It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Make a List of Reliable Web Sources?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Greetings ATS.

Clearly many on here have opinions on how reliable certain web news sources are..

Some think PrisonPlanet.com is alright, some don't.

Some think all United States sources are especially trash.

Some think all news sources are bologna, and they rely on themselves to see some duplicate info in opposing situations, and only take that as true.

So... what's your opinion. I would like to see url's and then a rating of 1 through 10 on how reputable/reliable they have been in the past in your personal opinion.

Could we do that; is it possible? Also, it will give me (and others) a chance to become familiar with more news sources and their.. uh, traits.

Ok, off you go then.

Respectfully yours,

-AA

EDIT:

Many have pointed out, with good reasoning, that no news source is "reliable", and we have to rely on ourselves (we work great together, on ATS here) to find the truth and use critical thinking to part the facts from the propaganda/disinformation/whatever it may be.

However, you are going to be pointedly laughed at if you source BeforeItsNews- and some site sources are better than others therefore, this list is in production.

Our List As It Be Thus Far:

SRBTFY (Sometimes Reliable, But Think For Yourself) Sources:

paper.li/AnonymousPress
phys.org
rt.com
pakalertpress.com
presstv.ir
nytimes.com
washingtonpost.com
reuters.com
ap.org
JPost
Haaretz
veteranstoday.com
lignet.com
jimmyr.com
cbc.ca

NA's ("News Aggregator"'s)

drudgereport.com
whatreallyhappened.com

SMO (Social Media Outlets) Sources:

reddit.com
facebook.com

CUNB (Completely Unreliable News Bologna) Sources:

beforeitsnews.com

Jokes:

TimeAndDate.com
edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: after "EDIT"

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: linking sites

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: links

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: links

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: conclusive opening to edit and links

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'd never consider any list of sites to be trustworthy as while it may be worth viewing today it could be brought out and replaced with who knows what tomorrow

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AsarAlubat

It doesn't work that way.
The whole point is to use your own head and make your own mind.
My advice: Question everything, do your own research...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Time and Date.com

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

there is no reliable source. I compare and contrast: rt.com, pakalertpress.com, presstv.ir, nytimes.com, wapo, jpost, haaretz, veteranstoday.com, lignet.com (cia) , reddit.com, facebook, jimmyr.com, drudgereport.com, provide a summary of sources. and of course, ats, where a topic may get some good analysis picking up info from various sources.
veteranstoday.com has really good and provocative analysis. but the duffster comes out and says, well, sometimes we have to lie, too bad... dont want to die, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The bottom line is...you as a individual have to make your own choice, you just have to be smart in determining what is real and unreal. Our government and press treats us like Mushrooms, keep us in the dark and you know the rest.
The older you get you realize in this life,the more you will see. I am 58 and been through alot of crap like working at 9/11 the pile. The panic of the Cuban Missile crisis and more ask me.
Their is a old saying for people of my age...Old age and and treachery always over comes youth and skill. Good Luck!

edit on 7-9-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Its called critical thinking, and its whats lacking from most of America.

Lack of critical thinking will make you believe everything, when you start to question and reason on your own, you will see the lies for what they are.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The Anonymous Press
paper.li...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Indeed, good point. We do however have many people on here with much knowledge and wisdom of the internet and all its addresses, and a personal past experience with these sites that I'm still interested in.

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

It doesn't work that way.
The whole point is to use your own head and make your own mind.
My advice: Question everything, do your own research...

It's good advice, but I still know that there are sites people straight-up avoid (beforeitsnews?) while others (maybe like BBC or something) don't just blatantly post bull.

Originally posted by InkontinentiaBouquet
Time and Date.com

Quite hilarious

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
drudgereport.com...

www.reuters.com...

www.ap.org...

and of course......

______beforeitsnews/

BIN was a joke but you would be surprised how many ATS members rip off their stories.

edit on 7-9-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkstar57

there is no reliable source. I compare and contrast: rt.com, pakalertpress.com, presstv.ir, nytimes.com, wapo, jpost, haaretz, veteranstoday.com, lignet.com (cia) , reddit.com, facebook, jimmyr.com, drudgereport.com, provide a summary of sources. and of course, ats, where a topic may get some good analysis picking up info from various sources.
veteranstoday.com has really good and provocative analysis. but the duffster comes out and says, well, sometimes we have to lie, too bad... dont want to die, etc.

I see. It is clear that once we get these articles to ATS, debate ensues and the real truths come out mostly in a community, group effort. It's great.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
The bottom line is...you as a individual have to make your own choice, you just have to be smart in determining what is real and unreal. Our government and press treats us like Mushrooms, keep us in the dark and you know the rest.
The older you get you realize in this life,the more you will see. I am 58 and been through alot of crap like working at 9/11 the pile. The panic of the Cuban Missile crisis and more ask me.
Their is a old saying for people of my age...Old age and and treachery always over comes youth and skill. Good Luck!

edit on 7-9-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

Respects to you sir- I'm no fan of being a mushroom, but that's how we are treated.. but it can't go on forever, can it? I do feel in my gut we are about to experience some big changes in Govt.

-AA

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Lack of critical thinking will make you believe everything, when you start to question and reason on your own, you will see the lies for what they are.

Fluoridation deters critical thinking, I think. I try to question and reason on my own, make my mistakes, and still realize I'm probably doing better than most over here in the U.S.

-AA
edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: grammar

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AsarAlubat

Originally posted by benrl

Fluoridation deters critical thinking, I think. I try to question and reason on my own, make my mistakes, and still realize I'm probably doing better than most over here in the U.S.

-AA
edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: grammar

No need for fluoridation to do it, the School systems do a Bang up job of robbing our children of it all on their own.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent008
The Anonymous Press
paper.li...

Aha, here's a good example. Some may feel that:

BeforeItsNews = 1/10
Fox News = 2/10
Anonymous Press 6/10

The 1 in 10 thing is kind of difficult though. But I'll order sites named, above in the OP, trying to heed to more reliable equals higher on the list.

-AA

P.S. OK, but we are still keeping in mind that we must think for ourselves and use developed critical thinking skills.
edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Depends on what you are looking for.

I tend to stray on the science side of things and I use phys.org... .

The thing to do is research it.Don't take it at face value.Find the source of the original story.Even look at the comments below the article if there is any. There is gold in those comments.

Research is your friend.

Peace,
Kev
edit on 7-9-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Now OP, that's like asking a fisherman where his best fishing holes are or a hunter about where the actual deer trails can be found. It's one of those things.

Outside juicy (hard worked to find) specialty sites? Well, I focus on aggregate sites more than anything these days. I check sites like CNN, Fox, Al Jazeera and RT on a regular basis but Breakingnews.com and Drudge come to mind as the couple I check most. They'd be the ones I bother checking with the limited time and ability from my phone at school, I'll put it that way.

Reuters wire and AP wire breaking news pages are also a regular load to see what the minute to minute stuff is. That's always interesting compared to something like Drudge that may only update twice a day depending on the day and news cycle.

As for sourcing stories? All I can say is, very simply, learn the .gov system and it'll be the door to all the info and data you could want or need, forever. Whatever else Obama has or hasn't done in his Presidency? He set the WHOLE Federal Government on the path to the web like pointing the Energizer Bunny. Like the bunny, they have kept going and going and going.

To put it another way, what may have taken an hour or more just to find, let alone do anything with, like read, just a year or even months ago in some cases, can be 10 minutes now. That's starting from a cold Google search bar. The expansions and consolidation in the best ways for both at once have been pretty incredible to see. Those hundreds of thousands of office workers that populate "The System" really DO work at something all day, as I've been seeing coming online more and more the past year.

BTW... That goes as much and as true for Australia (especially for environment related info) and Britain for a bit of everything. The E.U. also has a lot of web based with new things popping up all the time.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
Now OP, that's like asking a fisherman where his best fishing holes are or a hunter about where the actual deer trails can be found. It's one of those things.

Ha, I hope we can all share these fishing holes and hunting trails of information.. I don't mean to be discourteous while I intrude on your ancient web wisdom.

Reuters wire and AP wire breaking news pages are also a regular load to see what the minute to minute stuff is. That's always interesting compared to something like Drudge that may only update twice a day depending on the day and news cycle.

As for sourcing stories? All I can say is, very simply, learn the .gov system and it'll be the door to all the info and data you could want or need, forever. Whatever else Obama has or hasn't done in his Presidency? He set the WHOLE Federal Government on the path to the web like pointing the Energizer Bunny. Like the bunny, they have kept going and going and going.

To put it another way, what may have taken an hour or more just to find, let alone do anything with, like read, just a year or even months ago in some cases, can be 10 minutes now. That's starting from a cold Google search bar. The expansions and consolidation in the best ways for both at once have been pretty incredible to see. Those hundreds of thousands of office workers that populate "The System" really DO work at something all day, as I've been seeing coming online more and more the past year.

Google does a good job of indexing/searching. It's more useful than Samuru most of the time..

Google News does a good job of compiling a bunch of sources- are there sites that host larger lists of source sites and constant updates?

Respects,

-AA

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Thats exactly it. Theres really no such thing as a "reliable" web source.

Mainstream sites can be total crap and propaganda while alternative media could be incredibly accurate.

ANY source of information has to be weighed on its own individual merits.

For example, AP may release a story which uses the US government as its source... so we know it would be completely unreliable and biased.

Someone mentioned, drudge. Thats not a source. Its a page that links stories so theres no telling who the source might be.

A site similar to drudge, I like whatreallyhappened.com.

edit on 7-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Several people have named Facebook as a reliable source. I strongly disagree.
But I am a French Model after all. BonJorr.

I rely heavily on CBC new for breaking stories. They often post American news before US sites.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join