It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Gatsby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm kinda surprised this only got like a 7 out of 10. I finally just saw it, I really like it. I thought it was a pretty interesting movie. A bit sappy but still, just all the crazy sets and stuff made it pretty good. Did anyone see it???

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

i have not seen it yet.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Love me some Leonardo DiCaprio,

i cried,

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
I'm kinda surprised this only got like a 7 out of 10. I finally just saw it, I really like it. I thought it was a pretty interesting movie. A bit sappy but still, just all the crazy sets and stuff made it pretty good. Did anyone see it???

No, didn't see it, but read the book, and just about everything else by Fitzgerald. Have you read the novel? From the previews, the movie just looked like some over-the-top CGI-pickled spectacular spank fest, so I had no interest to see it. I've seen portions of several other t.v./movie adaptations of said story, which also didn't impress me. What I enjoyed most about the book was the droll humor in parts, and the philosophical musings -- neither of which are generally conveyed well in movies, particularly today's Hollywood products.

I have a similar problem with the Game of Thrones series and all the hype and fandom over it. I listened to the audiobooks and watched the first two seasons of the HBO series, and I found the series severely wanting for the most part and downright cheesy and low-budget in some scenes. Don't understand why people prefer visualized versions of already good or great stories. Audiobooks are my goto entertainment source. No doubt there will be those that consider listening to audiobooks to be inferior to reading, but I'd just submit for their consideration: how were stories originally told? Everybody didn't grab a copy of a book and read it around the cave fire.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I seen it a few months ago and love it.

Every now and then there are really well made films that hold my attention, this gets into that category.The angles, lighting, acting, story line, production and direction are all great, the soundtrack added an extra layer of contemporary polish.

One of my new favs.

I would also recommend The Lone Ranger, if you haven't seen it already, similarly well made and another classic remake that is excellently done.
edit on 8-9-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I loved it, I actually thought it was better than the Robert Redford version. However, some of my "artsy" friends were pulling it apart left right & centre
I really liked it though, I'll definitely be getting it on dvd (read as torrenting it) when it comes out

new topics

top topics

join