It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Make a List of Reliable Web Sources?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I've put the Drudge in a new section with WhatReallyHappened: NA's ("News Aggregator"'s).

Thanks!

-AA

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16
Several people have named Facebook as a reliable source. I strongly disagree.
But I am a French Model after all. BonJorr.

I rely heavily on CBC new for breaking stories. They often post American news before US sites.

It is clear that a section for social media sites needs to be separate from "reliable" (but think for yourself) news sites. Added to the OP. Thanks for your contribution.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AsarAlubat

On the first part, it's not wisdom. I only wish..lol The knowledge is, unfortunately, as narrow as the effort to get it. I have a lot of time as a seemingly unemployable and currently full time college student with a few years of that left to go through University before I'm done and too busy to do this anymore. So, lots of time for effort....but still narrow to the topics.

Definitely NOT elitism. I don't want to suggest that. There's a real practical reason I don't list/share some sites that I go to. It's the same reason you don't see them full-site index themselves on Google to find on a first page result that way. They're too small or too fringe to handle the traffic rush. I've been on to see a couple sites literally crash outright after someone linked them on an ATS story which was particularly high profile at the wrong moment. Some sites also might tighten up what they have available if their users pick up by hundreds or more within a few days.

Others want to be obscure. For example, the U.S. Army used to have a site up with the full standard Army class room courses in an open and 100% publicly accessible way. I literally went through everything they had (including tests I diligently and fairly graded myself on) from weapons to maintenance. I suppose they figured out how popular that was becoming....since it's past tense, the last I checked for it. It was fun though and I love finding things like that!

For the above reasons, it also leads to the fact some take a lot of work to find because they don't index and don't want to. So, it is something of a work product in time to find. There aren't many like that...but, well? Read my threads. I source my stuff with links.

For sourcing, it's a matter of original source. If CNN reports on Unemployment, I go to bls.gov and check the index chart published there to confirm it's what they say it is, then BLS publishes a brief report from those who made the number, about how they believe it came to be that way. It beats any media spin. Report of a quake? USGS.gov, EMSC, quakes, Iris all give the scoop and the first two are Government. The U.S., obviously, and the second one is for the European version with a strong focus on Europe, across the Middle East and North Africa.

Military News is best out of the source... Stars and Stripes is a good one to watch and every state has National Guard of course. Most have their own RSS or news feeds and/or twitter feeds. You'd be surprised what crosses those sometimes. Speaking of that....Twitter was once wasted B.S. for teens texting about what no one but they could care THAT much about.......but it's become one of a few outlets everyone from City Hall to the State Department publishes though and often, broken down to feeds out of specialized areas. That's priceless.....and geographic for interest, so each to their own area and what is available.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hey.. Something occurred to be that might be real useful to share. Alison.com has a large number of online, free and self-development focused courses. It also covers high level University subjects, but has more normal subjects of general interest than a site like Coursera which is the other BIG free University class site.

The link I gave for Alison above links to just one of a whole selection of Google Search related courses online, 100% free and very straight forward educational courses going up to the expert level and well beyond where I am with it. Learning to fish can be fun, too.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Well , heres one that dosen't seem to mind pointing out a few Facts.......

warisacrime.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Therein lies the problem. With the explosion of Americans that use the internet as a source for their information, there are literally millions of news sites. Now who can we trust? I am having a hard time with that myself.

I like RT, Asia Times, Rolling Stone, (used to like) Mother Jones and the Nation. I love OPEDnews just for the commentary and Antiwar. But seriously, it is getting real hard to try to figure out who to trust. A lot of stories smell, especially lately.

Anyone have any ideas,

On edit: I also respect Chomsky, but I will tell you what, his latest comments I am having a real hard time with,
edit on 7-9-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

What about The Guardian? It's been the only real go to source for all the latest stories on the NSA scandal.

I wouldn't say it was 100% reliable, but what sources are?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join