It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Several thousand' North Korean prisoners feared dead -

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I agree. It is hugely hypocritical of the USA to pick and choose which country to "liberate" based on their supply of oil. Zimbabwe is another country that needs justified regime change.

Afganistan has oil?

Afghanistan has poppy fields.....

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Why doesn't China and Russia liberate the North Koreans from the Nuclear armed bastard child they helped create and propped up during the Cold War?

Why should the US/West go in?

Hypocrisy indeed!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
And the Western World is where again? Doing what?

Standing watch

peace

That's EXACTLY what those on the DMZ have been keeping for decades. You know, technically the Korean War isn't over right?

edit on 8-9-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Nyiah

Why doesn't China and Russia liberate the North Koreans from the Nuclear armed bastard child they helped create and propped up during the Cold War?

Why should the US/West go in?

Hypocrisy indeed!

That's the real reason the U.S. doesn't get involved in North Korean affairs unless it affects us directly. China wouldn't let us if we tried. North Korea totally depends on food and everything it has from China. China controls everything about North Korea. If we tried to interfere, China would declare war with us, regardless of whether it was for humanitarian reasons or not.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Glad you found a current story to compare Syria to.

What Obama meant with his red line is: I'm looking for an opportunity to get in there to help "friends" because there is something in it for me. To really make sure this happens I'm going to give my friends arms and training so Assad will fight back with more brutality. Americans are sheep so all I have to do to get them to follow my lead is show them images. Uh oh - didn't work. Its ok. I will engage in parlor games on this one; I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I can outsmart them all. I think of him referring to parlor games (said he wouldnt play when asked about bypassing congress). Except no one sees it as a game but him.

His red line has nothing to do with humanity. If he claims to be doing it for humanitarian purposes lets weigh hundreds of thousands of people (children included) who die malnourished and terrorized over many years (prolonged suffering), to a quick death of a chemical weapon on 1400 people. Lets also look at who is in more need of help. The Prisoners who cannot go to refugee camps versus those who can leave the battle zones in Syria.

He is not asked these questions though. He would just tell us he isn't playing parlor games - refuse to answer. Hoping the American people and world keep their eyes wide open in the coming weeks. Thanks for the story on N Korea.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Heart breaking news. People know these atrocities are taking place but have no power to stop them. The majority in first world nations seem to be held hostage by what???? fear???? there has to be a way to stand up and make our voices loud enough that they pay attention, all over the world.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Send Dennis Rodman to one of the concentration camps for a month and lets see how long he will choose to be friends with his new buddy. His naivety is shocking.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
NM
edit on 052013999131 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ironic isn't it? How there can be another holocaust going on in this day and age and nothing is ever done about it. How easily people disregard it and joke about it regularly? Everyone thinks we've come so far and you see discussions about the likelihood of another possible holocaust and whether or not that could even happen again.
Well, it is clearly happening. And once again the majority of the world is choosing to ignore the plight of thousands of people.
Maybe it needs to be millions for action to be taken.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
That's the real reason the U.S. doesn't get involved in North Korean affairs unless it affects us directly. China wouldn't let us if we tried. North Korea totally depends on food and everything it has from China. China controls everything about North Korea. If we tried to interfere, China would declare war with us, regardless of whether it was for humanitarian reasons or not.

China should do something to help those people!!!

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzz.....

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
America will come to the rescue like every other world event. News at 11.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i stated this in another thread
the only reason we are not all over N. Korea is simple
they have nothing we want or need.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I do not know the answer to this. First heard about it when 60 Minutes was on one night, and Anderson Cooper did an interview with a young man who had been born in such camps in NK, and had somehow escaped, a very rare occurrence, it seems. He hiked out of the country, not knowing where he was going, through mountainous terrain in freezing cold, already half starved and just, it seems, out of luck found his way over a border.....I think he ended up in Seoul, in SK, and many people then helped him there in that city.

His mother had him in the camps, along with another brother. He believed his mother and brother had been killed, if I remember correctly. He and his mother, I think, had been planning to attempt an escape. When they told the brother, he informed on them for extra food. Instead, they assassinated him and the mother. How the young man got away I cannot remember. I remember distinctly feeling sick to my stomach while he described what his life had been like, the betrayal of his brother, etc....and just knowing all these people were imprisoned like this, in the socalled modern world, and nothing is being done.

Is it even addressed politically, in this country? For years, we've heard politicians speak of sanctions against Iran for nuclear capability, etc., and sanctions against them. Does anyone even speak of this?

Apparently, once someone is identified as a "dissident," in NK, they and their whole family is then imprisoned in these camps, the "logic" being that dissidence is genetic, even, so that all generations related to the "dissident," which seems to translate as anyone with the b@3lls to speak up there, are then taken into custody.....

Even during the Cultural Revlution days, the people who were not killed were put in what they called "re-education camps," labor camps with 24/7 rhetoric over a loud speaker, daily. Fed nothing but some rice once a day. But there came a time when they were released.....albeit into a newly communist state, but nevertheless......
Did anyone ever see "The Last Emperor?" He ended up in such a camp, from Shanghai, The Forbidden City, where he was raised by buhddist monks. In the end of the movie, after his release from such a camp after many years, he rides his bicycle after his gardening work for the day, to take a tour of the Palace, the place where he lived out his youth. He stays behind in the "throne room," separates himself, from the tour.....so he can approach the throne where he once say, and find its secret compartment, where as a young child he had kept a grasshopper.....it was still there.

I only bring this up bc of the irony it represents here, I feel. The Cultural Revolution was to supposedly relieve a totalitarian dictatorship or monarchy. Children were used as soldiers, and to inform on their parents, teachers, authoritarian figures. The "class" of people who were educated, lawyers, artists, scientists, doctors, philosophers, all were taken into custody by an army of children with machine guns. Entire libraries were burned.
Knowledge and education were eschewed as the great evil, and discarded as manipulative and destructive.

In the case of NK, there does not even seem to be any public acknowledgement of this to the point there is even a reason given, no matter that it may make no sense, as the above never did, either. But here, it just goes on, and on, and nothing said nor done.

It makes it very hard to live, knowing things like this.....

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands die in North Korea every year from starvation. I don't see how this is news relative to the regime in question.

Perhaps 'envoy Rodman' can negotiate some free passes to basketball games for the inmates...

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, Afghanistan has Opium. C'mon Slayer. Gotta secure the CIA's drug supply to fund that black budget!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

It makes me a hypocrite to say that we need to let people fix their own problems and stay out of everyone else's business, but the North Koreans in those camps are living in hell under that regime. That makes me a hypocrite, I know that. If we really needed to play hero anywhere, and have it truly matter to the citizens, the NK prison cities should be a prime example of where to go. The thing is, these people have had decades of hardcore anti-US propaganda drilled into them, and are utterly fearful of pissing off the regime. I doubt we'd be received well, out fear of punishment if nothing else.

Hell is this isn’t the truth. I’m rowing the same boat in circles. I don’t think anyone belongs in anyone else's business and have been screamed at up and down for that same believe off and on here on the threads.
But this time?
THIS is the example of what the ‘Western World Police’ are supposed to be doing. Or as Slayer has pointed you - CHINA!

Still leaves me a hypocrite though.

peace

edit on 8-9-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Question simplified: Would you want someone to come for you, given these circumstances?

How about this one: How do we explain this to our children while they are in history class learning about the camps and WWII?
Tetra

Not that it may make any difference, but how about putting as much pressure on congress as to this issue as Syria?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, Afghanistan has Opium. C'mon Slayer. Gotta secure the CIA's drug supply to fund that black budget!!!

This has been stated already, but perhaps, coming from you, someone will pay more attention to it..
Tetra

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I agree. It is hugely hypocritical of the USA to pick and choose which country to "liberate" based on their supply of oil. Zimbabwe is another country that needs justified regime change. At least Mugabe is old now and has not much time left in the world. Several years tops. I am sure there is a cozy space reserved for him in Hell.

Mugabe was supported and propped up by the British, a big U.S. ally.

We must see that these empires like to knock off rulers who actually do good for the people, and don't submit to there wants. Then they find the most ignorant, the most greedy, the most evil, and make him ruler.

That's how it always goes. Why do we see Africa in the state it has been and is today? From leaders pushed to the top by the U.S. and E.U.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

there has to be a way to stand up and make our voices loud enough that they pay attention, all over the world.

There should be. You'd think there would be - as would I.
Besides writing the government and supporting Amnesty International (which I do but know little about how successful they really are)...
There should be a way...

Problem is - in the end - no matter what 'we' do? China's still the gatekeeper.

China.

You can't get more daunting than that.

peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join