It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoothies and fruit juices are a new risk to health, US scientists warn

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
reply to post by AsarAlubat

Its obvious an orange and an apple,have more mass than just their juice ,so they have more fiber right there .
It takes more calories to burn a whole fruit ,as it does to digest juice.
This is the rational

I'll have to make people aware of that, and add more whole fruit wedges.

We will serve fruit bowls as well. I've been trying to create a healthy Breakfast Banana-Split recipe.

-AA
edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: grammar

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: grammar

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
What I got from the article was similar to my own beliefs: Processed foods/juices often are erroneously though to be healthy.

Much of the juices I consume are squeezed from fruits, including fresh-squeezed noni. I'm not above making an occasional mango/papaya/rum/coconut smoothie. Good things in moderation. None of the fruits or vegetables I consume are going to "cure" much of anything. My body was evolved to assimilate various nutrients, and those that are closer to the vine (and not GMO) are better. In my opinion.

So far, so good.

It took me until I reached adult life, to find out that- ANY processed foods/juices have downsides that make them unhealthy. Some more than others, but its almost always there.

May I inquire what benefits you receive from the noni plant? I've actually never heard of it. The search engine is running

edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: I forgot a word.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I've been trying to create a healthy Breakfast Banana-Split recipe.

A scoop of non-dairy coconut milk ice cream on some sort of oatmeal/banana/coconut milk smoothie might be good. Also healthy.

I agree with the few that said whole fruit smoothies are healthier than pure juice smoothies. If you are only drinking the juice, you aren't getting the health benefits you'd get if you ate the actual fruit.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

Delicious suggestions! I'll definitely have to experiment with oatmeal/banana/coconut. I'm personally in the process of getting off cow milk completely and switching to alternatives. Coconut milk is so delicious.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Reading comprehension is low here, or maybe just comprehension in general.

A real smoothie is blended up fruit. I make them all the time. I just had one with watermelon, pineapple and banana. That plus some ice cubes blended up, is a smoothie. When you blend or process fruits they do not lose ANY of their properties in any way, including fiber, unless you TAKE SOMETHING OUT. A smoothie is the same as eating the fruit itself.

Fruit JUICE is a different story. When you drink a glass of orange juice, you are drinking the juice equivalent of about TEN oranges. When was the last time you ATE ten oranges in one sitting? This is why juice has a lot more sugar for the amount than the fruit itself does. Juice also tends to have about ZERO fiber. Fruit, on the other hand, is basically all fiber and juice. The fiber is what you REMOVE to get the juice.

Fruit is very high in fructose. Eating an all fruit diet will not work out well. However, short of that, it's hard to take in all that much fruit, unless you are a monkey and sit around all day doing nothing but eating bananas and mangoes. It's not that hard to drink a half gallon of orange juice, though. My morning screwdriver ration is that much, after the Bloody Marys. If you drink a lot of it, thinking it's healthy, well it gets to be too much. In the article they mention how apple juice CONCENTRATE is the second most used sweetener after HFCS. Any "smoothies" you find already made in the store, and especially the ones made BY Coca Cola and Pepsi, they are going to use this stuff and call it all natural. Newsflash: Sugar is natural. Even HFCS is "natural", it comes from a plant. Hell, belladonna is a natural plant. So is poison ivy.

That's all there is to it.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Newsflash: Sugar is natural. Even HFCS is "natural", it comes from a plant. Hell, belladonna is a natural plant. So is poison ivy.

I heart you.

I feel the same way when I see 'All Natural' on the label of something crappy.

edit on 7-9-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AsarAlubat
reply to post by Trueman

some vanilla ice cream and sugar

Gotta limit these ingredients

Sounds delicious though; Avocado is a great smoothie fruit. Maybe not for the chunks on the rim of the glass...

Nah.....once your taste buds make contact with that blend, you'll close your eyes and say "mmm...oh yeah baby".

Anyway, you can skip the ice cream and replace the sugar with something else like honey....I don' know.

edit on 7-9-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
When you blend or process fruits they do not lose ANY of their properties in any way, including fiber, unless you TAKE SOMETHING OUT. A smoothie is the same as eating the fruit itself.

Sorry, faulty comprehension on my part (hey, it's the weekend). I understand now, thank you.

reply to post by Trueman

Mmm, and with less bees I'd say honey is gonna skyrocket. I'd better stockpile

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Its no big deal.each has its merits.Juices cleanse and detox.Fruits burn calories to a degree and have fiber.
I mean look at prunes datez and figs .They are eaten for their fiber.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Hey ,if you opened here ,I'd come .
You should check out a place in Chicago called ORANGE .
There are two locations .i make a point to go whenever i am in Chicago

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII

Hey ,if you opened here ,I'd come .
You should check out a place in Chicago called ORANGE .
There are two locations .i make a point to go whenever i am in Chicago

Orange looks pretty tasty! I'll have to stop by if I'm ever in Chicago..

We hope to expand to breakfast food in the future, but its still a one man operation + the unit I'm renting does not have venting, so we would have to move- but it is the plan.

-AA

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I Love your concept of fruit kabobs, best of both fruity worlds! Think incorporating fruits and veggies is smart, maybe even growing some fresh herbs to use as well, or even edible flowers on top, now that is very cool ! I'm not a nutritionist, just basing my opinion on things I have read over the years, and my own experiences growing up in a "health food freak" family...but you know, we never had cavities or weight problems, and were happy and saw fruit as a "treat"...very rarely did we get soda or junk food.

Seems there are benefits and opinions on both sides....this article was interesting. Again GOOD LUCK, your embarking on a very positive business....

www.takepart.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

We've got plans for fresh herb garnishes on some, but I haven't really looked into the edible flower scene. I'll look into it!

The TakePart article is very helpful. I might make this topic a blog post for the site.

Thank you for your kind words and positive reinforcement- its what gets me to the end goal.

Respects,

-AA

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

edit on 7-9-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
ALL smoothies aren't made from "just fruit" like they said. Some use almond or rice milk OR real milk,water,soy beverage,hemp beverage etc. So some unsweetened almond milk with a frozen banana and 2 strawberries shouldn't be an excessive amount of sugar. THEN there are protein smoothies and some mixes are sugar free, just make sure and don't get one with something besides sugar.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The raw cow milk is the deal...........after about 200 gallons so far, Im healthier than ever..

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Beautiful image. I will indeed be researching Acai more, and it already is included as an ingredient in certain smoothies in the 'body care smoothies' section.

reply to post by jazztrance

Originally posted by jazztrance

The raw cow milk is the deal...........after about 200 gallons so far, Im healthier than ever..

To each their own! I'm glad you have found good health!

No dairy will be on the menu, but all the milks including ones you mentioned, for sure. Soy, Coconut, Almond, Hemp, etc.

I think the word 'smoothie' is evolving to a word meaning broader spectrum of textures or included ingredients as the trend slowly populates over the U.S. I don't always have to use the word 'green' as a precursor, for a person to know that in a 'smoothie' I might have some vegetables in there as well.

-AA
edit on 7-9-2013 by AsarAlubat because: reply

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

UGH! I just added an orange juice everyday to my diet, and it's no good? Are these people nuts? I also take issue with this in the article:

The entire literature shows that we feel full from drinking beverages like smoothies but it does not affect our overall food intake, whereas eating an orange does.

Has anyone ever felt full from eating an orange? I once tried a fruit diet where I ate two apples and a pear for breakfast. It did nothing to curb my hunger, and I mean NOTHING.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

You can't OD on fruit sugar, get real. And you need all the natural vitimines and minerals you can possilby get.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AsarAlubat
I just want to make healthy, happy food.

Let's just hope I have time to prosper here before economic collapse, or invasion...

-AA

Ah I'm sure even invading foreign forces would buy some of your fresh, soothing fruit smoothies. As for the health risk, it is just the standard sugary drink health risk, getting sugar without knowing it.

I will go to the store and buy a fruit drink that has something like 66 strawberries, 4 bananas and 4 apples in it - unlike the article says, I honestly feel that and don't eat the rest of the day.

So although the article says that I would immediately jump up and make myself a large dinner of pasta and fish and seven courses, I find that not true!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join