It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria: The Obama Distraction

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Apologies for the gender generalization. I'm not really talking about internet postings per se. The point I was making is that for the first time in human history we have a real-time means of connecting with vast numbers o people in a targeted manner. The uprisings in Egypt, Syria and elsewhere were facilitated by social media. Are they better off? No way to tell yet. At the moment, as the movements continue, definitely not. And once again, that's my point. We need to do everything in our power to initiate change BEFORE we're forced into the streets.

The people in Egypt elected a guy that they knew was closely associated with The Muslim Brotherhood and were then pissed-off when he worked to the benefit of that organization. Hello? And so back into the streets they went.

My entire premise is that (so far) in this country we have the political structure that would allow us through a coordinated (leveraging the internet and social media) movement to oust the existing political establishment lock-stock-and-barrel. Yes, it's a long shot but it's the only one we've got. Anyone who thinks electing Marco Rubio or Chris Christie or (insert Republican up-and-comer here) will make one iota of difference is no better than the hope-and-change crowd. The fix is in. Has been for decades and the noose is tightening.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Thank You.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Understand, I agree with you totally in the last, "the fix is in," and so on. But this:

My entire premise is that (so far) in this country we have the political structure that would allow us through a coordinated (leveraging the internet and social media) movement to oust the existing political establishment lock-stock-and-barrel. Yes, it's a long shot but it's the only one we've got.

It's also a system by which to tap your beliefs, manipulate them (one more system that does that), identify and deter just what you describe. Every sword is double edged in that way.
Sincerely,
Tetra
I am on YOUR side; don't forget that, please. I'm just saying the internet is no magic panacea that unites us all.....

new topics

<< 1   >>

join