when my Grandpa came to live with us do to his deteriorating mental abilities (Only at times), and physical limitations, for his own safety, I took his pistol away that he kept under his pillow all of my life. He never forgave me, complained to anyone who would listen, but at the same time knew that the time had come for the changing of the protective guard. He still got to shoot it from time to time, but could not even cock it anymore so him being the protector needed to be handed over to the next generation.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I read about that earlier on CNN! Very shocking indeed!

Yes, I think you are right about the crazy changes happening in the U.S and how it can be too much for older generations.

I can't help thinking though that this gentleman had it in his mind to "go out in style"!

Something had got to him for sure.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

You have to be kidding me! This is why we the Tax payers support negotiating teams to assess situations before going in willy nilly as said above and using deadly force as the first and only option.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

I looked at my family and said the very same thing. I could go on and on about your post and the intuitive correctness of what you think as his final thoughts according to a day and age in America long forgotten by the new generation. They believed that they have the right to defend their homes against all terrorists both foreign and domestic. He had the right to protect his home and self against threat, he died defending that right and at least he went out in quick blaze of glory rather than suffering, sick and in pain in a convalescence hospital.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Then, the police statement claims: "S.W.A.T. inserted gas into the room, after it was evident negotiations were unsuccessful, in hopes Isadore would surrender peacefully. When the gas was inserted into the room, Isadore fired rounds at the S.W.A.T. officers

There were negotiations. They tried less invasive tactics. When someone begins shooting rounds AT you, negotiations are no longer necessary. It's plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I have to get back to work, so please continue the discussion and I will join you later. I am very proud of the old man and just glad that no other lives were lost. I am sure he could have taken lives had he really wanted to.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

They could have waited until the old man FELL ASLEEP!!! OLD people sleep like a new born!!! Don't defend the botched and wrongful death of a 107 year old man who would die a thousand times at the hands of the death squad to defend YOUR right to protect yourself from the damned Orwellian Agenda 21 future the pansy's of this generation will bow down to prison shower style!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

youre exhibiting some very absurd and dangerous reasoning. According to your own words it doesnt matter if the shots come from a toddler or 107 year old....therefore its reasonable, according to YOUR line of reasoning, for the police to use the same strategy on a toddler that they used on the 107 year old.....how utterly pathetic.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

I love these games. Lets use the reasoning in this OP.

If someone is shooting at you, trying to harm/kill you...you should dodge bullets while trying to talk them out of it. Equally pathetic.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'd like to know what the disturbance was (the article states

they were able to determine that an Aggravated Assault had occurred against two people at the residence. The suspect, Monroe Isadore (M, 107 years old), had pointed a weapon at them.
[in likely cranky elderly fashion]), whose house it was, and who the people were in the house he reportedly threatened/assaulted.

Now, it certainly is entirely possible he had dementia and was being threatening and ornery, and it's *possible* that the police could have just left it alone until he calmed down (but police won't do that, especially when there is a gun involved and shots fired—AT officers).

But the fact remains that, even at 107 years old, this man was a danger, regardless of his mental state or intentions.

When officers announced themselves, Isadore shot through the door at them.

THAT'S a no-no, and again regardless of this age of mental condition he was essentially barricaded inside his room.

When the gas was inserted into the room, Isadore fired rounds at the S.W.A.T. officers that had inserted the gas from outside a bedroom window.

The guy was obvious a danger.

I'm rarely one to side with the cops, but I really can't fault them given the apparent circumstances.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Look regardless of what happened I'm sure the old guy was pissed about Obamacare.

In which case I don't blame him one damn bit!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm sure they could have waited for the old guy to fall asleep...it's what old people do for Christ sake. how can these Police officers sleep at night.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join